Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2014-2015 Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Again, if i were Da costa i would pick ottawa as one of the last teams to play for. assuming he would get opportunities with other teams.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Tobias Lindberg gets it going early! 1 assist in the 1st period! Let his tremendous play continue

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Again, if i were Da costa i would pick ottawa as one of the last teams to play for. assuming he would get opportunities with other teams.

You think he holds some sort of spite? I'm sure hes made friends in the senators organization that he'd like to play with or be around. As long as he gets a fair opportunity with the sens i think hes just as likely if not more to choose the sens.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
You think he holds some sort of spite? I'm sure hes made friends in the senators organization that he'd like to play with or be around. As long as he gets a fair opportunity with the sens i think hes just as likely if not more to choose the sens.

not spite. just that he's been here, given it his all and it wasn't good enough. Someone in management doesn't love him obviously. I'm not sure how much he has changed since then (i'm guessing little), so why not try another org. if he gets a chance?
It's just a 'been there done that' thing. A fresh start somewhere is probably best.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Good luck getting rid of those SDC cards, I wonder who would be interested in that but you never know. I don't get this interest in SDC & if he couldn't make the team playing the position he is the best at then what makes people think he could make the team playing a different position he has never played before? It reminds me of how many on here were upset that Conacher got waived & Filatov couldn't make the team either. Sometimes some guys just are not the right fit for a team, while SDC had some skill he also had some deficiencies like keeping his head up while going through the neutral zone, weak on the puck, weak on faceoffs & small & soft. I think the majority here rate offensive skill over everything else while NHL coaches rate the defensive side of the game quite highly as well.

Kessel for example is terrible defensively & a detriment to the team because of it, as was Spezza at times, as is Yakopov, Ovechkin & a lot of other guys. It's one BIG reason why teams with these kinds of players on them want to get rid of them because they don't win championships with self centred players who put themselves ahead of their team. Selfish players who care more about their stats than team stats & team wins.

I have sold hockey cards in many countries around the world... Sports cards is a very big business and there is a market even for players outside the NHL

I won't comment much on the rest because that's a debate we went trough before, and then the rest is too much speculation. The only thing I'd say is that teams aren't really trying to get rid of Kessel and Ovechkin...

not spite. just that he's been here, given it his all and it wasn't good enough. Someone in management doesn't love him obviously. I'm not sure how much he has changed since then (i'm guessing little), so why not try another org. if he gets a chance?
It's just a 'been there done that' thing. A fresh start somewhere is probably best.

Obviously? This is speculation based on a virtual impression

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
4 assists in 47 career NHL games for a guy supposedly with vision on the level of Karlsson, Alfredsson and Spezza. Jesus...

This is funny.Some guy who put up around 90 assists in a season, and is widely considered to be one of the best play makers of all time, had a grand total of 4 assists in his first 55 games.

In 1997 if I told you that this guy had vision on the level of Forsberg, Jagr and Yzerman. This is what you would have said.

4 assists in 55 career NHL games for a guy supposedly with vision on the level of Forseberg, Jagr and Yzerman. Jesus...

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Can't believe you guys are still discussing DaCosta.
He's in Russia.

#whataboutfilitov

One year contract making a fairly low khl salary and can only play for the sens if he wants to be in the NHL next year. I'm sure if he was failing in the khl no one would care but hes dominating.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Can't believe you guys are still discussing DaCosta.
He's in Russia.

#whataboutfilitov

Da Costa is tearing up KHL, Filatov not so much. SDC named best player of the week today btw.

He'll remain RFA since he didn't sign qualifying offer last summer.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Won't he qualify for unrestricted free agent status on July 1st?

Nope. Sens retain his rights because i believe they offered him a contract and he elected to go to europe. Had he played in bingo or NA he'd be a FA next year but since he chose europe he doesnt get that till the year after. I could be wrong but a few posters with more knowledge of the CBA have dove into this subject and have come out with this conclusion.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Won't he qualify for unrestricted free agent status on July 1st?

I've made the argument before that I think he remains Sens property, as he won't qualify for Group VI UFA due to the fact that he's not on an expiring NHL-approved SPC. The language seems pretty clear in this regard.

That being said, I also need to point out that this is MY INTERPRETATION of the language in the CBA. I could be:

1) Correct in my interpretation,
2) absolutely wrong, or
3) correct, but due to it possibly being something as simple as an oversight in the language that neither the NHL or NHLPA picked up on, is quickly corrected.

As such, I need to point out the fact that I'm a fallible human being, and if I'm wrong here, then I apologise in advance.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I've made the argument before that I think he remains Sens property, as he won't qualify for Group VI UFA due to the fact that he's not on an expiring NHL-approved SPC. The language seems pretty clear in this regard.

That being said, I also need to point out that this is MY INTERPRETATION of the language in the CBA. I could be:

1) Correct in my interpretation,
2) absolutely wrong, or
3) correct, but due to it possibly being something as simple as an oversight in the language that neither the NHL or NHLPA picked up on, is quickly corrected.

As such, I need to point out the fact that I'm a fallible human being, and if I'm wrong here, then I apologise in advance.

Made me laugh out loud - well played.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
This is funny.Some guy who put up around 90 assists in a season, and is widely considered to be one of the best play makers of all time, had a grand total of 4 assists in his first 55 games.

In 1997 if I told you that this guy had vision on the level of Forsberg, Jagr and Yzerman. This is what you would have said.

If Thornton was still a bum when he was 24, be likely always would have been. He struggled as an 18 year old, very very different.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
if I'm wrong here, then I apologise in advance.

tumblr_lvwjiyrcYz1r4gei2o1_400.gif

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
If Thornton was still a bum when he was 24, be likely always would have been. He struggled as an 18 year old, very very different.

The point is that JT still had that elite vision when he was 18 and still only put up 4 assists, as when he was 24! Vision is one of the few things that you cannot really work on too much.
There are a multitude of factors that determine if a player will produce in the NHL. It's the same thing with DaCosta. People like Bianca and Banstreetparade point to DaCosta as not having elite vision based solely on his stats, that's a ridiculously simplistic and wrong way of looking at it.

Stat watchers are obvious.

I'm not saying that DaCosta will be a star and put up elite assist stats and that he should be our #1C. But only that he has elite vision which our forward corps is lacking, and that if if he was managed better last year, he could have been a productive fixture in our top 9 this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad