Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk Offseason 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We are a top development team in the league, and have been for a long time.

I think it was a measured response to keep the kid hungry and humble, and was absolutely necessary given that he's our best prospect, and fans want to know.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Praise publicly. Coach privately.

There was a post by a Flyers fan in the prospects section (apparently an overzealous mod took it down...why, I don't know, had some great stuff). He talked about Hextalls view of development camp, where they refused to put any kind of evaluation on players in that session. Just paraphrasing here, but he said the focus was to allow the players to feel comfortable going to management saying "I feel X is a weak point" or "I need work on this" and they would give him specific tips and training to use in the summer to help weed out the weaknesses. It's all about positive environment and working together to give the kids that extra bit of help and guidance for summer training.

It really sounded like a much better environment for the kids than what we're seeing here. All about building guys up.

Meh. This is pro hockey. I'd rather not see everyone at the camp get a award for participating. This world has become so soft that it's sickening.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

There was a post by a Flyers fan in the prospects section (apparently an overzealous mod took it down...why, I don't know, had some great stuff). He talked about Hextalls view of development camp, where they refused to put any kind of evaluation on players in that session. Just paraphrasing here, but he said the focus was to allow the players to feel comfortable going to management saying "I feel X is a weak point" or "I need work on this" and they would give him specific tips and training to use in the summer to help weed out the weaknesses. It's all about positive environment and working together to give the kids that extra bit of help and guidance for summer training.

It really sounded like a much better environment for the kids than what we're seeing here. All about building guys up.

Sometimes you have to tear something down before you can built something up.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Meh. This is pro hockey. I'd rather not see everyone at the camp get a award for participating. This world has become so soft that it's sickening.

It's just a development camp. It's not even rookie camp yet. Besides, who wants to work in a volatile workplace?

What Lee said wasn't the end of the world, but floating anything negative in the media like this really doesn't sure any kind of constructive purpose. If they feel Chabot was disappointing, tell him privately, and point in him the proper direction. Now the kid has to use some of his energy and focus answering/avoiding pesky questions from the press and random people he sees all summer.

Sometimes you have to tear something down before you can built something up.

Just make sure you're not tearing down a solid structure for the hell of it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't think it is anywhere near as bad as some seem to be suggesting. I think Chabot got the message that you can't take anything for granted. There is always someone else ready to take your spot so you better give it 100% every chance you get. He's young & made a mistake, he will learn from this & be a better player for it. It's not that big a deal really, like being chastised in school for missing an assignment. I bet he comes back & has a really good rookie tournament.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I don't think it is anywhere near as bad as some seem to be suggesting. I think Chabot got the message that you can't take anything for granted. There is always someone else ready to take your spot so you better give it 100% every chance you get. He's young & made a mistake, he will learn from this & be a better player for it. It's not that big a deal really, like being chastised in school for missing an assignment. I bet he comes back & has a really good rookie tournament.

Regarding Chabot, seriously, there is no problem.

But, sometime the Sens management tend to talk a little bit to much. They say thing a way that when do media hear that. They see scandal and are fast to exaggerated. Same thing with other stupid fan base.

There is a thread in the trading board about player who didn't had a good camp. Guess who's name is there, Chabot. The thing is, it's far from the truth. Chabot had a very good camp. But it's like Karlsson, very good isn't good enough. Your expectation are very high. And if Chabot wasn't at his best, you want more.

Basically, the message is fine, but it made story who should not even be some.

I just think it is getting out of proportion, for things who should have been kept in the team and if media ask you what you think about Chabot's camp you say : Very good, but we think Chabot is that talented that he can give us more, and work a little harder. And we were clear with him that he can bring more to the table and we expected him to come even better.

That's a way to send your message that reflect the reality, IMO.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
It's just a development camp. It's not even rookie camp yet. Besides, who wants to work in a volatile workplace?

LOL again this is pro hockey, its a volatile workplace, that's a reality.

They are going to get screamed at sometimes. They are going to be over worked to the point of physical exhaustion. They are going to get kicked to the curb if someone else comes along and proves that they can do it better, with little to no remorse. And they are never going to have an HR department that they can go to and whine about it not being fair.

Its a pretty harsh environment that's not for everyone. But for those who can hack it, its a pretty damn lucrative way to make a living, and there will never be any shortage of players lining up to work in this "volatile workplace".

What Lee did was not counterproductive to Chabot's development imo. If a guy mentally folds like a wet blanket after hearing those comments, then we have a much bigger problem on our hands.

Rookie dev camp is a perfect place to give kids a taste of the pros so that they are better prepared when the real training camp opens up. The expectations are sky high for Chabot, and in no way shape or form should he be coddled at this point imo. If he wants to make the team, he needs to play like it.

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Chabot should have absolutely dominated. They see a star in him and want him to know that being timid is an easy way to fall short of being great.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

I agree. But sometimes I wonder if the world truly has gone soft, should we not adapt to the softness of it ?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

But, sometime the Sens management tend to talk a little bit to much. They say thing a way that when do media hear that. They see scandal and are fast to exaggerated. Same thing with other stupid fan base.

There is a thread in the trading board about player who didn't had a good camp. Guess who's name is there, Chabot. The thing is, it's far from the truth. Chabot had a very good camp. But it's like Karlsson, very good isn't good enough. Your expectation are very high. And if Chabot wasn't at his best, you want more.

I just think it is getting out of proportion, for things who should have been kept in the team and if media ask you what you think about Chabot's camp you say : Very good, but we think Chabot is that talented that he can give us more, and work a little harder. And we were clear with him that he can bring more to the table and we expected him to come even better.

That's a way to send your message that reflect the reality, IMO.

Agreed, it could also be a message to the other less talented players that they too need to work harder, picking on one of the best prospects clearly sends a message to others that if they pick on him then they will need to work that much harder & be that much better. It sends a message to everybody to be better, to work harder, to not take anything for granted. Glen Sather was harder on Gretsky than any other player to make sure everyone else knew that if the best player in the world is getting yelled at then they need to be much better, it's an old & typical hockey ploy.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

What Lee said wasn't the end of the world, but floating anything negative in the media like this really doesn't sure any kind of constructive purpose. If they feel Chabot was disappointing, tell him privately, and point in him the proper direction. Now the kid has to use some of his energy and focus answering/avoiding pesky questions from the press and random people he sees all summer.

Don't you think it's part of preparing the young man for a pro hockey career? Because when it starts, he will have to answer and handle the pressure that comes from medias... Like I said, it's all part of a process. If he is too soft and can't handle it, then revert to crying into fetal position, I don't want to lose more time with him. Move on to the next guy.

Then blame the stupid medias. Personally, I think medias are *censored**censored*ape*censored**censored*wipe my*censored*

They are going to get screamed at sometimes. They are going to be over worked to the point of physical exhaustion. They are going to get kicked to the curb if someone else comes along and proves that they can do it better, with little to no remorse. And they are never going to have an HR department that they can go to and whine about it not being fair.

Its a pretty harsh environment that's not for everyone. But for those who can hack it, its a pretty damn lucrative way to make a living, and there will never be any shortage of players lining up to work in this "volatile workplace".

What Lee did was not counterproductive to Chabot's development imo. If a guy mentally folds like a wet blanket after hearing those comments, then we have a much bigger problem on our hands.

Rookie dev camp is a perfect place to give kids a taste of the pros so that they are better prepared when the real training camp opens up. The expectations are sky high for Chabot, and in no way shape or form should he be coddled at this point imo. If he wants to make the team, he needs to play like it.

"Then you will know the reality, and the reality will set you free.”

Thanks for this brilliant post.

If I knew about hockey younger (came to Canada at 11 and didn't even know about the sport) and knew it was going to be my passion, you can be sure I would have been dedicated to make it as a pro, lol I started playing goalie at 21 years old. Not sure I would have made it as goalies are so told nowadays and I am 5'11

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I agree. But sometimes I wonder if the world truly has gone soft, should we not adapt to the softness of it ?

Progress isn't necessarily just 'softness'. Not allowing players to play concussions anymore is good progress and may be getting softer.

Not teaching young people to be able to take constructive criticism is bad progress or a regression in our society and perhaps categorically 'soft'. It is pretty bonkers how defensive people can get if you point out something they aren't doing properly these days. Here's a pretty good example (not in how Chabot is reacting but the media and fans).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

There's a time and place for everything.

If you want to take the guy into the coaches office and scream at him for a few hours, go ahead. If you want to make him stand up in the dressing room and point him out 'in the room,' go ahead.

Keep it out of the media. This isn't Montreal....we don't need to know what kind of underwear all the kids are wearing.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Sounds like Flyers dev camp is more of a "safe space", and less of a "hockey development camp".

latest

BRayne

May 5, 2011
ASU guy here, How did Daccord do in prospect camp this year? I didn't see much about him in the actual thread.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
ASU guy here, How did Daccord do in prospect camp this year? I didn't see much about him in the actual thread.

Unfortunately, I only saw the scrimmage. In that scrimmage 2 goalies looked very good and 2 looked very poor. Hogberg and Daccord were very good.

But that's just the scrimmage so hardly enough to make an opinion.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Unfortunately, I only saw the scrimmage. In that scrimmage 2 goalies looked very good and 2 looked very poor. Hogberg and Daccord were very good.

But that's just the scrimmage so hardly enough to make an opinion.

Not very good news for Bingo, though.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I just want to re-iterate how much of a diamond in the rough I think Daccord might end up being for us.

I absolutely love his game. Fundamentals are all there, good size, high end reflexes... I really, really hope he doesn't get shell shocked at ASU, because barring a complete mental collapse (and let's be honest here, even if things go right next year, ASU is not even going to be a .500 team, so Daccord should see a ton of rubber even if he's a backup as a freshman), I really like this kid's chances of someday being an NHLer.

I said this last year, and I'll say it again now - taking a High School goalie is risky as ****, but I really think we found ourselves a real legit prospect with a lot of upside with a 7th rounder here. The real bonus to all of this is that we get 4 more free years to watch Daccord develop without giving him a contract or losing his rights, which for a developmental goalie is huge.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Buffalo dev camp videos look more intense and overall impressive than what I saw here.
They have a handful of guys that look better than our best guys. They continue to bring in hard, quick, powerful players.
That's the competition. Chabot got off easy.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

If you want to take the guy into the coaches office and scream at him for a few hours, go ahead. If you want to make him stand up in the dressing room and point him out 'in the room,' go ahead.

Keep it out of the media. This isn't Montreal....we don't need to know what kind of underwear all the kids are wearing.

It's easier said than done, trying to keep anything away from the media especially in todays world when everyone has a cell phone. But I will also say this that this yr's camp has been a little different than previous camps as they have openly chastised players, made them do a lap, bag skate them & called them out. There wasn't a lot of it, just a few times that I can remember & it was subtle when that happened when I was there but I don't recall it ever happening before. It may be a sign that things have gotten much more serious around this team something that may be needed to toughen them up.

He had a good camp last yr & he had a good camp this yr from what I saw of him which wasn't a lot because the four goalies invited to camp O'Connor, Hogberg, Daccord & the invite Miska were in a different rink for a number of days working on there own & not with the other players. Daccord played one period in the scrimmage & out played Miska from what I could tell.

Not very good news for Bingo, though.

Dreidger was the #1 goalie there last yr & should be the #1 goalie to start the yr at least. He has been playing better down there although we don't hear very much about him any more.

I just want to re-iterate how much of a diamond in the rough I think Daccord might end up being for us.

I absolutely love his game. Fundamentals are all there, good size, high end reflexes... I really, really hope he doesn't get shell shocked at ASU, because barring a complete mental collapse (and let's be honest here, even if things go right next year, ASU is not even going to be a .500 team, so Daccord should see a ton of rubber even if he's a backup as a freshman), I really like this kid's chances of someday being an NHLer.

I said this last year, and I'll say it again now - taking a High School goalie is risky as ****, but I really think we found ourselves a real legit prospect with a lot of upside with a 7th rounder here. The real bonus to all of this is that we get 4 more free years to watch Daccord develop without giving him a contract or losing his rights, which for a developmental goalie is huge.

He looked really good at last yr's development camp but I didn't seen much of him at this one, he looks good but I have no idea what his future will be. He's looked better than O'Connor though who had a tough scrimmage.

Buffalo dev camp videos look more intense and overall impressive than what I saw here.
They have a handful of guys that look better than our best guys. They continue to bring in hard, quick, powerful players.
That's the competition. Chabot got off easy.

I have been saying this for yrs that Ottawa has a soft team & drafts soft players but most want small fast skilled players. Look how many wanted Keller this yr. Even Brown is a big guy but like Spezza seems to be soft as well. I think Chabot is smart enough to learn from this experience & will use it to motivate himself to be better but he also needs to continue to get stronger.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

But if rookie development camp is not the right place to be telling the kids what they need to work on, then when and where exactly is the right time and place to break the news to them that they aren't meeting the expectations?

Nobody singled out Chabot and told him that he was a bad player, or screamed at him (that we know of), I think that's what we need to wrap our heads around first. Lee was directly asked about Chabot and his performance in this years camp, and Lee gave an honest answer.

I prefer that to the alternative, which is giving some sugar coated answer about how they aren't evaluating their players there (lol @ Philly and Toronto). Whatever floats your boat I guess, but I would prefer the sens rookie dev camp to be competitive, and not like some laissez faire summer hockey skills camp or power skating class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad