Post-Game Talk: Sens 6 Oilers 1

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Talbot wasn't great. McDavid wasn't great. Draisaitl out.
That's a loss.
This is a one line team.
Last year the D was adequate over all. Not great, adequate. That's it. This year, one of the better D is missing and hasn't been replaced. Chia bet on kids.
Last year the offence outside of McDavid was non existent. Terrible.
This year, a proven 20 goal scorer has been removed and not replaced. Chia bet on RNH and Lucic improving and, of course, kids.
Last year we relied on Talbot to an insane degree. This year, he's been poor.
Last season was a season where everything went right. Seems silly to count on that continuing but that's what Chia did.
It is definitely too early to judge, it can easily swing the other way. So nobody should panic but many people are seeing the expected results of a poor offseason and it's concerning.

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
That's a loss.

Talbot was horrendous. Talbot was good, but not great. Nurse and Yamamoto were pleasant surprises. Lucic and Russell were ok. Nuge/Khaira/Khaira/Letestu/Larsson/Gryba/Broissoit all bad.

McDavid was fair to good. Without Draisaitl playing the Oilers need McDavid to be great to win.

Auvitu is no good. Bring back Benning.

Oct 15, 2017
Ill say it again, Edmonton have zeroooo shooters. Not a single player on the oilers has a shot as a threat, no one timer no snap shot nothing. Instead of trading for another project chia should have aquired or done everyting he can do to get marchesseault from Vegas or most of all James Neal for McDavid. Instead we have the slowest wings in an NHL that is transitioning into pure speed. Lucic, Maroon, Joki, Letestu, Pakar, Strome are all slow and are all starters every game. We have teetered over to the heavy side wayyy too much. Toronto is killing it ( which crushes my soul) because they have 4 balanced lines that can skate and shoot on the fly, we have so many stone hand shots that when we do get chances we dont score. I can gaurentee if we aquired 1 threat from the point on d and a one timer for Mcdavid *cough* *cough* Debrincat or burkovsky we will be okay.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
That's a loss.
This is a one line team.
Last year the D was adequate over all. Not great, adequate. That's it. This year, one of the better D is missing and hasn't been replaced. Chia bet on kids.
Last year the offence outside of McDavid was non existent. Terrible.
This year, a proven 20 goal scorer has been removed and not replaced. Chia bet on RNH and Lucic improving and, of course, kids.
Last year we relied on Talbot to an insane degree. This year, he's been poor.
Last season was a season where everything went right. Seems silly to count on that continuing but that's what Chia did.
It is definitely too early to judge, it can easily swing the other way. So nobody should panic but many people are seeing the expected results of a poor offseason and it's concerning.

Might need to get used to everyone looking clueless offensively if they're not play with a top 20 NHL talent. That's basically the story of McLellan's whole NHL coaching career. Need at least 1 elite guy that doesn't require coaching on a line for it to be able to do anything.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Everything is ugly right now but lets take a breath and realize its game 4...
I was at that Buffalo game last year where they lost like 6-2 or whatever and this place was in panic mode. Talbot was garbage etc etc trade him blah blah
We’re a good hockey club and we will sort our selves out just like we did last year when Buffalo destroyed us at home early on.
Hopefully TMac can ease off the public comments a bit because it only adds to the frenzy we currently are witnessing

You should see some other websites. I had to tune one fella who was harping "Trade Talbot".

Yep that's a great idea, trade Talbot . A goaltender who played 73 games last year and won 42. We have waited a long time to have a quality goalie. Have not had one since Roloson. If anyone has the nerve to say "What about Dubnyk", look at his footage of letting in goals from center ice. He went to other teams and sucked as well. Minnesota is defence first and he got a good contract outta them.

I agree that Ebs had to go but Strome is a dud and will continue to be a dud. No faith in him or Dylan for that matter

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
What an embarrassing effort. The excuses during post game interviews and media still sucking up to the players and not asking hard questions is even worst. The Oilers are too slow on the wings. Too many players who can't skate and shoot. We have veered too much to the heavy side and it shows. Chiarelli is a master of judging heavy players but history has shown, he is not very good at judging players with skill and speed. He is lucky that Drai and McDavid fell in his lap. Take those 2 out, and this team is all sorts of bad.

Reactions: McDrai

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I love Larsson but i wish we could have kept Hall and traded for one of Hamonic/Hamilton etc and picked up another dman. Really missing secondary scoring right now :(

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Ill say it again, Edmonton have zeroooo shooters. Not a single player on the oilers has a shot as a threat, no one timer no snap shot nothing. Instead of trading for another project chia should have aquired or done everyting he can do to get marchesseault from Vegas or most of all James Neal for McDavid. Instead we have the slowest wings in an NHL that is transitioning into pure speed. Lucic, Maroon, Joki, Letestu, Pakar, Strome are all slow and are all starters every game. We have teetered over to the heavy side wayyy too much. Toronto is killing it ( which crushes my soul) because they have 4 balanced lines that can skate and shoot on the fly, we have so many stone hand shots that when we do get chances we dont score. I can gaurentee if we aquired 1 threat from the point on d and a one timer for Mcdavid *cough* *cough* Debrincat or burkovsky we will be okay.

I don’t think that’s the case, look where we’re shooting from, outide and easy areas of the ice for the goalie to make saves, that’s why our opponent save percentage is through the roof.

The answer isn’t to go even more to the rush, that’s the problem, too many players making individual plays and not playing as a team. Goals came too easy that way in the preseason and now we’re paying the price.

We have a cycle system that is proven that it works, but the players are not playing in it and doing the hard work to keep possession and build to quality shots, it seems that when there’s pressure, we throw it to the point.

The rush gets us one shot per entry and everyone but McDavid is funneled to the outside and loses the puck, we need more entries where we get multiple high danger chances, and the only way that happens is to buy into the system and work.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Yes, Auvitu was pretty bad. But when you have a powerplay, and it's failing miserably, and you're putting f***ing Russell out instead of Auvitu? That's just plain dumb.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
And to clarify, I would in fact keep Auvitu in the lineup. and scratch Gryba. Auvitu could really help the second PP unit imo.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
didn't get to watch the game (thankfully) but watching the hilites it looked to me like Talbot was pretty poor....he needs to be better....bottom line
Chia bet on the kids and right now they're failing...if this continues, he's going to need to address this

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
didn't get to watch the game (thankfully) but watching the hilites it looked to me like Talbot was pretty poor....he needs to be better....bottom line
Chia bet on the kids and right now they're failing...if this continues, he's going to need to address this
He should've addressed it in the off-season so any additions could've had pre-season and training camp time. Any addition now will need time to adjust that the Oilers might not have.

Forget the forwards for a second, just bring in a damn defenseman.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He should've addressed it in the off-season so any additions could've had pre-season and training camp time. Any addition now will need time to adjust that the Oilers might not have.

Forget the forwards for a second, just bring in a damn defenseman.
and maybe Talbot can make a damn save...it starts there

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
I love Larsson but i wish we could have kept Hall and traded for one of Hamonic/Hamilton etc and picked up another dman. Really missing secondary scoring right now :(

Totally agree with this. Chia got taken to the woodshed by Treliving multiple times now. We gave up slightly less than what Calgary gave for Hamilton, to acquire Reinhart and then despite knowing our biggest needs are on D and RW, Treliving picks up Hamonic and Jagr while Chia is caught with his #### in his hand. And not that he’s been stellar or anything but throw in Versteeg signing in Calgary after playing all preseason with us and Charelli has been owned by Treliving quite a few times. Tight to the cap, no appreciable roster upgrades and a very poor start to the year. I would not be sad to see him go.

Reactions: McDrai

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Totally agree with this. Chia got taken to the woodshed by Treliving multiple times now. We gave up slightly less than what Calgary gave for Hamilton, to acquire Reinhart and then despite knowing our biggest needs are on D and RW, Treliving picks up Hamonic and Jagr while Chia is caught with his #### in his hand. And not that he’s been stellar or anything but throw in Versteeg signing in Calgary after playing all preseason with us and Charelli has been owned by Treliving quite a few times. Tight to the cap, no appreciable roster upgrades and a very poor start to the year. I would not be sad to see him go.

I don't think he was owned. He just didn't care for most of those. For Hamilton, Boston wanted much more from us than they wanted from Calgary, just because of bad blood between Chia and Boston management. With the picks we offered, Boston could have got all the same players because they went off the board, our later picks were actually earlier, so they could have had a shot at better guys too. Our whole org was high on Nurse, so he wasn't willing to make the move.

Versteeg, he plainly tells Versteeg for no good reason that he wouldn't have a perm spot in our lineup. Calgary promises him a spot and I think they had him in the press box a week into the season. Karma points for Chia being honest I guess? Of course his honesty assumed Pulju would instantly be a top 6 winger for us, so actually Versteeg would have been in our lineup pretty solidly all year if he signed with us.

Hamonic, he didn't care, he was already all in betting on what we have.

Jagr, he said he had zero interest, again, all in betting on what we have.

Guess you can say being passive is being owned. Lots of other guys he should have considered too. Vanek and Fanson for 1-2M each? Would have been a great way to add some depth and both of those guys would probably be salivating at the opportunity our poor depth provided them. Again though, zero interest.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't think he was owned. He just didn't care for most of those. For Hamilton, Boston wanted much more from us than they wanted from Calgary, just because of bad blood between Chia and Boston management. With the picks we offered, Boston could have got all the same players because they went off the board, our later picks were actually earlier, so they could have had a shot at better guys too. Our whole org was high on Nurse, so he wasn't willing to make the move.

Versteeg, he plainly tells Versteeg for no good reason that he wouldn't have a perm spot in our lineup. Calgary promises him a spot and I think they had him in the press box a week into the season. Karma points for Chia being honest I guess? Of course his honesty assumed Pulju would instantly be a top 6 winger for us, so actually Versteeg would have been in our lineup pretty solidly all year if he signed with us.

Hamonic, he didn't care, he was already all in betting on what we have.

Jagr, he said he had zero interest, again, all in betting on what we have.

Kind of funny then that this amazing magician Treviling hasn't beaten Tambo err Chia's team once in the last 2 years.

How can you say that he didn't care about acquiring Hamonic? He had been after Hamonic for years. He even offered Hall and got turned down if the rumors are to be believed.
Chia had been one of the more proactive GMs of the last 3 offseasons, it's not like he doesn't "care" about trying to improve the team. Obviously, not every move was a good one and he should have upgraded the D in this offseason or at least bring in some quality depth, him not addressing that seems like a bad look right now. McDavid, Drai and RNH being the lone goal scorers up front after 4 games illustrates the lack of depth up front as well although I'm less concerned about forward (assuming Drai isn't out long term) than the D.

Still, it's only 4 games so I'm not ready to declare his offseason a failure quite yet or declare anything definitive at this early juncture. Maybe I'm a fool for believing in this group but I still believe that this is a good team that's just going through a rough patch and will turn it around at some point. Just have to get through the rough patch before it gets too rough.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Kind of funny then that this amazing magician Treviling hasn't beaten Tambo err Chia's team once in the last 2 years.

How can you say that he didn't care about acquiring Hamonic? He had been after Hamonic for years. He even offered Hall and got turned down if the rumors are to be believed.
Chia had been one of the more proactive GMs of the last 3 offseasons, it's not like he doesn't "care" about trying to improve the team. Obviously, not every move was a good one and he should have upgraded the D in this offseason or at least bring in some quality depth, him not addressing that seems like a bad look right now. McDavid, Drai and RNH being the lone goal scorers up front after 4 games illustrates the lack of depth up front as well although I'm less concerned about forward (assuming Drai isn't out long term) than the D.

Still, it's only 4 games so I'm not ready to declare his offseason a failure quite yet or declare anything definitive at this early juncture. Maybe I'm a fool for believing in this group but I still believe that this is a good team that's just going through a rough patch and will turn it around at some point. Just have to get through the rough patch before it gets too rough.

I'm actually not that high on Hamonic regardless. But for the price Calgary paid, if Chia was at all interested, he could have driven that price up at least. Hamonic had a bad season last year, so I can understand why the price was so low and Chia wasn't in on it. My point was simply that Chia wasn't "owned" on that exchange, he just wasn't interested in Hamonic, like most other GM's in the NHL. I personally want our 2nd pair RHD to actually have some offensive ability.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
The worst part if they don't turn it around this year, which I still think they can somewhat, is that next year the team will be worse because of the new contracts and salary.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm actually not that high on Hamonic regardless. But for the price Calgary paid, if Chia was at all interested, he could have driven that price up at least. Hamonic had a bad season last year, so I can understand why the price was so low and Chia wasn't in on it. My point was simply that Chia wasn't "owned" on that exchange, he just wasn't interested in Hamonic, like most other GM's in the NHL. I personally want our 2nd pair RHD to actually have some offensive ability.

Hamonic doesn't have offensive ability though and we don't know that Chia wasn't interested although the signing of Russell signified that Chia was probably done trying to add top 4 Dmen.

Regardless, I do agree that the Oilers severely lack a dynamic presence on the blueline and this is why the long term signing of Russell bothers me, because it precludes Chia from adding a top4 puckmover for the next several years unless they move somebody in the top 4 out.
Also, why the hell did TMac have Russell on the PP yesterday? What a brain dead move that is. That's the one thing Auvitu is good for and he's not going to be used in that role? Baffling

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
and maybe Talbot can make a damn save...it starts there
Given recent results it doesn't much matter if the team in front of you doesn't score, doesn't create, and isn't defending anything. We're giving teams chances at will. We're a tire fire at getting out of position in own end and allowing open passing lanes. We have virtually no NZ presence and opponents just take line rushes at us. We have a D that no matter who they are are backing in until the shooter see's the whites of Talbots shell shocked eyes. We're backing up allowing countless dangerous scoring chances and all kinds of time for snipers to make the kill.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Hamonic doesn't have offensive ability though and we don't know that Chia wasn't interested although the signing of Russell signified that Chia was probably done trying to add top 4 Dmen.

Regardless, I do agree that the Oilers severely lack a dynamic presence on the blueline and this is why the long term signing of Russell bothers me, because it precludes Chia from adding a top4 puckmover for the next several years unless they move somebody in the top 4 out.
Also, why the hell did TMac have Russell on the PP yesterday? What a brain dead move that is. That's the one thing Auvitu is good for and he's not going to be used in that role? Baffling

I think we're actually agreeing with each other here :) I didn't like the Russell signing because it closed the door on getting an offensive guy for the 2nd pair any time soon. Sadly, I think this is partially a case of Chia giving his coach his guy. McLellan absolutely loves Russell. Overplayed the heck out of him last year, and Russell can seem to do no wrong in his eyes.

Also not a fan of getting Hamonic when we already had Larsson. Chia trying to get Hamonic a year ago makes sense, before he got Larsson and after Hamonic was still playing well. This last summer though, I totally get why Chia would not be interested because now we have Larsson (and Russell, sigh), and Hamonic adds no offensive ability to the D group and he was trash in 16/17.

I have learned not to question the wisdom of Woodcroft and his PP configurations. The Woodcroft has a long resume to being a good PP coach because he had a 5 man unit of all-stars for almost his entire time in SJ. How can we argue with that? :)

Lord Quas

The unseen
Aug 9, 2006
It seems like the sky is falling.

I’m not all together worried. There’s been a bad stretch of games, but I believe in this group. To a man I can’t see these guys being okay with this start. I’d like to see some lines juggled, but I trust in TMac.

I want to see this
Maroon - McD - Yamo
Lucic - Drai - caggiula
Jokinen - RNH - Kassian
JJ - Letestu - stone

Start with that and see who’s going, make in game decisions about who should play more/less. Can Pak or Schlepy play RW and rotate with JJ?

On defence, I think until Sekera is back larsson and Klef should be broken up.

Nurse - Larsson
Klef - Benning
Russel - Gryba
Man, just looking at that and I think it looks gross. I guess I have no idea about defence pairs o_O

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad