Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk Offseason 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Randy Lee confirmed that Gagne is going back for another year.

http://the6thsens.com/2016-articles...camp-chabot-comments-gagnes-improvements.html

“No, (we will not turn pro). Yeah, absolutely. He’s going to do the (Francis) Perron thing. He’s going to go back and prove it to us. We talked to him just two minutes ago. ‘You’re going to be the hardest worker on your team. You’re going to be the hardest and most competitive guy in games. Anything we want you to address, you’re going to work on.’ He said, ‘This is great!’ It looks like we’re talking to a new person. It’s really nice to see, but we’re not going to go ahead and sign him. We’re going to wait and we’re going to make sure he earns it. We did it to (Francis) Perron and he sweated it out. We’re not trying to make them sweat, but we want to make sure. But, this kid has got lots of talent. He’s one guywho impressed Guy Boucher quite a bit.â€

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Ya I thought they settled it or stated it was going to happen right after development camp?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Looks like I may have been wrong and they want Gagne in the Q as a 20. Strange to me, but it may help him out.

The thing is that he's never really stood out in junior, so it makes little to no sense to move him up a level when he still has a lot to learn where he is.

He kind of reminds me of Corey Perry in some ways, lots of tools but lots of question marks, and he also went back to junior for an overage season if I'm not mistaken.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The thing is that he's never really stood out in junior, so it makes little to no sense to move him up a level when he still has a lot to learn where he is.

He kind of reminds me of Corey Perry in some ways, lots of tools but lots of question marks, and he also went back to junior for an overage season if I'm not mistaken.

Not all that surprising considering the amount of time he missed last year. Hope he does well.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Not all that surprising considering the amount of time he missed last year. Hope he does well.

That may be true, but all I hear is one excuse after another as to why he can't dominate like he should be doing (for where he was picked).

Sooner or later he's going to have to impress. Hopefully next year is the year...

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
It's quite rare for a high draft pick to play an overage season. It's generally not a good sign.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Gagne has to go a full season of dominance in junior. no sense Lazaring him.

Francis Perron wasn't eligible to play in the AHL last season, so I don't get why Lee is comparing their situations.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
That may be true, but all I hear is one excuse after another as to why he can't dominate like he should be doing (for where he was picked).

Sooner or later he's going to have to impress. Hopefully next year is the year...

I thought he did impress after recovering from injury last year. As far as excuses go, injury is a pretty good one.

But yeah, this is his year. If he's healthy and still look like a star in his overage season, then yeah that'll be very disappointing.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I don't think its a terrible thing for Gagne. The more he's able to use his size to dominate (even against lesser comp) the more confidence he gets and the more likely he will be able to transition it into the pro's.

At this point with all the time he's missed, he likely isn't the player they want him to be and will risk the 'over age curse' to hopefully get him where they want him to be.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

He played well in the playoffs and hes consistently looked like one of the better players in camps. He needs to find that consistency for a whole season

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I have no problem with this. I don't care if it isn't a good sign, it is the right move for a guy who has had Gagne's injury history.

Maybe more guys should.

Plenty of times we see high draft picks struggle in the NHL and question demotions and their development later on. Go look at the Lazar thread.

Meanwhile guy without the pressure develop themselves against weaker competition and come out well for it. Stone did it. Perron is doing it.

Alfredsson spent how long in the SEL before he was even drafted?

Not everyone is going to develop at the same rate and in the same manner.

Maybe Gagne will end up no better than Roman Wick, but I will never question a developmental decision that ensures a player gets lots of ice-time. Quality of competition is good, but you need to be playing to develop, IMO.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Lazar wasn't in the W for his 19 year old season, let alone his 20 year old season.

Lazar played his draft +1 in the dub. His team made a deep memorial cup run and was 19 for the majority of the season

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Do people think Robinson will ever be an NHL regular? He's 24, and likely not getting a spot this year. I'm tempering my expectations.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
He played well in the playoffs and hes consistently looked like one of the better players in camps. He needs to find that consistency for a whole season

He played well in the playoffs, but 3 or 4 of his teammates played just as well or better than he did...at no point has he looked like anything beyond a HUGE long shot to be a top 6 forward, let alone an NHL player. Dahlen already does just based on his draft year alone.

Again he's looked good at times, and definitely has some intriguing upside, but obviously the Senators share the opinion that he isn't worthy of a pro contract as of yet, which is disappointing for a 36th overall pick (who we traded up for in a deep draft).

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Playing a second year of junior after being drafted is common place. There's no need to get hung up on a stupid late birthday and deem a guy a bust because of it. Playing in the Q gets Gagne the most ice time in the most competitive ring for 2016-17 for himself. This has been my own vision for him for awhile and I'm surprised anyone is opposed to it. He's always been a guy boom/bust player and taking your time with him is the best scenario imo. It's not like we need him in Bingo this year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lazar played his draft +1 in the dub. His team made a deep memorial cup run and was 19 for the majority of the season

Which would make it his 18 year old season as he didn't turn 19 until after Dec 31st... so basically exactly what Bondratime said.

Gagne played his draft +1, +2 and now his +3 in the Q. The point being made was that his path to pro hockey is nothing like Lazar's; going pro this year (and like playing in the AHL or possibly even the ECHL) would in no way be"lazaring" him.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Gagne played his draft +1, +2 and now his +3 in the Q. The point being made was that his path to pro hockey is nothing like Lazar's; going pro this year (and like playing in the AHL or possibly even the ECHL) would in no way be"lazaring" him.

Gagne was in the same draft as Chabot ('15) This coming season is his draft + 2

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Gagne was in the same draft as Chabot ('15) This coming season is his draft + 2

My bad, the point about 19 year old season and being nothing at all like the path Lazar took still holds true. Gagne will play the entire season as a 20 year old, and would be eligible to play in the AHL (his likely landing spot, if not the ECHL). The issue with Lazar was him playing in the NHL too soon, not insufficient time in the W, and that's only if you believe that time at lower levels would have actually helped his offense translate better. Personally, I'm not sure it would have made much of a difference.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
as long as Gagne is getting some good icetime, it really shouldn't matter where he is playing. Kid needs those minutes more than anything else.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Considering the time Gagne missed due to injury last season, I'm totally fine leaving him in the Q for another year.

Let him get a taste of the confidence that dominating a league can bring, and then bring those positive vibes to the main camp next year fighting for a top-6 spot in Bingo.

We all knew Gagne was a long-term project when we drafted him. I see no reason to change that view now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad