Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk: It's now the 2015-16 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
SensChirp @SensChirp
Matt O'Connor going with number 29. Last three guys to wear that number in Ottawa- Martin Gerber, Mike Brodeur, Nathan Lawson. #Sens

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
his contract only has an NHL out

Thanks, so he'll either make the team (doubtful) or return to Sweden and be unavailable for a call up I guess (unless that counts). No the best solution for the team, or the player if he wants to be here someday.

I guess people still "want it all" and "have it done their way".

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Can either Puempel or Prince play RW? It would be nice to have one of those guys there if Lazar starts in the minors this season.

Prince can play LW-C-RW he just mostly plays LW

Not sure he has a ton of experience in the pros at anything other then LW. I believe hes played RW for awhile in bingo

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
What's the deal with Kelly Summers?

I was reading a few articles, apparently he rose from 155 to 73 on the central scouting list the year he was drafted. I'm mainly curious because Ottawa traded up for him and in the process gave up what would theoretically be a more valuable pick to do so. (Although, not sure there's a big difference between 6s and 7s).

Almost a year has passed since he was drafted, any info on him? Has his stock risen since then?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I was reading a few articles, apparently he rose from 155 to 73 on the central scouting list the year he was drafted. I'm mainly curious because Ottawa traded up for him and in the process gave up what would theoretically be a more valuable pick to do so. (Although, not sure there's a big difference between 6s and 7s).

Almost a year has passed since he was drafted, any info on him? Has his stock risen since then?

http://thehockeywriters.com/kelly-summers-a-late-round-gem-for-sens/
This is what I found on him a few weeks ago. He seems to be coming along and had a decent year at Clarkson.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

someone posted an article earlier on here. The article was very favorable fo the pick and how Summers has played. might have to look a ways back

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
What happened to Maidens did the concussion ruin his hockey career?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Maidens was a fantastic pick. It was a terrible draft year as far as depth goes, and we went full-upside with our pick. You can't blame the scouts for picking a guy who suffered a career-ending concussion after he was drafted.

I still think he was easily the best player taken in the 3rd that year, and was better than probably most of the 2nd rounders as well. It's a shame how his entire career got lifted out from under him.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Maidens was a fantastic pick. It was a terrible draft year as far as depth goes, and we went full-upside with our pick. You can't blame the scouts for picking a guy who suffered a career-ending concussion after he was drafted.

I still think he was easily the best player taken in the 3rd that year, and was better than probably most of the 2nd rounders as well. It's a shame how his entire career got lifted out from under him.

Yuppers. Could of seen him as even a first round pick. Love the pick and i imagine it was nice for Maidens to get drafted too. Glad the sens could do that for him(although someone else probably would of)

I thought maidens was injured going into the draft though. He was already having concussions issues ie only 28 games played

BigBush*

Super excited to see how Ben Harpur does next year in Bingo. Surprised he isn't talked about more on here

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Super excited to see how Ben Harpur does next year in Bingo. Surprised he isn't talked about more on here

I spoke about him earlier this year. I think he has a ton of potential but i doubt he reaches it. Might just be a solid bottom pairing guy. His offense was really coming around before being traded

6 points in 9 playoffs games well being plus 9

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
His offense was really coming around before being traded

6 points in 9 playoffs games well being plus 9

I usually don't get overly excited about large offensive improvements in CHLers in their overage years, especially for guys who previously didn't show much offensive game over the rest of their major-junior careers.

Harpur was a man playing against kids 4 years his junior on some nights. I would expect more offence simply based on the fact that he should be over-powering a lot of kids in a way that he couldn't have in his draft year.

I still really like Harpur, don't get me wrong. I just don't see this year's slight offensive upswing to be anything more than an age-related anomaly.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I usually don't get overly excited about large offensive improvements in CHLers in their overage years, especially for guys who previously didn't show much offensive game over the rest of their major-junior careers.

Harpur was a man playing against kids 4 years his junior on some nights. I would expect more offence simply based on the fact that he should be over-powering a lot of kids in a way that he couldn't have in his draft year.

I still really like Harpur, don't get me wrong. I just don't see this year's slight offensive upswing to be anything more than an age-related anomaly.

I agree but still... you cant take anything away from that other then a positive.

Myers was a guy who developed his offensive game after his draft year and continued it into the NHL. Cowen on the other hand was not able to continue his offense.

I would take away that its a positive in that he may have more confidence in his offensive ability and skills. Likely more then he did before. For a guy who use to play forward he might have some hidden offensive talent deep down too

I think at any level once you score you have more faith in your ability to do it at a higher level. You can also develop a different mentality

If you are disappointed in his number i would point to the diffence in his totals between Guelph and Barrie. I think its obvious his role change between the two and it effected his offense.

He certainly could of led Guelph defense in scoring or at least been neck and neck with leslie

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I agree but still... you cant take anything away from that other then a positive.

Myers was a guy who developed his offensive game after his draft year and continued it into the NHL. Cowen on the other hand was not able to continue his offense.

I would take away that its a positive in that he may have more confidence in his offensive ability and skills. Likely more then he did before. For a guy who use to play forward he might have some hidden offensive talent deep down too

I think at any level once you score you have more faith in your ability to do it at a higher level. You can also develop a different mentality

If you are disappointed in his number i would point to the diffence in his totals between Guelph and Barrie. I think its obvious his role change between the two and it effected his offense.

He certainly could of led Guelph defense in scoring or at least been neck and neck with leslie

Not disagreeing with any of this.

I'm just saying I've been watching hockey for long enough to know that a sudden spike in offensive numbers in Major-Junior from a 19-year-old season to a 20-year-old one are pretty common regardless of actual skill level, and the anomalous spikes in production don't really predict anything. It doesn't mean they can't be indicative of a leap in development, I'm just saying they usually aren't - most of the time, it's just a case of being physically and mentally stronger than almost everyone else you play against.

Ideally, you want to see that leap immediately following their draft year.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Harpur was on the same offensive pace as finn to start the last year (2013) but then tailed off heavy while finn continued to tear it up.
iirc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad