Prospect Info: Senators Rookie Camp / Prospect Challenge gets underway this week

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I posted the other day, we've got a core of 7 or 8 guys and they pretty much fill those top 6 and top 4 spots. I think everyone else is just an interchangeable part. When you look at the rosters of teams that have won multiple cups over short time frames, you see cores that win and significant turnover everywhere else in the roster.

Our core is pretty Locked in. It's either good enough or not. We'll see how it plays out.
Yes, I agree with that. The core has been identified. A top notch RD might be an addition that is needed eventually, but I guess it will depend on how things shake out. The rest will change over time as you say.

I had some reason for my post based on what I had read, but I honestly can't remember exactly what it is. I think it was just that one way people talk about the qualitative aspects of a prospect is to make a judgement (guess) on their ceiling. It was a stand alone point and not a comment on the strength of team (or core) that has been assembled.

I agree that we will see how good the core is over the next few years in comparison to the (other) top echelon teams. I'd be guessing on that, so I will just watch and enjoy watching the games & how things unfold.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
His channel as a whole is well worth a look, not so much the podcast stuff where he brings on a guest and chats, but the in depth song breakdowns. The long format ones are the best imo, and if you're like me, you'll love the August is Falling series.
I guess I need to take a look.

I guess his format is to dissect a song while making fun of it.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Does he get into the diatonic or modal type thing or are the songs mostly triadic? I'm not sure if I'm conveying the question in a good or proper way to make it clear what I am asking.
Can't say as I've ever heard someone breakdown a song and get into what mode the guitar player is soloing in.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Does he get into the diatonic or modal type thing or are the songs mostly triadic? I'm not sure if I'm conveying the question in a good or proper way to make it clear what I am asking.
Uh, he's not really getting deep into music theory if that's what you're getting at, he'll call out the odd I V VI IV chord progressions or talk about (and show) how Kid Rock decided to have the solo in all summer long be in the wrong key, harp on some bad lyrics, but it's all done in a way that's approachable even for someone without any music theory background.

When he does get into the music theory stuff he'll light-heartedly call out beato's name as a bit of a joke.

Reactions: Flamingo

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Can't say as I've ever heard someone breakdown a song and get into what mode the guitar player is soloing in.
Beato probably has, if it's what makes the song unique or interesting.

Edit: for what it's worth, Rick Beato's what makes this song great is what Pay Finnerty is playing off of with his videos, both are really great in their own way, though Beato isn't there to be funny and probably appeals more to musicians

Reactions: Flamingo and DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Beato probably has, if it's what makes the song unique or interesting.

Edit: for what it's worth, Rick Beato's what makes this song great is what Pay Finnerty is playing off of with his videos, both are really great in their own way, though Beato isn't there to be funny and probably appeals more to musicians
I'm going to have to check this guy out. I play guitar and learned all the modes years back. Painful stuff.

Reactions: Flamingo

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm going to have to check this guy out. I play guitar and learned all the modes years back. Painful stuff.
Which guy, beato or Pat Finnerty?

Beato is one part YouTube music teacher one part entertainment, he has a what makes this song great series that the average Joe might stumble across and enjoy, then he has a bunch of lesson videos (there's some on modes if you want to revisit your past ...)

Finnerty is pure entertainment with some light music theory occasionally injected to illustrate a point (beato does that too in the WMTSG series)

Finnerty rips on Weezer, Red hot Chilli peppers, Lenny Kravitz, Train, ect, all good fun..

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Edit - After reading your posts, I see that I provided an explanation of modes that was unnecessary. My bad. I'll just leave it as there was a lot to type. LOL.

In certain types of music, breaking down the song and figuring out what mode to play over certain chords is very common. You'd do this so that you can play/improvise a solo for the song. Jazz, Bossa, etc. would be musical genres where this is common.

In triadic music, which is the more popular type of music most people listen to, once you figure out what key the song is in, you can stick with playing a solo in that key for the entire song in the vast majority of cases. In jazz (bossa, whatever), the key can change multiple times in the song.

Here is a very simple example. Let's say one segment of the song contains the following 3 chords:

Am7 D7 Gmaj7

This is ii V I ( 2 5 1) in the key of G major. Am7 is the ii chord. D7 is V chord. Gmaj7 is the I chord.

The modes would be:
  • Dorian for the ii chord,
  • Mixolydian for the V chord
  • Ionian for the I chord.
So, breaking down the song into different approaches for a solo, you have the option of playing:

-> G major for that entire 2 5 1 segment.

-> "Playing the changes" using the different notes for the different modes - dorian over the ii chord, mixolydian over the V chord, and Ionian over the I chord.

-> Or, knowing that the key for this song is G major, you could also play the relative minor = E minor, or even E minor pentatonic.

And of course, you can mix and match over the segment as well.

The thing is that for the next group of chords, the song could change key, so you'd have to go through a similar process again to figure out what key and modes are being used so that you end up playing the correct notes in your solo.

Last edited:
Reactions: senswon

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Uh, he's not really getting deep into music theory if that's what you're getting at, he'll call out the odd I V VI IV chord progressions or talk about (and show) how Kid Rock decided to have the solo in all summer long be in the wrong key, harp on some bad lyrics, but it's all done in a way that's approachable even for someone without any music theory background.

When he does get into the music theory stuff he'll light-heartedly call out beato's name as a bit of a joke.
Ok, I've checked it out a bit, and edited my post as well.

He's kind of doing a satire of the music but at the same time breaking down the song to a degree, although that's not his main objective or purpose.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Which guy, beato or Pat Finnerty?

Beato is one part YouTube music teacher one part entertainment, he has a what makes this song great series that the average Joe might stumble across and enjoy, then he has a bunch of lesson videos (there's some on modes if you want to revisit your past ...)

Finnerty is pure entertainment with some light music theory occasionally injected to illustrate a point (beato does that too in the WMTSG series)

Finnerty rips on Weezer, Red hot Chilli peppers, Lenny Kravitz, Train, ect, all good fun..
Thanks for the explanation. I eventually figured this out after browsing YouTube a bit more.

Reactions: Micklebot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
In certain types of music, breaking down the song and figuring out what mode to play over certain chords is very common. You'd do this so that you can play/improvise a solo for the song. Jazz, Bossa, etc. would be musical genres where this is common.

In triadic music, which is the more popular type of music most people listen to, once you figure out what key the song is in, you can stick with playing a solo in that key for the entire song in the vast majority of cases. In jazz (bossa, whatever), the key can change multiple times in the song.

Here is a very simple example. Let's say one segment of the song contains the following 3 chords:

Am7 D7 Gmaj7

This is ii V I ( 2 5 1) in the key of G major. Am7 is the ii chord. D7 is V chord. Gmaj7 is the I chord.

The modes would be:
  • Dorian for the ii chord,
  • Mixolydian for the V chord
  • Ionian for the I chord.
So, breaking down the song into different approaches for a solo, you have the option of playing:

-> G major for that entire 2 5 1 segment.

-> "Playing the changes" using the different notes for the different modes - dorian over the ii chord, mixolydian over the V chord, and Ionian over the I chord.

-> Or, knowing that the key for this song is G major, you could also play the relative minor = E minor, or even E minor pentatonic.

And of course, you can mix and match over the segment as well.

The thing is that for the next group of chords, the song could change key, so you'd have to go through a similar process again to figure out what key and modes are being used so that you end up playing the correct notes in your solo.
This post deserves a "Beato!", well done.

next up, the locrian mode and the modes of the harmonic minor, but maybe not in the rookie camp thread...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad