Post-Game Talk: Senators VS The Lehner #2 (Buffalo) Saturday Sept.26 TSN5 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Lehner is apparently starting tonight for the Sabres, so i doubt we see him tomorrow in net for the Sabres.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Get to go to this one. Sucks I won't get to see my boy Lehner play.
Hoping to see my top 3 (Zibby, Karlsson, Turris)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, I don't want to play against Lehner again. He's going to have a hard time this year behind that D, and I really don't want to see him fail (unless they're playing against Ottawa). No sense being bitter....we got some excellent kids this draft, partly due to that trade.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
We are the only team to defeat the mighty Buffalo Sabres so far. Twice. Let's do it for the third time.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Eichel will be playing this time. Unfortunately our worst D are likely playing again.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
that was the guys first game in over half a year... Tim knows Lehner has top 5 potential.

It was a horrible trade by Murray. You don't give up a 1st for a goalie that has the potential (a very small chance i might add) to be a top 5 goalie. The last goalie that received a 1st was Schneider and he was more proven and much better then Lehner is now.

What is most likely to happen is Lehner becomes a very average goalie that you may be able to win with if you have a great defense, but i bet he won't be one of those elite goalies (Rinne, Price, Lundqvist, Rask, Bobrovski, etc.) that is capability of stealing a bunch of games for you.

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
It was a horrible trade by Murray. You don't give up a 1st for a goalie that has the potential (a very small chance i might add) to be a top 5 goalie. The last goalie that received a 1st was Schneider and he was more proven and much better then Lehner is now.
It's already been reported that Buffalo wasn't the only team offering a 1st for Lehner. They were the only team willing to take on Legwand as well.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

What is most likely to happen is Lehner becomes a very average goalie that you may be able to win with if you have a great defense, but i bet he won't be one of those elite goalies (Rinne, Price, Lundqvist, Rask, Bobrovski, etc.) that is capability of stealing a bunch of games for you.

It wasn't a horrible trade.

Robin Lehner is an inconsistent goalie, but he has already had a better career at the age of 23 than a lot of prospects in the late half of the draft will probably go on to have. Buffalo dealt from a position of strength and traded risk for risk, with the big difference being that Lehner actually fills a need right away where as which ever player they'd take at 21 would be years away if they ever become a regular NHLer.

There is this weird meme that goalies have no value, but there are multiple instances over the last few years where highly touted young goalies get fair returns. Varlamov to Colorodo, Yzerman gave up the equivalent amount that Buf gave up for Lehner to get Lindback from Nashville, and then gave up at the time what looked like a really good young player in Conacher to get Bishop.

Whether Lehner booms or busts, it was an alright trade. If Murray doesn't give up the first, he doesn't get Lehner. If he actually thinks Lehner has consistent starter potential, and he could nab him for a 21st overall pick and set up his team for the next decade, he would have done a huge disservice to the Sabres by not picking him up.

If he's wrong about Lehner, then he's wrong about him. But it wasn't a bad move at all.

Oct 31, 2011
Ottawa
Methot is in the line up. Crisis averted.

beadssweat.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad