Post-Game Talk: Senators @ Jackets Oct. 14th

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Is it just me or Lazar loses the puck quite often wheter its neutral or offensive zone?

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Cowen did have 2 or 3 giveaways. That official giveaway counter is kinda random.
Pageau didn't have a good game either before scoring his goal. But by that point Blue Jackets were pretty much done.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Cowen did have 2 or 3 giveaways. That official giveaway counter is kinda random.
Pageau didn't have a good game either before scoring his goal. But by that point Blue Jackets were pretty much done.

Cowen had 1 particularly bad giveaway but he worked hard to retrieve the puck and get us out of danger. He also had that weird mishap behind the net but I think that was probably due to not having support from his partner who had prematurely left for a line change (I'd have to rewatch to be sure of this).

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm approaching this game with cautious optimism. Guys like Zibanejad, Bobby and co. looked better, but at the same time Columbus was an absolute train-wreck defensively. Hope this kind of confidence can spur them on to continue to improve their performance, but I think that playing against a decently organized team would have looked a lot different last night.

Big W though.

6stringmofo

Mar 12, 2015
Ottawa
btw - all the guys we said needed to step up on the offseason are pretty much exceeding expectations.

NOBODY would have predicted Cowen would be playing this well this early. Michalek has been very strong, looks a full step quicker to me. Smith hasn't played this well in 3 years (he's still not great, but better).

PW had a disastrous start to the year but his defensive positioning was MUCH improved last night and he continues to move the puck well enough. Hopefully last night was the start of him turning it around.

Ceci looks better to me, Stone (somehow) looks better, Hoffman looks stronger. So many positives early in the season.

Pretty sure I did on several threads

Studzle

Dec 1, 2013
Toronto
So what are everyones thoughts on the outcome of the game tonight. As Curtinho said, I as well am approaching the game with cautious optimism. If we get the same offence from last night against this less then stellar Pittsburgh defence. Now if the Pens offence decides it wants to finally show, well I hope Cowen is wearing his big boy pants.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
btw - all the guys we said needed to step up on the offseason are pretty much exceeding expectations.

NOBODY would have predicted Cowen would be playing this well this early. Michalek has been very strong, looks a full step quicker to me. Smith hasn't played this well in 3 years (he's still not great, but better).

PW had a disastrous start to the year but his defensive positioning was MUCH improved last night and he continues to move the puck well enough. Hopefully last night was the start of him turning it around.

Ceci looks better to me, Stone (somehow) looks better, Hoffman looks stronger. So many positives early in the season.

he is going to be a top 3 defenceman on our team next year

:D, doesnt say much about the rest of our defence but lets not talk about that right now

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
The point is to have them if your players are underperforming or injured.

Mac's out so Prince will probably be in the lineup tonight. Slotting him in on the 3rd line makes a lot more sense than putting him on the 4th IMO.

You are right if the subs are older players with little upside but not so if they are young prospects.

It makes no sense keeping Prince and Wideman on the sidelines when there are players that are so obviously struggling and/or rushing players back after injury like Mac and Lazar.

Cameron seems to be following a little in MacLean's footsteps so far this season. I am sure he feels the pressure to repeat his success of last year and that generally makes coaching decisions just a little harder.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
So what are everyones thoughts on the outcome of the game tonight. As Curtinho said, I as well am approaching the game with cautious optimism. If we get the same offence from last night against this less then stellar Pittsburgh defence. Now if the Pens offence decides it wants to finally show, well I hope Cowen is wearing his big boy pants.

Interesting you hope Cowen will don the big boys pants when he has played quite well so far.

IMO its the 2nd pairing that had better put on the big boy pants tonight or whoever gets the net will be in for a difficult time.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

Yes he had one or two plays where he lost possession, but given the number of minutes he played nothing really unexpected.

There wasn't a defenseman that didn't turn over the puck or lose possession on either team last night, why is Cowen singled out when it happens to him?

If there has been one defenseman that deserves scrutiny and critiquing for his play, the name is Wiercoich.

In terms of expectations and performance this board would have had Cowen rated last, at best a 6/7 D-man, entering the season.

Over the first 4 games Cowen has been at least the third best D and there could even be a cogent argument that he has performed at as well as Methot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad