Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk: It's now the 2015-16 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I usually don't get overly excited about large offensive improvements in CHLers in their overage years, especially for guys who previously didn't show much offensive game over the rest of their major-junior careers.

Harpur was a man playing against kids 4 years his junior on some nights. I would expect more offence simply based on the fact that he should be over-powering a lot of kids in a way that he couldn't have in his draft year.

I still really like Harpur, don't get me wrong. I just don't see this year's slight offensive upswing to be anything more than an age-related anomaly.

Harpur was only 19, he wasn't an overager. The youngest guys were 3 years younger than him.

(I know, I'm a stickler)

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
His overage year is still this coming season.

God damnit, I keep forgetting that the OHL sets the overage eligibility date on Dec 31st. Harpur missed the overage cutoff date by 12 days.

The jist of my point still stands because he's so close to that cutoff date, IMO, but yeah, ok. He still has an overage year of eligibility left.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
God damnit, I keep forgetting that the OHL sets the overage eligibility date on Dec 31st. Harpur missed the overage cutoff date by 12 days.

The jist of my point still stands because he's so close to that cutoff date, IMO, but yeah, ok. He still has an overage year of eligibility left.

I understand. As I said, I'm a stickler :laugh:

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Not disagreeing with any of this.

I'm just saying I've been watching hockey for long enough to know that a sudden spike in offensive numbers in Major-Junior from a 19-year-old season to a 20-year-old one are pretty common regardless of actual skill level, and the anomalous spikes in production ...

Can something that occurs commonly actually be an anomaly?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
ok i thought about it. I think it would be beneficial for everyone if lazar went down to bingo to start.
Not saying he's not committed enough, but that would really put a fire under his ass to improve his offensive game even more than he was otherwise prepared to do.

Could get used to playing with Paul-and-Lindberg too. Or Prince/Puempel. Would be the best possible leader for those guys in bingo I would think so would benefit the future. Bring him back up 3/4s through the season if he really takes off. Would give ottawa time to make more room for him too.

I don't see how it would be a longterm negative for him, but could really see it as a positive. It's only a few months after all.

BigBush*

ok i thought about it. I think it would be beneficial for everyone if lazar went down to bingo to start.
Not saying he's not committed enough, but that would really put a fire under his ass to improve his offensive game even more than he was otherwise prepared to do.

Could get used to playing with Paul-and-Lindberg too. Or Prince/Puempel. Would be the best possible leader for those guys in bingo I would think so would benefit the future. Bring him back up 3/4s through the season if he really takes off. Would give ottawa time to make more room for him too.

I don't see how it would be a longterm negative for him, but could really see it as a positive. It's only a few months after all.

For athletes, I'm sure nothing would be more motivating then having your bi-weekly paychecks cut from 30,000 to 2000. It would light a fire under his ass

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
For athletes, I'm sure nothing would be more motivating then having your bi-weekly paychecks cut from 30,000 to 2000. It would light a fire under his ass

well.... isnt the fact that the 30,000 pay check is right in front of you if you play up to the ability you believe you can be motivating. Unless you are not be scarcastic lol

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO it will all depend on how many players get traded between now & the start of the yr as to whether Lazar is sent to Bingo or not. My guess is that Condra will not be re-signed & that Lehner & possibly one other player could get traded. I doubt Legwand, Phillips & Neil get traded before the trade deadline which basically leaves no room for Lazar in Ottawa. Greening could also be sent to Bingo if he is not bought out.

The roster size is for only 23 healthy bodies & there are 26 players below, 3 have to come off the roster, if they are all healthy to start the season. Potentially someone like Phillips could start next season on the injured list & not count towards the roster limit if he is still hurt. The guys in Italic are the ones that IMO are the most likely to be affected by any roster changes.

1. Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
2. Michalek - Turris - Stone
3. MacArthur - Pageau - Chiasson
4. Z. Smith - Legwand - Neil
5. Greening - Lazar - Condra

1. Methot - Karlsson
2. Wiercioch - Ceci
3. Boroweicki - Gryba
4. Cowen - Phillips

1. Anderson
2. Hammond
3. Lehner

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
IMO it will all depend on how many players get traded between now & the start of the yr as to whether Lazar is sent to Bingo or not. My guess is that Condra will not be re-signed & that Lehner & possibly one other player could get traded. I doubt Legwand, Phillips & Neil get traded before the trade deadline which basically leaves no room for Lazar in Ottawa. Greening could also be sent to Bingo if he is not bought out.

The roster size is for only 23 healthy bodies & there are 26 players below, 3 have to come off the roster, if they are all healthy to start the season. Potentially someone like Phillips could start next season on the injured list & not count towards the roster limit if he is still hurt. The guys in Italic are the ones that IMO are the most likely to be affected by any roster changes.

1. Methot - Karlsson
2. Wiercioch - Ceci
3. Boroweicki - Gryba
4. Cowen - Phillips

1. Anderson
2. Hammond
3. Lehner

Lehner+someone else(greening/legwand)
Lazar ahl
condra not back
Greening ahl/bought out

=Prince NHL

BigBush*

well.... isnt the fact that the 30,000 pay check is right in front of you if you play up to the ability you believe you can be motivating. Unless you are not be scarcastic lol

Ya I wasn't being sarcastic. Just insane how big a difference the jump in pay is. I'd be busting my ass so hard

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

1. Methot - Karlsson
2. Wiercioch - Ceci
3. Boroweicki - Gryba
4. Cowen - Phillips

1. Anderson
2. Hammond
3. Lehner

Greening gets bought out. You can't have him blocking anyone, let alone someone like Puempel.

Condra will cash in elsewhere. 1.75 X 3 for someone who needs that kind of player (like us!).

Cowen gets traded, perhaps with Lehner, perhaps on his own.

Legwand gets traded, perhaps with Lehner, perhaps on his own.

2. MacArthur - Turris - Stone
3. Michalek - Pageau - Lazar
4. Puempel - Smith - Neil
5. Chiasson (extra)

1. Methot - Karlsson
2. Wiercioch - Ceci
3. Boroweicki - UPGRADE
4. Gryba (extra)
5. Phillips (pressbox/assistant coach)

1. Anderson
2. Hammond

Really, there are only 1 issue I can think of and that's that there's no room for Prince and there's no room for another top 9 player unless they trade Smith or Neil and move Lazar into the 4th line spot.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
^that lineup is not good.

Why not? The only issue I might have is Lazar not finding his offence in the NHL, otherwise that's about as solid and young as you can get. Similar to last year, but without the dead weight of Legwand and unfortunately without Condra.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Why not? The only issue I might have is Lazar not finding his offence in the NHL, otherwise that's about as solid and young as you can get. Similar to last year, but without the dead weight of Legwand and unfortunately without Condra.

it's not better than last year and last year we were not a good playoff team. so....not good.
3 forwards i don't want to see as regulars anymore (smith, neil, michalek), 2nd pair d is not solid enough unless ceci makes big strides and the 2 play much better than last year.
And then my opinion that ryan needs to be with turris and mac and stone should be with hoff and zib(but that is more of a minor thing. well not in my mind actually. it's pretty necessary)

I'm thinking in terms of playoff potential because that's all that matters to me at this point (rebuild pretty much done and organization sounds like they want playoff wins next year)

Mac-Turris-Ryan
Hoff-Zib-Stone
Puempel-Pageau-Condra
Prince-Lazar-Chiasson(expect chia to be better)

might be ok, but probably need a quality vet in there somewhere(not legwand/neil/michalek/smith).

Methot-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Solid Vet through trade?
Boro-Ceci
Gryba

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
it's not better than last year and last year we were not a good playoff team. so....not good.
3 forwards i don't want to see as regulars anymore (smith, neil, michalek), 2nd pair d is not solid enough unless ceci makes big strides and the 2 play much better than last year.
And then my opinion that ryan needs to be with turris and mac and stone should be with hoff and zib(but that is more of a minor thing. well not in my mind actually. it's pretty necessary)

I'm thinking in terms of playoff potential because that's all that matters to me at this point (rebuild pretty much done and organization sounds like they want playoff wins next year)

Mac-Turris-Ryan
Hoff-Zib-Stone
Puempel-Pageau-Condra
Prince-Lazar-Chiasson(expect chia to be better)

might be ok, but probably need a quality vet in there somewhere(not legwand/neil/michalek/smith).

Methot-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Solid Vet through trade?
Boro-Ceci
Gryba

Condra is out of our hands. He's a pending UFA and teams will line up for him. Neil is a guy I'd keep as a 4th liner or an extra player. We didn't get to see Smith under Cameron almost at all. I'm not a huge fan of his either, but if he can play the hard style game he could still be useful.

Getting rid of Michalek is a mistake IMO. For a while he was a huge part of the Turris/Stone line and he's a good guy to have around the locker room. Plus, he plays left and right sides and that's something that could come in handy.

The D pairings, I put an upgrade on the 3rd pairing, but obviously that means that Ceci can shift down.

The interesting move could be putting Lazar on the 4th line as a C and trading Smith, thus opening the right wing for Michalek and putting Puempel on the left side with Pageau.

I think we also have to strongly consider that guys like Zibanejad have grown and will be more effective. He likely won't come out of the gate with 6 points in his first 25 games or whatever travesty he started with last year.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Condra is out of our hands. He's a pending UFA and teams will line up for him. Neil is a guy....

Do you really think this? What do you think that translates to in terms of his salary next year?

We're talking about a guy who had 23 points, and a career high of 25. I can imagine a couple of teams being interested after the dust settles on the other UFAs, but I sure don't expect him to hit the jackpot.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Do you really think this? What do you think that translates to in terms of his salary next year?

We're talking about a guy who had 23 points, and a career high of 25. I can imagine a couple of teams being interested after the dust settles on the other UFAs, but I sure don't expect him to hit the jackpot.

Depends on how good teams pro scouts are, I guess. I thought Condra was fantastic when Cameron took over and I'm sure teams noticed this, especially the ones who had a crap PK and want a guy who can player 3rd/4th line minutes and not hurt you, plus be a decent PKer.

I'd say Condra signs a 3 year, 4.5 million dollar deal or even as high as 1.75 per year (5.25). If it's anything less, then we should be re-signing him.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Depends on how good teams pro scouts are, I guess. I thought Condra was fantastic when Cameron took over and I'm sure teams noticed this, especially the ones who had a crap PK and want a guy who can player 3rd/4th line minutes and not hurt you, plus be a decent PKer.

I'd say Condra signs a 3 year, 4.5 million dollar deal or even as high as 1.75 per year (5.25). If it's anything less, then we should be re-signing him.

Okay, it'll be interesting to see what he gets.

Condra was good this year, but he's in that category of player who is hurt by the cap. Teams are often more inclined to go with some rookie at $750k on the 3rd or 4th line, and use that saved $750k - $1M to pay their top 6ers.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Condra was good this year, but he's in that category of player who is hurt by the cap. Teams are often more inclined to go with some rookie at $750k on the 3rd or 4th line, and use that saved $750k - $1M to pay their top 6ers.

I agree for the most part, but a rookie will rarely be as good as Condra is at the finer points of the game, especially PKing.

BigBush*

I expect him to sign a similar contract to what Mitchell just signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad