Post-Game Talk: Senators VS The Lehner #2 (Buffalo) Saturday Sept.26 TSN5 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
My thoughts on what I saw from the game....

- Anderson was very leaky in the first and then just ok after that. The play was very chippy...beer leaguesque....
- The Cowen-Wideman pair was very solid. Liked what I saw...
- Karlsson pushes play and is exciting but man he gets out of position and starts running around a lot.
- Despite the goal and second star Ryan handled the puck like it was a grenade all night.
- Methot was good
- Loved what I saw from Prince, looked dynamic and we need a bit more of that.

Everyone else was average to good and just did what expected of them in their role...

agree of course, except cowen. kept throwing it up the boards for giveaways. too slow, too dumb. give him half this year to get good or get rid of him.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Does anyone else hope that BOTH Peumpel and Prince eventually make the team?

But isn't he kind of right though?

Without Karlsson and Methot, the defense would be really bad unless Wiercioch, Ceci and Cowen fully cemented themselves as top 4 dman.

Wiericioch-Ceci
Cowen-Wideman
xxxx-Boro

Yuck.

lol do that exercise with about any team and you'd probably get the same "yuck" results. It's also true when you look at a forward group and remove the top line...

EDIT : Also, Borowiecki is a Left D-man...

I laughed so hard when I read Pysyk comparable to Ceci.

More like Ristolainen.

Or when Gorges was compared to Phillips... I mean not prime Phillips for sure and it's very possible that Phillips doesn't play a NHL game anymore... The guy didn't really seemed to know Ottawa's actual defense.

Wideman hasn't been great, he's been ok. But Wideman > Cowen.

First you're comparing apples and oranges because it's 2 very different players but mainly you're comparing 2 players playing different sides... Cowen making the team or not has no influence on Wideman's future unless Wideman can play the Left side well enough at the NHL level.

Personally, I'm hoping to see this :

Methot-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Ceci
Cowen-Wideman
Borowiecki

Boro draws in when somebody is injured or need a rest. If Cowen is really back to form, then he gets promoted to the 2nd pairing eventually but that might be just next year.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Does anyone else hope that BOTH Peumpel and Prince eventually make the team?

Honestly, I haven't really seen enough from Puempel this camp to say he legitimately earned a spot. Has hasn't done enough to force his way onto the roster.

I think it might be best for him to spend the next few months in Bingo and work on adding elements to his game. He just isn't ready (but he has nice hair, though).

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I'd like to see both on the team by the end of the season. Not sure how that happens with contracts etc., someone would have to move out, but yeah - both would be great.

I think I'd rather see Puempel than Chiasson in the line-up. Not to be another negative pile-on Chiasson post, but I feel like we know what he is and my sense is once Puempel settles in and settles down he might actually bring more to the team than Chiasson is able to.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Chiasson was invisible on the left side. If we want Chia to succeed, we have to put him in the best position to do that. Playing on the left side is not that position.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
How about Prince last night? I was at the game and he really seemed to play well in all his roles. He played with the big boys on the first line on the PP, was around the net, made smart plays consistently (even when the rest of PP sucked).

In general he looked really, really good all over the ice to me. I was really happy with his game.

Couldnt agree more, forget about making the team I know its pre season but he has looked like the best forward thus far into training camp. No matter who he plays with what position he is in he is always noticeable in a good way.

He reminds me alot of MacArthur he seems to do everything well and really competes.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
People are saying Anderson was poor but at the same time the sens gave up terrible chances.

1. Ennis feed to kane in the slot for a backhand
2. Eichel cross crease pass to Ennis
3. Ennis knocks the puck out of mid air over andy's shoulder

The back hand by ennis was a bad one as was the point shot

The sabres didnt even give up chances like that.

Plus Ennis made two sick shots. Just sick.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Chiasson was invisible on the left side. If we want Chia to succeed, we have to put him in the best position to do that. Playing on the left side is not that position.

I actually thought Chiasson played quite well in general. And I am one of his biggest critics. Thought he had a very solid game and was more dynamic at times. And he also moved his feet and wasn't static (stealing a compliment to Prince's game).

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I actually thought Chiasson played quite well in general. And I am one of his biggest critics. Thought he had a very solid game and was more dynamic at times. And he also moved his feet and wasn't static (stealing a compliment to Prince's game).

I agree with you regarding Chaisson. I have liked is play so far.

Overall I haven't been disappointed with the Sens' play. While the veterans tend to go through the motions there has been much to like about a number of the young guys.

IMO the reason things look so disorganized at times is the way Cameron has run training camp to a certain extent.

After the first few days Cameron separated the top 25 so he could get a better look at where everyone fit, then when he makes the game roster it is comprised of 50% or more of the players that haven't been practicing with the top 25.

So it isn't surprising to see errant passes and missed assignments.

Once the AHL guys head to Bingo on Tuesday, I would expect the play to pick up considerably.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Meh, I thought he was invisible for the most part. Didn't generate much from the left side.

I really like the Prince to MacCarthur comparison though. They are similar players.

BigBush*

God I just cant wait until we have a 4th line of Prince-Paul-Chiasson. Ottawa will then be a really deep team that can roll 4 lines

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Sabres fan chiming in here, thought it was a great game with a lot of sloppy plays on both sides. I have to say that Prince stuck out to me, I thought he had a nice game.

Or when Gorges was compared to Phillips... I mean not prime Phillips for sure and it's very possible that Phillips doesn't play a NHL game anymore... The guy didn't really seemed to know Ottawa's actual defense.

I think he just mean that the style that Phillip's plays is similar to Gorges' - both defensively capable. But it is also not fair to compare Ceci to Ristolainen. Cecil and Pysyk are actually quite close, I don't know why he had to throw Ristolainen's name there. By all accounts Ristolainen projects as a much better player than Ceci.

BigBush*

Sabres fan chiming in here, thought it was a great game with a lot of sloppy plays on both sides. I have to say that Prince stuck out to me, I thought he had a nice game.

I think he just mean that the style that Phillip's plays is similar to Gorges' - both defensively capable. But it is also not fair to compare Ceci to Ristolainen. Cecil and Pysyk are actually quite close, I don't know why he had to throw Ristolainen's name there. By all accounts Ristolainen projects as a much better player than Ceci.
The difference between Ristolainen and Ceci is the same as Ceci and Pysyk. Ceci projects to be much better then him as well.

I know Ceci isn't as flashy as Maata and Reilly and some other stud dman from that draft but he his already a solid second pairing Dman with upside

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I went last night and I was mainly watching Paul every time he went onto the ice since its the first time I saw him live, and hearing he is the next Stone. It was hard to evaluate him because he had two dumbbells playing on his wings. I like how he plays hard and chippy, especially along the boards he is really hard to play against, but god is he slow. He did score that goal which was nice, but it wasn't a hard one to bank because of Buffalos poor D giving him and Neil a rush.His grit shows promise you can tell he has heart and wants to win and perform more than the average dude but I don't think he is ready just because of the foot speed tbh. just my opinion tho.

BigBush*

I went last night and I was mainly watching Paul every time he went onto the ice since its the first time I saw him live, and hearing he is the next Stone. It was hard to evaluate him because he had two dumbbells playing on his wings. I like how he plays hard and chippy, especially along the boards he is really hard to play against, but god is he slow. He did score that goal which was nice, but it wasn't a hard one to bank because of Buffalos poor D giving him and Neil a rush.His grit shows promise you can tell he has heart and wants to win and perform more than the average dude but I don't think he is ready just because of the foot speed tbh. just my opinion tho.

Ya I don't find hes slow at all but I have heard others mention that. I liked the comparison to Lucic the announcers made last night as he gets up and down the ice well and knows how to use his frame to protect the puck.

I don't think he has a very high offensive ceiling but I think he will be a good 3rd line center. He is already very good defensively.

One thing for sure is management is very high on him and talk about him a lot but that could be because he was a big piece in the Spezza trade

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

I tried to notice him too. Seemed slowish and behind the play at times. But then his first taste of the NHL.... Probably learn a lot the first couple of months in Bingo. Maybe get "quicker". Being quick is about reaction over just skate stride. Stone is quite "quick" even though he still isn't that fast. It is that extra millisecond of committment to do something that he might be lacking. Though if he is 240 pounds or something I heard in camp... Maybe he just got too heavy and needs to get lighter to be quick. Probably will lose some of that weight playing at an 80 game a year pace in the AHL in a few months, on hopefully one of the top two lines. Just from the sheer amount he will have to play?

Not worried at all, he just doesn't seem near the finished product some might have wished him to be.

Last edited:

BigBush*

crazy ya i couldnt disagree more with both of you guys. I find he moves around the ice pretty well for a big guy. watch the goal from last night; comes back deep into his own zone and then beats Kane up the ice to get inside body position. i saw him doing that a lot last night

edit: ya just rewatched Paul's shift from the 1st period. He does look a tad slow. hopefully he gets quicker in the next couple of years and he'll be a real player. he can get away with being a bit slower because he's so big and wins 1 on 1 battles. he plays some good straight line hockey. he actually had an incredible first period, was pretty dominant every shift. I still think our best 4th line option is Prince-Paul-Chiasson. He also has a huge wingspan compared to a guy like O'Dell

Last edited by a moderator:

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
agree of course, except cowen. kept throwing it up the boards for giveaways. too slow, too dumb. give him half this year to get good or get rid of him.
I didn't think Cowen was great but he positioned himself well, skated well and generally put himself in good positions. I agree on the passing but I thought Wideman was good at moving the puck up the ice so they were good partners. In terms of how much time he gets, trade deadline imo. If we don't see a significant improvement he is on his way out...

BigBush*

Cowen-Wideman could be a good 3rd pairing. I thought Wideman had a great camp

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
With young players coming straight from junior leagues to the NHL there always seems to be an adjustment conditioning wise. Maybe thats Paul's problem. I'm not saying he's out of shape it just pro players are much more conditioned to play in the NHL. Ive seen Paul look fast and powerful in the past.

Paul also said he was extremely nervous.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
With young players coming straight from junior leagues to the NHL there always seems to be an adjustment conditioning wise. Maybe thats Paul's problem. I'm not saying he's out of shape it just pro players are much more conditioned to play in the NHL. Ive seen Paul look fast and powerful in the past.

Paul also said he was extremely nervous.
Many guys look fast in junior but look very average when they get to the NHL. A buddy of mine was so disappointed when Kadri's breakaway speed that he had in the OHL completely disappeared when he made the bigs. That is why Karlsson is so exciting...to have breakaway anything in the NHL speaks to being truly elite...best in the world...

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

This is what management had asked of Cowen.

I thought he played pretty well. When he did chip it up-ice, he successfully cleared the zone.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is what management had asked of Cowen.

I thought he played pretty well. When he did chip it up-ice, he successfully cleared the zone.

I honestly think unless Cowen becomes Methot 2.0, people will hate him. He tries something risky, and people complain that he should have played it safe. He plays it safe, people complain that he just turned it over and killed any offensive chance.

He's got the skill set to be a pretty effective player if he can get his confidence back, and refine his decision making a bit. His skating looks much better, but he seems a bit stiff pivoting and moving laterally.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We have to remember, Cowen hasn't played in a long time, and finally had surgery this summer.

We probably won't see him hit his groove til around mid-November or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad