Post-Game Talk: Senators VS The Lehner #2 (Buffalo) Saturday Sept.26 TSN5 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
If the NHL doesn't crack down on 3 different kneeing infractions that weren't called during the game they are leaving themselves wide open for potential successful future lawsuits. The last 2 on Smith were bad. For the last one we got the refs point of view from the end zone on the replay and its hard to see how he could have missed that.

I don't disagree that it's a problem, but that's a bit dramatic.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Ryan is playing atrocious.

The guy has made countless giveaways all game and that one was the worst of em all and a pass no real elite player woulda made or messed up.

Yea it's pre-season but who the hell makes that pass on the PP with a lot of time left and empty net on the other end? That was Spezza-esque.

That whole line was off tonight. That strip on MacArthur was bush league.

Seems like they didn't care tonight. Oh well, it's preseason.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
2 cents from the other side: I don't have a problem with Ennis' hit. Kane's hit was lined up correctly but Smith understandably tried to avoid it, leading to what happened. The announcer seemed to agree with that assessment. McGinn's hit is the one I thought was just a bad knee-to-knee hit. His positioning was at best reckless. I really like Smith so I was glad to see him get up and hope he's fine. Obviously when you put all three of those together it's going to boil a lot of blood.

Just want to say I think Karlsson's going to be even better this year. He's looked great this preseason. Hope he wins another Norris just to spite the "lol he's a 4th forward" crowd.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
Just watched highlights. Based on them: Sens was better but unluckie. Anderson was bad. Cowen :shakehead Karlsson :bow:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Just want to say I think Karlsson's going to be even better this year. He's looked great this preseason. Hope he wins another Norris just to spite the "lol he's a 4th forward" crowd.
I made the post "Is this the year Karlsson scores 100" on the Sabres board and it wasn't really a joke. He could have had 4 or 5 points tonight.

Everyone gets so caught up calling Eichel and McDavid "generational" but I really feel like Karlsson is "generational" offensively. I don't think there's a player that scares me more when he's on the ice than him.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
You can all quote me on this

When it is all said and done, Eichel will be seen as better than McDavid

I think McDavid is the better raw player, but I have far more faith in Buffalo to properly develop Eichel than I do in Edmonton to handle McDavid, so in that context I agree with you.

McDavid is effectively starting his career out of the gates with his shoelaces tied together.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa

all we be said and done a really long time from now :laugh:

Everyone gets so caught up calling Eichel and McDavid "generational" but I really feel like Karlsson is "generational" offensively. I don't think there's a player that scares me more when he's on the ice than him.
you don't tend to get scared of your own player. eichel was downright scary because he's everywhere and doesn't waste a second when opportunity is there to steal a puck or rush

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I think the big difference between the two will be between the ears, and how they handle the next few years.

Something about McDavid has always felt a bit off to me. The official stories about his character, the way he talks and handles things, his demeanor in general. It's funny....thinking back to the Toronto days to now, Josh Ho Sang went too far one way on the emotional scale, and I think McDavid went too far in the opposite direction. McDavid cares too much, and he puts too much on his shoulders. He thinks too much. It's like he has the weight of the entire planet on his shoulders and is trying too hard to do everything right. It's great to want to be the best person possible, but he is so intense about it......it almost feels like he's going to burn himself out mentally. And like Bonk said....that Oilers organization...bad one for him to go to. Now only are they poor at development, but they don't protect their guys at all (and no, I don't mean having a goon bodyguard on the ice, either). Being in a Canadian city will just make it worse.

Eichel is definitely in a better situation.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
you don't tend to get scared of your own player. eichel was downright scary because he's everywhere and doesn't waste a second when opportunity is there to steal a puck or rush

False. We Sabres fans were routinely scared by over half our players the past couple years -- at least, we would've been if we wanted to win. Wait. We were definitely scared by Meszaros when he suddenly decided to become a clutch goal-scorer down the stretch last season. :laugh:

I think the big difference between the two will be between the ears, and how they handle the next few years.

Something about McDavid has always felt a bit off to me. The official stories about his character, the way he talks and handles things, his demeanor in general. It's funny....thinking back to the Toronto days to now, Josh Ho Sang went too far one way on the emotional scale, and I think McDavid went too far in the opposite direction. McDavid cares too much, and he puts too much on his shoulders. He thinks too much. It's like he has the weight of the entire planet on his shoulders and is trying too hard to do everything right. It's great to want to be the best person possible, but he is so intense about it......it almost feels like he's going to burn himself out mentally. And like Bonk said....that Oilers organization...bad one for him to go to. Now only are they poor at development, but they don't protect their guys at all (and no, I don't mean having a goon bodyguard on the ice, either). Being in a Canadian city will just make it worse.

Eichel is definitely in a better situation.

I agree to an extent, but I don't think it's going to affect his career. I do think it's harder to genuinely like athletes, beyond what they bring to your team or appreciating their games, when their personalities seem so consciously manufactured. I'm sure McDavid's natural personality is humble, down-to-earth, etc, but he clearly has been working on ratcheting that up to ridiculous Gretzkian proportions because he's long felt that is what's expected of the player he's destined to be. Eichel, on the other hand, while fairly humble and down-to-earth, makes it seem more natural while having far more swagger to his personality. I'm not sure it matters with respect to the ice as it sure didn't hurt Gretzky, but if these two players were on neutral teams I'd easily like Eichel more than McDavid (not a comment on their respective games).

I definitely agree Eichel is in a more comfortable position without the pressure that comes with a struggling Canadian franchise as well as being seen as "the next one". That doesn't necessarily change how they'd pan out providing both were capable of handling that pressure, which I imagine they are.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
False. We Sabres fans were routinely scared by over half our players the past couple years -- at least, we would've been if we wanted to win. Wait. We were definitely scared by Meszaros when he suddenly decided to become a clutch goal-scorer down the stretch last season. :laugh:

I agree to an extent, but I don't think it's going to affect his career. I do think it's harder to genuinely like athletes, beyond what they bring to your team or appreciating their games, when their personalities seem so consciously manufactured. I'm sure McDavid's natural personality is humble, down-to-earth, etc, but he clearly has been working on ratcheting that up to ridiculous Gretzkian proportions because he's long felt that is what's expected of the player he's destined to be. Eichel, on the other hand, while fairly humble and down-to-earth, makes it seem more natural while having far more swagger to his personality. I'm not sure it matters with respect to the ice as it sure didn't hurt Gretzky, but if these two players were on neutral teams I'd easily like Eichel more than McDavid (not a comment on their respective games).

I definitely agree Eichel is in a more comfortable position without the pressure that comes with a struggling Canadian franchise as well as being seen as "the next one". That doesn't necessarily change how they'd pan out providing both were capable of handling that pressure, which I imagine they are.

I think the problem is more the pressure is a lot different compared to Gretzky's day.

It's not just the basic hockey stuff, and fans in the city. It's social media, news broadcasting 24 hours a day, and this instant world full of camera phones everywhere, and anyone connected to the net having a voice.

Buffalo is a great hockey city and all, but the sheer intensity in Canada, especially with the lack of a Cup winner for so long....the players up here can barely breathe these days. Add in the situation in Edmonton and McDavid wanting too much to please everyone and be 'the one'.....I wonder in the next few years if the expectations will just crush the kid.

Like you said, Eichel's personality, especially being able to step back and laugh a bit.....that is huge. That is one of the big things that will help Eichel survive the onslaught of expectations...and the thing I worry about with McDavid.

People expect way too much out of these kids today. Not just McEichel, but all the first rounders. You can only put people through so much pressure for so long...ya know?

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
How about Prince last night? I was at the game and he really seemed to play well in all his roles. He played with the big boys on the first line on the PP, was around the net, made smart plays consistently (even when the rest of PP sucked).

In general he looked really, really good all over the ice to me. I was really happy with his game.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
How about Prince last night? I was at the game and he really seemed to play well in all his roles. He played with the big boys on the first line on the PP, was around the net, made smart plays consistently (even when the rest of PP sucked).

In general he looked really, really good all over the ice to me. I was really happy with his game.

He's definitely showing that he wants to be part of the big club.

I think the bigger test will be the first dozen or so games of the season, when the vets are playing 'for real.' But some good signs so far.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
it's clear we can't expose prince to waivers

This. The team is fully aware of this by now.

They have to either make room if they want Puempel and/or Paul up here along with Prince, or let it be for now, and go with Prince as the guy that sticks.

He's proving he belongs more and more everyday. I don't even see the size being an issue as he looks like he has good balance and strength on his skates, and is agile enough to avoid most hits. He also seems willing to battle in the corners so Im really an not seeing any flaws with him.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There is zero correlation between pre-season and regular season win/loss records. We all know that, of course, but as a fan you can't help but get agitated when your team is on the wrong end of the scoreboard, September or not.

You also can't help but get a little upset when key veterans like Craig Anderson and Bobby Ryan put in poor performances but let's be honest - it's hard to ask a vet to get motivated for a September skate. Ultimately, pre-season is about judging the performances of the prospects and borderline roster guys. On that score, you have to be pleased with what we have seen from picks like Chabot, Paul and to an extent Gagne, and from a guy like Prince for whom this is a make or break year. It's hard to think of one key prospect who has looked terribly out of place, so that's encouraging for the club overall.

Man, pre-season drags on forever - this is almost as bad as the NFL. Can't wait to see a game that actually counts for two points....

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
O'Dell looked really lost last night. Skated around like a madman, however. Bet he covered the most kms.

It's nice to have O'Dell and Kostka around. They won't necessarily make the team better, but they make the organization a little deeper and can be vets that can come up if need be and they seem like guys who won't hurt you if they're taking depth minutes. While at the same time they're not blocking anyone from developing in Bingo b/c they can fill pretty much the same roles there.

Once they learn the systems I suspect they'll both be competent adds. Sometimes our depth veterans have been skill guys w/o enough skill to translate to the NHL and they've logjammed the top six minutes in Bingo and haven't been overly capable of supporting Ottawa if they're up and playing bottom six.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

He was everywhere and showed off what he can bring at the NHL level. At times he tried to force passes or ignored easy passes to open players though. Overall he was one of the better forwards but he still is a rookie

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
People are saying Anderson was poor but at the same time the sens gave up terrible chances.

1. Ennis feed to kane in the slot for a backhand
2. Eichel cross crease pass to Ennis
3. Ennis knocks the puck out of mid air over andy's shoulder

The back hand by ennis was a bad one as was the point shot

The sabres didnt even give up chances like that.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
My thoughts on what I saw from the game....

- Anderson was very leaky in the first and then just ok after that. The play was very chippy...beer leaguesque....
- The Cowen-Wideman pair was very solid. Liked what I saw...
- Karlsson pushes play and is exciting but man he gets out of position and starts running around a lot.
- Despite the goal and second star Ryan handled the puck like it was a grenade all night.
- Methot was good
- Loved what I saw from Prince, looked dynamic and we need a bit more of that.

Everyone else was average to good and just did what expected of them in their role...

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
What I like about Prince is that he moves his feet. So many guys on our roster, at least when they're struggling, get so static. Hopefully he continues to play like that.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
What I like about Prince is that he moves his feet. So many guys on our roster, at least when they're struggling, get so static. Hopefully he continues to play like that.

Preach!

That's got to me my biggest pet peeve with this team since....forever. I know the guys can't be moving their legs 100% of every single shift....but damn, there are a ton of gliders on the team at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad