Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2015-2016 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I highly doubt he is back in junior. Very highly.

He'll be a fish out of water in the AHL. Scoring wingers who fail to hit PPG in the Q, should not be moving up a level the first chance that they get.

Let him dominate a year in junior before moving him up into a more physical, harder to score in, professional league. The only chance that he becomes a semi useful player for us in the future is if he learns to use that big body of his, and he's not going to do that by getting manhandled in the AHL.

Never been a fan of this pick personally. Happy to see him starting to regain some of his lost value since the draft, but I still dont have high hopes for him.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think that in this day and age how you play matters more as to if you get promoted a league up rather than just offensive numbers.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Gagne is pretty much a lock for the AHL.

He's a big forward with room to grow both in his on-ice game and off-ice training.

Going to Bingo with "pros" or "semi-pros" (lol) can only help him. He'll easily be able to survive the AHL game given his size and style, but it's up to him to grow as a player down there. Looking forward to that!

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Who have we kept in the CHL as 20's?

Culek, Fransoo and Brassard (never even signed) Hoffman and Kramer (drafted at 19)..I'm drawing a blank otherwise.

We won't be leaving a top 40 pick in the CHL as a 20.

We never even left Vince Dunn there as a 20.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014

Culek, Fransoo and Brassard (never even signed) Hoffman and Kramer (drafted at 19)..I'm drawing a blank otherwise.

Totally fair, but what do you expect of him as a pro next year? Will he bounce between Evansville and Bingo? Will he transition easily to the physical game? Will he score early on, or should we expect numbers similar to Paul's rookie numbers?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

And look at how great that's working out for Dunn in Evansville...

Just because we can send him there, doesn't mean that we should (see Hoffman).

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If he can put on 10 pounds in the offseason, I'd be more inclined to him joining the pros but if Shawinigan want him back, I'd send him there to take on a big role. It'll be tough for him to get the same opportunities in Bingo.

I'd worry about a guy who's like 185 and 6'5 in the AHL. Especially a guy who's dealt with injuries in the past. That could be a disaster.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
It was a bust of a season for him dealing with all those injuries. Let him get into the groove with a (hopefully) full season next year in the CHL.

Top line minutes and special teams would do well for the kids confidence and development.

The only advantage I could see of him coming up to the A is a little bit stronger strength and conditioning program I'm sure pro's go through.

He could take D'Aoust or whoever the f that is spot as the top line RW'er and be getting minutes as the finisher with Beauvillier setting him up as I doubt he makes the Isles next year and isnt AHL eligible.

I could see a 40 goal season out of him in that scenario. Plus the dudes a project. Its going to be at least 2-3 years in the AHL before he even gets a sniff I think. I still strongly believe in the middle 6 scoring winger potential. Not many guys that tall can skate like he can.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Wikstrand was apparently cut from Sweden's WC team due to injury. Didn't know he had that good of a season.

Or did I just dream that this happened?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If he can put on 10 pounds in the offseason, I'd be more inclined to him joining the pros but if Shawinigan want him back, I'd send him there to take on a big role. It'll be tough for him to get the same opportunities in Bingo.

I'd worry about a guy who's like 185 and 6'5 in the AHL. Especially a guy who's dealt with injuries in the past. That could be a disaster.

Agreed.

I don't want a boy playing in a mans league. It's bad enough he lost development time due to injury already. Having a kid play against men definitely increases the odds of further injuries. He needs that development time now. We've all seen how major/lingering injuries to 17-21 year-olds completely screw up their long-term development. These are crucial years....can't waste them.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
AHL is probably better for Gagne. Guy needs a pro routine and needs to train with men. His role changed when he was traded from what i understand and he had some injury issues this year. This season might not be the best indicator of where hes at.

I wouldnt be upset if he was left in junior but i see merit in him going to bingo and training with the sens staff and not playing with kids

I dont think it would hurt him to stay in the Q

Last edited:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I think it would be better for Gagne to go back to the Q next season, he hasn't really been "The Guy" yet. Let him get the confidence of scoring goals/points every night and then let him advance into the AHL.

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009

Another world beater Corey Cowick, another 19 yo draftee though. Gagne starts in the AHL for sure, and then I'm sure theyll go from there

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I hope he goes pro, getting used to a full 82 game season is going to be rough, might as well get started.

Not a huge deal if he decides to go back to college though.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Can an NCAA kid sign a contract with no money exchanged (like a signing bonus only when he makes the team or starts playing preseason games) and still keep his college eligibility?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Can an NCAA kid sign a contract with no money exchanged (like a signing bonus only when he makes the team or starts playing preseason games) and still keep his college eligibility?

No, the moment he is at training camp he is essentially a pro.

And contract will void his NCAA eligibility.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Basically my thoughts too.

Would rather him go pro and play in Bingo with likely call ups.

But a guy going back and ripening never hurt.

He'll start in the AHL. If he can't cut it, there's always the ECHL. He's not coming back to juniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad