Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2015-2016 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
My expectations of the prospects coming this way in the Phaneuf trade are not very high.
The D, Donaghy, played for Halifax earlier this year. They traded him I think cause he wasn't there when I saw them play CB recently. He's an offensive guy, not bad. Not great. He seemed slow but I understand he had a major knee injury the year before so there may be improvement there as he gets stronger. Pretty good offensive ability so that's something to work with.

Halifax sucks this year so that probably hurt his production. Not quite sure where he is now. Doubt he'd crack our top 15 prospects.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Condra wore #11 in college at Notre Dame, and again in the AHL with Bingo.

The reason he wore #22 with us is because it's just 11, but doubled.

Nice math. I thought I read somewhere that Condra wore #22 in respect to Van Allan who had been quite helpful & a bit of a mentor to him when he first came to the Sens organization & Ottawa.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Nice math. I thought I read somewhere that Condra wore #22 in respect to Van Allan who had been quite helpful & a bit of a mentor to him when he first came to the Sens organization & Ottawa.

Wasn't van Allen already doing radio when constantly got here

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The D, Donaghy, played for Halifax earlier this year. They traded him I think cause he wasn't there when I saw them play CB recently. He's an offensive guy, not bad. Not great. He seemed slow but I understand he had a major knee injury the year before so there may be improvement there as he gets stronger. Pretty good offensive ability so that's something to work with.

Halifax sucks this year so that probably hurt his production. Not quite sure where he is now. Doubt he'd crack our top 15 prospects.

He was traded to Moncton who acquired him for a President's Cup run.

He isn't a top 15 prospect, nowhere near.

He will be back in the Q as a 20 next year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Wasn't van Allen already doing radio when constantly got here
He may have been I don't recall but I do remember Van Allen helping out at a few of the development camps back then. I just have a vague recollection where I read or heard on TV someone saying that Condra said Van Allan helped him & he decided to wear #22 because of it, is my recollection of the story. It may have been Dean Brown during one game, he usually has these tidbits of stories regarding the team.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I was going through a big list of prospects on a website, and they had a row giving the prospect's age. As i scrolled through i saw "23" and thought "that's old" and realized it was matt puempel.

I know everyone progresses differently, but this is the age most players have their most productive offensive seasons. He can't even crack a non playoff team's roster that includes players like Neil(8 pts in 55 games)chiasson (7 points in 52 games) and keeps putting guys like dziurzynski, mccormick, and even dzingle(i like him)in the lineup over puempel.

What is going on? Is puempel busting? Is management sour on him? OR is everything good and we are just being patient.

Just the fact that a 1st rounder 5 years after his draft can't crack the roster of a non playoff team doesn't look good.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I was going through a big list of prospects on a website, and they had a row giving the prospect's age. As i scrolled through i saw "23" and thought "that's old" and realized it was matt puempel.

I know everyone progresses differently, but this is the age most players have their most productive offensive seasons. He can't even crack a non playoff team's roster that includes players like Neil(8 pts in 55 games)chiasson (7 points in 52 games) and keeps putting guys like dziurzynski, mccormick, and even dzingle(i like him)in the lineup over puempel.

What is going on? Is puempel busting? Is management sour on him? OR is everything good and we are just being patient.

Just the fact that a 1st rounder 5 years after his draft can't crack the roster of a non playoff team doesn't look good.

I think its somewhere in the middle. Will he ever be a top line forward? Not likely. Will he be an NHL player? Probably.

They have worked hard with him on his all-around game, and as is typical with most of their non-polished prospects (especially fwds) they have taken him along slowly - Stone and Hoffman are two similar examples - although they were drafted much later, both have flaws that are/were similar to Puempel's - speed, and d-zone play.

He will be back up, and I suspect he will either be traded for a NHL winger with less upside, or will be inserted in our lineup out of camp next year. I think he still has a really good shot at being a 20 goal guy. Great shot, hard worker, big body, good IQ... he doesn't have it all but he could be a really nice replacement for the Smith/Chiasson netfront role on the PP, and eventually be a good 2nd/3rd liner.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Well to be fair no
One is taking chiasson or Neil's spots for various reasons. Not like either of them have beaten out anyone else for their spots fair and square.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Everything is good, there is a lot more to it than what you are describing given the number of one way contracts already on the team. Look how difficult it was for BM to bury Greening & how hard it was for him to finally trade him rather than buy him out. Do you think he or Melnyk would have been okay with putting Neil, Cowen, Wiercioch, Chiasson & others on waivers & paying them to play in Bingo so they could bring up more rookies? It's the business part of hockey that managers have to live by. You can only carry 23 healthy players & can't bring players up otherwise or send someone down & the guys you mentioned would all have to go through waivers.

Every team has players that have to wait their turn, this yr Prince & Wideman are on the team because of their age they would have to be placed on waivers to go back to Bingo & someone would grab them off waivers & Ottawa would lose the assets. They need to prove they belong here or they will be moved & space will be made for others. Puempel & Claesson will be in the same boat next yr as Prince & Wideman are in this yr & decisions will have to be made on who stays & who will get dealt or waived. Keep in mind that we have Hoffman on LW, had Michalek all yr at LW, Smith is playing LW & doing great & have Prince at LW. We also played Lazar there & Chiasson there at times, there simply wasn't any room for him except when there were injuries & we brought Puempel up twice. I think he is hurt these days.

Wiercioch2Karlsson

Sep 13, 2010
Dzingel looked awesome yesterday. He made a difference on most of his shifts, creating chances, gaining possesion, etc. I'd experiment using him in Turris' spot with talented wingers until Turris stops playing like a puss. Dzingel is slight like Turris, but doesn't seem to be as weak on the puck and I'd say his puck skills are better. Very, very intrigued to see what he can do. His numbers in Bingo are/were very respectable, too.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Ottawa needs to stack their AHL-team.

Being on a great team, in a winning enviroment, mean a lot for developing prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad