Post-Game Talk: Sens 6 Oilers 1

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This roster is a lottery team without McDavid.

Yet they pushed Anaheim to 7 games with McDavid playing fairly mediocre by his standards.

So I mean I don't buy that excuse. They're all playing like garbage, it's not a talent issue, they've been beaten three straight games by rosters less talented than theirs.

The Sens without Karlsson should be a bottom 3 team, yet they just whupped us 6-1.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Knowing what we know now two years ago, we'd probably move Eberle for Kessel, RNH for a d-man, Yakupov for anything, and keep Hall. Passed on Lucic, but definitely grabbed Maroon for peanuts.

But you know we had to give the old core a chance with Connor ... none of them have taken the ball and ran with it.

If RNH does not have a great year, he's done here too. That's why I get really pissed off when he's legit looking like old RNH again, and then slips back into being Mr. Invisible. Can't do it man, can you at least ****ing work out so we at least have one player to show for that old rebuild. I'd gladly wash my hands of Strome so we can keep RNH cap wise, but that's not happening if he plays every second game like tonight.

Yeah I'm not sure what it is. It's not like these guys don't have the ability. Maybe we gave them big contracts too early. That's actually another thing I meant to mention with the Drai contract: I think I would've preferred a bridge contract. Make him work hard over the next 2 seasons to keep at his scoring pace and success last season, then give the big payoff later. With McDavid it's more of a no-brainer because he's just an obvious generational player. Drai is very talented, but I would've tried to the bridge deal, and even then after 2 season I doubt he would've made his value go higher than 8.5 million. It's possible, but I would put the odds against it, so I would've rolled the dice on a bridge deal. But again, we don't know went on behind the scenes; maybe he was ready to sign a 5 year deal with MTL and we were sort of over a barrel. You never know. We like to think we do, but things are usually more complex than they seem.

If Nuge goes, I really hope like hell that both JP and Yamamoto work out as top-6 RWers, so one can play with McDavid on the top line, and the other an play with Drai on the 2nd line, and maybe THEN we might have two scoring lines. Ah, who am I kidding.... lol

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Yet they pushed Anaheim to 7 games with McDavid playing fairly mediocre by his standards.

So I mean I don't buy that excuse. They're all playing like garbage, it's not a talent issue, they've been beaten three straight games by rosters less talented than theirs.

The Sens without Karlsson should be a bottom 3 team, yet they just whupped us 6-1.

I wonder if it has something to do with the way McLellan is coaching the team with the new rules. Though we seemed so dominant against the Flames. This is a funny game. It just doesn't make any sense some times, and the more you analyze it the more questions it leaves you.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I wonder if it has something to do with the way McLellan is coaching the team with the new rules. Though we seemed so dominant against the Flames. This is a funny game. It just doesn't make any sense some times, and the more you analyze it the more questions it leaves you.

I think it's a young group that thought it would be easy, a GM that didn't want to "shake up" the room of a 103 point team, and now they are playing tight because they realize they pooped away two games with poor effort.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I think it's a young group that thought it would be easy, a GM that didn't want to "shake up" the room of a 103 point team, and now they are playing tight because they realize they pooped away two games with poor effort.

That's partly what I'm thinking, too, and I actually mentioned it in two of my posts WAY back in the thread (in the sense that I forget when, but probably between pages 4 and 10). Basically said that I think the team thought they didn't have to give a huge effort since they have McJesus on their team; they thought wins would come easy. I hope they now realize the truth: you have to work your ass off every game to win in this league, no matter who is on your team. Lesser teams beat better teams all the time through working harder and getting those good bounces sometimes through sheer effort. If this drubbing doesn't wake them up, I don't know what will. I would expect a much better game next time they play. But I've given up trying to figure out this team long ago, so it could be another blow out loss, or we might win big. To me both are equally possible.

Last edited:

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
Everything is ugly right now but lets take a breath and realize its game 4...
I was at that Buffalo game last year where they lost like 6-2 or whatever and this place was in panic mode. Talbot was garbage etc etc trade him blah blah
We’re a good hockey club and we will sort our selves out just like we did last year when Buffalo destroyed us at home early on.
Hopefully TMac can ease off the public comments a bit because it only adds to the frenzy we currently are witnessing

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Also I think we need to wait a bit longer for the proper assessment of newly acquired players + Slepy since he missed the preseason, Strome and Jokinen have been off to poor starts but lets wait till the 1/4 season mark being making any conclusions on how this team or specific players are going to be this season

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
It was my birthday, I'm so glad I got wasted and fell asleep instead.

I did what you did. I smoked a bomber before game started (11 PM here in NS) and passed out. I seen the Lucic fight but nothing else. Woke up around 130 AM with score 6 -1. Thank God for Weed! I would have had to watch this mess. This gives me more ammunition then ever in the legalizing debate. Smoking weed gets you thru the bad Oiler days (or Decades)

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
This roster is a lottery team without McDavid.
Not really! In the last year the key players were healthy and the opponents underestimate the Oil. Now teams are preparing well against us and Sekera and Draisalt are hurt and Eberle is traded.

Benning should be sent to AHL and Chia must trade for someone who can play in the top 4 with Russell. Nurse is not capable for that for now.

Maroon looks like slow in these days. Can he play with McDavid and being so slow

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Okay, let me spell this out for you as best as I can...

Maroon: ZERO goals
Lucic: ZERO goals
Yamamoto: ZERO goals
Strome: ZERO goals
Jokinen: ZERO goals
Letestu: ZERO goals
Kassian: ZERO goals
Khaira: ZERO goals
Slepyshev: ZERO goals
Cagguila: ZERO goals
Pakarinen: ZERO goals

But keep blaming McDavid!

Oilernation is a fickle bunch. Yep lets blame McDavid:huh:.

I was never a big fan of any of the Stromes. I'm glad its only one year.

I'm not throwing in the towel. I'm thankful the Green Bay Packers are doing well. I'd be on suicide watch if both the Packers and Oilers were sucking

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Our picks should be on the table to improve our team with roster players. Our time is now. I'd love to grab AA for a 2nd next season, or something reasonable like that. Or maybe that's an overpay; I'm not great with player value. But yeah, I'd love to see AA and McD on a line together -- fantastic speed.

I would like to see AA here as well but Chia has a history of getting bent over in trades. Ken Holland is twice the GM Garth Snow is and look what Snow did to Chia. Chia probably felt like he was in prison for a year after those trades

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
You can have 5 good dmen like in Calgary last year, but when you goalie rocks a .850 save % your not going to win.

So d depth is just posters with agendas.

We seen what our d can do 1 game in. Everyone piling on Gryba, well news for you. Gryba has prob outplayed Klefbom so far.

Our forwards have really been unlucky. Some keep harping that we have 0 goals from our bottom 6, yeah that’s going to continue for 82 games.

It all stems from the net. No confidence there, no confidence any where.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
So glad I didn't wake up early to watch this one.

OOF.

Not really in panic mode yet. It's frustrating, but it's not unheard of for a team to have a terrible slow start to the season.

Yeah, it would have been nice to have a bounce back character win after all that time off, but maybe it worked against us.

Whatever. On to the next one.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Not surprising to me. As much as he's been the whipping boy with many, he'll quite possibly be the best dman on this roster when everything shakes out.

It’s been 4 games. If he can keep this up I’ll be very surprised. Would be great tho.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
It’s about time McLellan stops screwing around and stops trying to prop up certain players and sets up some lines that lets us compete.

Bench Jokinen and play Pakarinen in his place, move RNH to the third line where he can help us defensively instead of doing too much on offense,

Move Strome to a line with some skill if we want to see results from him, we’re doing what Capuano did to him last year, playing him on a checking line, and expecting quality results.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Jordan Eberle ... still living rent free in so many fans' heads. Truly astonishing. And funny as f***.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
At least Dallas Eakins would give us his approval. #1 Corsi % team in the NHL 5v5! almost 2% above the next team.
580.gif

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I don't think T-Mac has the roster he'd like for the style of play he wants.

Also don't think it's his fault guys like Klefbom, Benning and Sleppy have seemingly regressed.

Book on Talbot is now go high and he's not confident right now.

McDavid needs to step up too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad