Prospect Info: Senators Prospects Watch 2017/2018

Which 2017 prospect will break out this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
And?

I don’t know it looks like I am getting old. « In my time », adversity is what used to make real men. If Hogberg can’t come back stronger next year after that kind of season, then maybe he isn’t made for a NHL career, like O’Connor wasn’t and he will be back to Sweden eventually.
What nonsense. We should be doing everything to give our players and prospects the best we can to help them better themselves.

Most of the best players in the league like McDavid and Crosby have been absolutely coddled their entire lives and careers and given everything. That's the case with pretty much every player in the league too, that's why so many new players are former player's sons now.

Brampton is artificial adversity because our owner is too cheap to have a proper farm system. We need a proper ECHL affiliate to send players to. This is a big reason Belleville is such a disaster. Our prospects deserve better.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
And?

I don’t know it looks like I am getting old. « In my time », adversity is what used to make real men. If Hogberg can’t come back stronger next year after that kind of season, then maybe he isn’t made for a NHL career, like O’Connor wasn’t and he will be back to Sweden eventually.

That article is a very long read, but a good one.

It doesn't feel like Brampton is much of a learning/developing environment. Not to mention, I don't think sitting in a bus where the fuel fumes are visible inside the bus and traveling like that for several hours at a time is good for the players, either. You're talking lung damage over time with something like that.

There are different types of adversity....Brampton has a lot of the wrong kinds.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Reality is we have no idea what Formenton will be because he is just 18, he hasn’t finished developing, not close. We can see he won’t be a Mackinon but I could see a Burrows type career actually

Why? He has terrible stats

There’s some hope with him but it’s going to take a bit more time

Also, for those who are saying Brampton is a place to suffer, I would say good then. Do you want to sugar coat all prospects and give them everything on a silver platter? The true warriors in life rise from adversity. I don’t want hockey players that can’t do that near my hockey team. Today’s society is so soft it’s crazy

When we were young we used to have to walk 10 miles to school up hill both ways with nothing more than cardboard for boots in sub zero weather and when we got home we were lucky to get a wet rag to suck on

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What nonsense. We should be doing everything to give our players and prospects the best we can to help them better themselves.

Most of the best players in the league like McDavid and Crosby have been absolutely coddled their entire lives and careers and given everything. That's the case with pretty much every player in the league too, that's why so many new players are former player's sons now.

Brampton is artificial adversity because our owner is too cheap to have a proper farm system. We need a proper ECHL affiliate to send players to. This is a big reason Belleville is such a disaster. Our prospects deserve better.

This is nonsense, where is the proof they are not getting all the help they need to develop properly? IMO most people here just look at the record of the team & decide that it's a terrible environment because the team is having a losing season & the prospects are not being developed properly because of it. There is something to be said from learning from adversity & comparing McDavid & Crosby is well silly given they have been the two of the best players in the world. The best players have always gotten preferential treatment even on the ice by the refs.

For some reason, people think only first place teams are where prospects develop the best when it could be that a first place team may have paid the big bucks to have better AHL/NHL veterans playing for their teams & are the ones responsible for the team winning. Ottawa just doesn't have the deep pockets to do this & this owner continues to cry poor. The AHL & ECHL are development leagues where players learn all of the nuances of playing hockey the right way so that by the time they are called up to the NHL they are prepared & ready.

Bingo didn't seem to hurt the development of Stone, Hoffman, Pageau, Smith, Spezza, Vermette & countless more. Maybe just maybe, some of these prospects just aren't good enough? Most on here thought Petersson was a legit NHL player, it didn't turn out that way & the same for numerous other players fans had high hopes for. Look at the fuss people made about Prince, was it because of the AHL that he's not a superstar? These players get treated very well from what I have seen at all levels in this organization & this organization has been praised by numerous players for how well they have been treated here. This is not in defence of the owner, I can't stand the guy but where is the proof they are treated badly? What exactly would a better affiliate look like? What needs to be better? Sometimes stuff happens in every organization & things have to be done usually in a temporarily situation until it is fixed in all walks of life & business.

At the moment they have too many goalies, it was a mistake & sadly Hogberg being the rookie gets sent down, shit happens. The situation will likely be straighten out for next yr & he will likely be in Belleville full time. Lots of other guys have been sent to the ECHL including Gagne last yr & this yr is playing better. It didn't seem to hurt his development either. It's most likely they will have three goalies in Belleville next yr & one of them could eventually be sent to the ECHL again, likely the rookie. That's just the way it goes in the minor leagues, it's not that big a deal & should be expected. Players have to prove they belong & have to prove they deserve more ice time or move up in the lineup. C'est la vie IMO. Not everything is management's fault or there to be blamed, sometimes it's just the system that everyone works under & at the moment until it's eventually changed.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

What is non-sense? That adversity helps to make real men? Because that's basically all I was saying

I didn't read the article because honestly I don't give a crap about Brampton. Even if this is really hell on earth, then I don't mind if a prospect is momentarily there and I am hoping he grows out of it.

So, again, what is nonsense?

And why are we comparing elite talents like Crosby and McDavid to Hogberg here? Marcus is a goalie and mental strength is one of the most important things for a goalie.

It doesn't feel like Brampton is much of a learning/developing environment. Not to mention, I don't think sitting in a bus where the fuel fumes are visible inside the bus and traveling like that for several hours at a time is good for the players, either. You're talking lung damage over time with something like that.

There are different types of adversity....Brampton has a lot of the wrong kinds.

Of course if it is not healthy, that's different. But I haven't read the article and won't so I'm relying on you

Most on here thought Petersson was a legit NHL player, it didn't turn out that way & the same for numerous other players fans had high hopes for. Look at the fuss people made about Prince, was it because of the AHL that he's not a superstar? These players get treated very well from what I have seen at all levels in this organization & this organization has been praised by numerous players for how well they have been treated here. This is not in defence of the owner, I can't stand the guy but where is the proof they are treated badly? What exactly would a better affiliate look like? What needs to be better? Sometimes stuff happens in every organization & things have to be done usually in a temporarily situation until it is fixed in all walks of life & business.

Petersson might be a great example here. All the talent in the world to be a top-6 forward, but what about his desire? His dedication? His mental strength? Maybe he spent too much time playing video games because he was bored in Binghamton instead of giving an extra effort to make it to the NHL. Maybe his mindset just wasn't at the right place. It gave the opportunity to someone else actually make it (maybe Hoffman?). If some others go through the same adversity and make it, then it's on you for not making it.

Reactions: aragorn

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Of course if it is not healthy, that's different. But I haven't read the article and won't so I'm relying on you

Dude...read the article. It's really a great read. It really shows the love that many of the players and staff have for the game, their community, and just how different the ECHL is. Don't look at it as a sports article, but a human interest one.

Reactions: Xspyrit

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The ECHL & the AHL have been around for decades & players have been for the most part "riding the buses". Maybe in 25 yrs or so there will be electric buses in every city in NA & they won't have to put up with the pollution but until then you have to do what you have to do, as millions do every day throughout NA. As well people all over the world struggle with hard labour & low paying jobs & terrible work conditions. Life isn't fair.

The fact that these guys are playing a game they love for low wages in the minors is the price you pay to get to the higher paying NHL jobs for some. But there are only about 1,000 of those jobs available & you have to compete with players from around the globe & prove you deserve the job & then to keep the job. They are never safe & could be traded at any time & have to move their families to earn a living somewhere else. It's a tough life when you are a bubble player & there could be better players available. You better be mentally tough to put up with the harshness of professional sports & hope you get a break, some never do. The upper echelon, the elites get coddled because their talent is special but only a very very few are considered elite. Erik Karlsson is elite, is Mark Stone or Hoffman?

There are a few elite players per team, maybe & then there is everybody else who come & go, here today gone tomorrow & some have very sad stories to tell or their 15 minutes of fame. Some organizations are better than others, some owners & management are better than others, c'est la vie. It's the life they choose to follow their dreams & one day play in the NHL which may or may never happen. It's not always a fun journey for some or a happy ending, it just is what it is & the system they have for the time being, until it is changed. You either live with it, try to change it or you move on.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Reality is we have no idea what Formenton will be because he is just 18, he hasn’t finished developing, not close. We can see he won’t be a Mackinon but I could see a Burrows type career actually

Why? He has terrible stats

There’s some hope with him but it’s going to take a bit more time

Also, for those who are saying Brampton is a place to suffer, I would say good then. Do you want to sugar coat all prospects and give them everything on a silver platter? The true warriors in life rise from adversity. I don’t want hockey players that can’t do that near my hockey team. Today’s society is so soft it’s crazy

You must be a fan of the movie "To hell and back" . . .
To Hell and Back (1955) - IMDb

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Will Formenton get any games in Belleville if London gets swept??

London may be out of the playoffs Thursday night, B-Sens play their next game on Friday. What happens here usually?? Does the CHL player normally get sent to the AHL affiliate by the org, or will Formenton just be done when his junior team is done?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Will Formenton get any games in Belleville if London gets swept??

London may be out of the playoffs Thursday night, B-Sens play their next game on Friday. What happens here usually?? Does the CHL player normally get sent to the AHL affiliate by the org, or will Formenton just be done when his junior team is done?

Doesn't he need to be 20 in order to be at the AHL?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Not when his season is over.

Just curious as it seems like the B-Sens have signed some more plugs to ATOs just to finish up the season. I hope the organization is considering letting prospects from eliminated CHL teams join the fray for a few games, however, I don't have much faith in management here. If Formenton is allowed to play in the AHL and the organization doesn't use their opportunity to get him some pro games, the would be a huge fail.

Heck, why not even get him up with the big club for a few games.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
I've read the article on the Athletic which only covers one road trip out of the whole season. I also have friends that play in the ECHL and don't seem to complain all too much. Obviously you lose a lot of sleep with long road trips, it is just part of playing in the minors.

All of the guys get money for food and a place to stay. Obviously some guys are just getting by financially with families to take care of so you eventually need to assess how long you want to be there.

Not a lot of the problems that career ECHL players face really apply to our prospects as these are mostly young guys without families who have NHL contracts and money in the bank. If Hogberg and guys like Dunn and Donaghey don't want to be there then they need to make the most of their opportunities in the AHL like Gagne did this year. If they don't there are lots of leagues in Europe they can go and make a living.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

It's one point of view.

It is a data point. Drawing far-reaching conclusions based on one person's account isn't wise.

The constant name-dropping of the publication bothers me more than the thought that our ECHL affiliate is poorly run. For example, FQL now thinks the ECHL matters because he read about it. Prior to that it was "garbage tier league" and a few posters had fun with his absolutely over-the-top hatred for a hockey league.

Reactions: aragorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad