Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2015-2016 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Am I ever glad we never took Bittner. If you couldn't see how that was a disaster waiting to happen I don't know what to say.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He'll be a fish out of water in the AHL. Scoring wingers who fail to hit PPG in the Q, should not be moving up a level the first chance that they get.

Let him dominate a year in junior before moving him up into a more physical, harder to score in, professional league. The only chance that he becomes a semi useful player for us in the future is if he learns to use that big body of his, and he's not going to do that by getting manhandled in the AHL.

Never been a fan of this pick personally. Happy to see him starting to regain some of his lost value since the draft, but I still dont have high hopes for him.

He has played half a season injured and got traded but you are giving up on him one year after his draft... Maybe give it a little more time.

Chabot player of the week in the Q.

http://theqmjhl.ca/thomas-chabot-des-sea-dogs-est-le-joueur-de-la-semaine-dans-la-lch/

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
He has played half a season injured and got traded but you are giving up on him one year after his draft... Maybe give it a little more time.

Chabot player of the week in the Q.

http://theqmjhl.ca/thomas-chabot-des-sea-dogs-est-le-joueur-de-la-semaine-dans-la-lch/

Where did I say that I gave up on him? Not having high hopes for him is different than completely writing him off...

I'm not alone in thinking he was an odd player to move up for, and that his value has if anything fallen since the draft.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I expect him to struggle mightily if he's moved up to the AHL next year, and believe the Q is much a better place for him to be than Evansville in the ECHL for development imo.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
When do you guys think we will sign White to an elc?

I believe they have already said that he is returning to college & will not turn pro. They cannot sign him to an ELC until he decides to leave school & turn pro & then they can sign him.

Where did I say that I gave up on him? Not having high hopes for him is different than completely writing him off...

I'm not alone in thinking he was an odd player to move up for, and that his value has if anything fallen since the draft.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I expect him to struggle mightily if he's moved up to the AHL next year, and believe the Q is much a better place for him to be than Evansville in the ECHL for development imo.

Why do you think he has lost his value? He apparently had a pretty significant injury during the rookie tournament last yr which kept him out for a number of months to start this season. Since he was behind due to that injury it took him a little while to get himself back into game shape & obviously his production would have taken a big hit because of that. He now seems to be back to normal & has started producing in the playoffs & looks good. His value should not have gone down because he was out for so long with an injury, but what I would agree with is that this seemed to be a swing for the fences draft pick & that the Sens brass are or were very high on him, more so than where he was ranked.

Based on what I saw from him last summer at the development camp & in the tournament until he got rocked (I was there), he was pretty good. At the development camp I attended he was working really hard, went to the net hard & worked for every inch of ice. This was different from what I initially heard on here that he was a little lazy & didn't work very hard or back check. He is a pretty good skater, fast, has good size & back checks well but I would not say he is a physical player, more like Chiasson to be honest. I just hope he has more luck around the net than Chiasson otherwise they are similar players to me & it didn't look to me like he would drop them at all.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Could a player with Gagne's size actually have a negative affect from playing an overage season in the Q? Him developing dependencies on his size would be a bad thing.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I believe they have already said that he is returning to college & will not turn pro. They cannot sign him to an ELC until he decides to leave school & turn pro & then they can sign him.

Why do you think he has lost his value? He apparently had a pretty significant injury during the rookie tournament last yr which kept him out for a number of months to start this season. Since he was behind due to that injury it took him a little while to get himself back into game shape & obviously his production would have taken a big hit because of that. He now seems to be back to normal & has started producing in the playoffs & looks good. His value should not have gone down because he was out for so long with an injury, but what I would agree with is that this seemed to be a swing for the fences draft pick & that the Sens brass are or were very high on him, more so than where he was ranked.

Based on what I saw from him last summer at the development camp & in the tournament until he got rocked (I was there), he was pretty good. At the development camp I attended he was working really hard, went to the net hard & worked for every inch of ice. This was different from what I initially heard on here that he was a little lazy & didn't work very hard or back check. He is a pretty good skater, fast, has good size & back checks well but I would not say he is a physical player, more like Chiasson to be honest. I just hope he has more luck around the net than Chiasson otherwise they are similar players to me & it didn't look to me like he would drop them at all.

Your kidding yourself if you don't think that he has lost value since the draft. Nothing major, but try to get another 2nd round pick for him right now, and I don't think any team would bite.

Hopefully he proves me wrong, but as for now, his stand out rookie camp is a fleeting memory at this point for me.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Your kidding yourself if you don't think that he has lost value since the draft. Nothing major, but try to get another 2nd round pick for him right now, and I don't think any team would bite.

Hopefully he proves me wrong, but as for now, his stand out rookie camp is a fleeting memory at this point for me.

I pretty well 100% guarantee Colorado, at minimum, would do that.

They were the reason we had to trade up.

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010

No, they said it would be White's call as to whether or not he would turn pro. Nothing has been announced yet.

It would probably be best if he stayed another year in college, but he should be fine if he played right away.

Anyone thinking he is going down to the AHL or ECHL clearly didn't watch him play this year. If he turns pro it's because he's got a spot on the team booked for him.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I pretty well 100% guarantee Colorado, at minimum, would do that.

They were the reason we had to trade up.

Listen I don't really care to be honest. I know that's what the story was at draft day, but neither you nor I know how anyone really views him now after his very underwhelming post draft year. So I'll admit, that was a fairly pointless remark by myself.

Hes an interesting prospect, and I'm a fairly optimistic person when it comes to our prospects, but I'm going to continue to scratch my head over this pick until I see something more substantial than a dominant rookie tournament, if you could even call it that.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
And for the record, because I obviously wasn't very clear on this, the reason why I think that he's gone down in value is because he was taken so high (36th), which was quite a reach at that point I believe. I thought he was ranked in the 3rd by a few different outlets.

When you get taken way ahead of where you were ranked (speaking mainly about 1st and 2nd rounders here), and fail to show any reasonable progression relative to your peers, you've lost value imo.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Listen I don't really care to be honest. I know that's what the story was at draft day, but neither you nor I know how anyone really views him now after his very underwhelming post draft year. So I'll admit, that was a fairly pointless remark by myself.

Hes an interesting prospect, and I'm a fairly optimistic person when it comes to our prospects, but I'm going to continue to scratch my head over this pick until I see something more substantial than a dominant rookie tournament, if you could even call it that.

Well it makes sense considering they traded down from 31-39 because they assumed he'd still be there. I've "heard" that Trent Mann knew Colorado were going to take Gagne at pick 39.

No doubt Gagne never had the regular season we'd hoped. He is having a great playoffs (3rd to Beauvillier and Timashov on the Cataractes according to friends) and will have a full summer of training in Ottawa.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
And for the record, because I obviously wasn't very clear on this, the reason why I think that he's gone down in value is because he was taken so high (36th), which was quite a reach at that point I believe. I thought he was ranked in the 3rd by a few different outlets.

When you get taken way ahead of where you were ranked (speaking mainly about 1st and 2nd rounders here), and fail to show any reasonable progression relative to your peers, you've lost value imo.

He was ranked mid 2nd (36th NA skater), and wasn't making it past Colorado at 39/40.

He definitely never raised his value, but the teams who loved him, loved him not for what he is now, but for what he could be. The Sens are more worried about what he will look like in 3 years rather than him winning the Jean Beliveau trophy.

But yes, I do see why there would be concern after this season.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Well it makes sense considering they traded down from 31-39 because they assumed he'd still be there. I've "heard" that Trent Mann knew Colorado were going to take Gagne at pick 39.

No doubt Gagne never had the regular season we'd hoped. He is having a great playoffs (3rd to Beauvillier and Timashov on the Cataractes according to friends) and will have a full summer of training in Ottawa.

Thats the gamble we made. I wish some people would stop acting like it's paying off for us though, especially with the season he had.

Everyone hoped that his pedestrian draft year stat line was just the tip of the iceberg for him (what they would call a late bloomer), and hes done nothing to suggest that statement is true yet.

We gambled and even traded up for a guy who was a reach, and it may still pay off, but the odds just went down after last year, hence the drop in value.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Its to early to make any decision on Gagne. Getting injured and then going to a team that gave him a smaller role can affect number. Next year will obviously be very important though

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Its to early to make any decision on Gagne. Getting injured and then going to a team that gave him a smaller role can affect number. Next year will obviously be very important though

It's not like his star was shinning brightly in a larger role before he got traded, but I agree with you on everything.

Edit: OK that's not fair didn't realize he only had 8 games back before getting traded.

Last edited:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Perron and that dude we got from Toronto both with an assist so far.

Just saw the chabot hit, it was clean refs totally ****ed up

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Definitely a bad call on the Chabot hit. He stepped up and went right through Gagne's shoulder.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Perron 1g 1a
Gagne 1g 1a
Donaghey 1a
Chabot 5 pm and game
Erkamps 1a

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
As a guy who saw a lot of Gagne I am not really a big fan of the pick. I can see why they chose him but I don't think we'll strike gold with it. I still can't believe we didn't take Sprong

Bad choice that looks even worse now. Who knows what happens in the future, but as of today, Sprong is a much higher caliber prospect. Always has been unfortunately for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad