Post-Game Talk: Senators @ Jackets Oct. 14th

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
We were facing a desperate team in the first, and managed to get away from it just one goal down. After about the 5 minute mark of the 2nd I thought we were the better team until the end, which for a road game is pretty much all you can ask for.

So while we still need to make some adjustments, it was a big improvement over the first three games. Can't expect everything to get fixed at once.

I disagree. I thought the first 2 periods against BUF were the best we played defensively. We controlled that game. Ever since then, it's been sloppy and willy nilly. Like I said, kind of like it was under Maclean. Which is concerning.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
Good win tonight. But let's keep in mind this is the worst performing team in the league right now. Great sign that we finished strong, but we should never have had to tie the game up on three different occasions.

On a positive note, we are beating the teams we are supposed to be beating, unlike the last few years where we regularly lost to teams we should have beaten. We didn't fall into a trap game tonight, although it certainly looked like that early on.

Ryan scored, and even though it was an empty net hopefully this will get him going.

Defense still has lots of issues that need to be worked out. Weir is REALLY struggling out there.

Although generally I am a Neil supporter, I have to throw in the towel here and admit its time for him to sit. He really offers nothing anymore; at least not to this team. Perhaps he could be useful still on another team but right now he is taking up a roster spot and offering nothing. Time for him to sit in the press box.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Zibanejad came on tonight. Im surprised not a lot of talk about him.

5 points in 4 games.

Took him 18 games last year to record his first 5 points. Guy was dominant tonight. Ryan was really good too. Some smart plays.

Karlsson was Karlsson, not even in top form but creating chances nonstop and not as sloppy in defensive zone as first 3 games, but that's to be expected as he plays more.

What else, depth showing but that 4th line could be better.

Cowen with another great game, Wier and Boro not so much.

Love Pageau and Lazar together. Chiasson and Michalek had great games, especially Milo.

All in all, a really solid victory, should be proud of the boys. On to the next one.

Oct 31, 2011
Ottawa
Am I really the only one who thought that Cowen was less than stellar tonight? Maybe I'm missing some plays, but he seemed to give the puck away a lot in our own end and in the neutral zone. :help:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
First half of the game looked as bad s the montreal game, have to thank anderson and the bj's defensive lapses for us still being in the game at that point to even have a hope of turning it around. Then the jackets started to fall apart. Did we take advantage? Yes we did, good for us, but against most teams at that halfway point we're going to be down 3 goals, not tied..

Still, the bottom line is naturally it turned out to be a feelgood win that boosts our numbers and hopefully gets some people's games going.

Hope clarke's ok though if prince gets a game out of it i wont be angry either

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Good win tonight. But let's keep in mind this is the worst performing team in the league right now. Great sign that we finished strong, but we should never have had to tie the game up on three different occasions.

On a positive note, we are beating the teams we are supposed to be beating, unlike the last few years where we regularly lost to teams we should have beaten.
We didn't fall into a trap game tonight, although it certainly looked like that early on.

Ryan scored, and even though it was an empty net hopefully this will get him going.

Defense still has lots of issues that need to be worked out. Weir is REALLY struggling out there.

Although generally I am a Neil supporter, I have to throw in the towel here and admit its time for him to sit. He really offers nothing anymore; at least not to this team. Perhaps he could be useful still on another team but right now he is taking up a roster spot and offering nothing. Time for him to sit in the press box.

Great point.

Beating the teams we should be beating helps a helluva lot down the road. So many times this team plays to the level of their opponents. They started out that way last night, but managed to pull out of the funk and finish very strong. Definitely a good sign.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
It boggles my mind that Hoffman only has that one goal on the season. He's had some insane chances. I think he's going to score 30 unless he continues to be snakebit.

I thought everyone played well. Ceci had a miscue or two and PW had one messup but I thought both were much better and played quite well overall. So nice to see Zibby play well and Ryan as well.

We get lazy defensively but we can play with anyone when we have our top players going.

Stone is such a freaking stud too. Love, love, love that top line.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
btw - all the guys we said needed to step up on the offseason are pretty much exceeding expectations.

NOBODY would have predicted Cowen would be playing this well this early. Michalek has been very strong, looks a full step quicker to me. Smith hasn't played this well in 3 years (he's still not great, but better).

PW had a disastrous start to the year but his defensive positioning was MUCH improved last night and he continues to move the puck well enough. Hopefully last night was the start of him turning it around.

Ceci looks better to me, Stone (somehow) looks better, Hoffman looks stronger. So many positives early in the season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
btw - all the guys we said needed to step up on the offseason are pretty much exceeding expectations.

NOBODY would have predicted Cowen would be playing this well this early. Michalek has been very strong, looks a full step quicker to me. Smith hasn't played this well in 3 years (he's still not great, but better).

PW had a disastrous start to the year but his defensive positioning was MUCH improved last night and he continues to move the puck well enough. Hopefully last night was the start of him turning it around.

Ceci looks better to me, Stone (somehow) looks better, Hoffman looks stronger. So many positives early in the season.

I thought Ceci struggled against forcheckers. He lost a few puck battles that imo he had no business losing. When he had open ice, he was defending a rush or we were in the offensive zone he looked fine though.

I'm really itching to get Wideman in, but I don't think Boro has given the coach a reason to pull him out yet and Wiercioch should be given a bit of rope before getting the hook (had a good game anyways).

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Are we going to hear that Neil should sit after every game? Four solid games in a row from him and after everyone there's a bunch of posts about how he should be a scratch. I really don't understand what anyone thinks will happen if we insert Prince onto the 4th line to play 7 minutes per night with Smith and Chiasson.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Are we going to hear that Neil should sit after every game? Four solid games in a row from him and after everyone there's a bunch of posts about how he should be a scratch. I really don't understand what anyone thinks will happen if we insert Prince onto the 4th line to play 7 minutes per night with Smith and Chiasson.

I thought last night was actually one of the worst games from that line (though once Clb's spirits were crushed, they did a good job closing the door in the third).

Prince deserves to be in the lineup, but I don't think anyone (neil included) has done enough to lose their spot yet.

I think Prince Smith Chiasson could actually work. Smith and Chiasson dig the pucks out of the corners and Prince handles zone entries and finishes plays. Neil in his place pretty much makes that line a crash and bang line, which really isn't Chiasson's forté.

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
I was actually impressed with man-bun Cowan and how he seems to finally be figuring out how to use his size to shut down opponents in his own end. I've always said I'd love for him to discover a mean streak that lies buried beneath... but it's hard to teach 'mean'. Someone needs to snip off his man-bun when he's asleep, get the blood all angered-up.

Chiasson was meh IMO... seems like he's another Greening in the sense that he has speed (at times) and some skill, but little hockey sense. He gets a little slack for that sweet breakaway goal he sniped early on (Toronto game?) coming out of the box... but that's also part of the problem - he's taking a lot of ticky-tack penalties (hooking, etc.) that I think take away from the team's momentum. Give Prince a shot in the lineup.

BigZKingK

Mar 4, 2012
I was actually impressed with man-bun Cowan and how he seems to finally be figuring out how to use his size to shut down opponents in his own end. I've always said I'd love for him to discover a mean streak that lies buried beneath... but it's hard to teach 'mean'. Someone needs to snip off his man-bun when he's asleep, get the blood all angered-up.

Chiasson was meh IMO... seems like he's another Greening in the sense that he has speed (at times) and some skill, but little hockey sense. He gets a little slack for that sweet breakaway goal he sniped early on (Toronto game?) coming out of the box... but that's also part of the problem - he's taking a lot of ticky-tack penalties (hooking, etc.) that I think take away from the team's momentum. Give Prince a shot in the lineup.

I used to love Chiasson but the penalties are really starting to get on my nerves those useless penalties will cost us games this year... i would sit him before neil honestly

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I'd totally sit Chi, not a big fan of his. But it looks like we might need prince for macarthur anyhow? any news on whether he's staying out?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
won't be winning any games against good teams playing like that.

But anyway, 2 points! move on, improve.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

What is the point of having subs if you don't play them in the 2nd game of a back-to-back?

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
What is the point of having subs if you don't play them in the 2nd game of a back-to-back?

The point is to have them if your players are underperforming or injured.

Mac's out so Prince will probably be in the lineup tonight. Slotting him in on the 3rd line makes a lot more sense than putting him on the 4th IMO.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
The point is to have them if your players are underperforming or injured.

Mac's out so Prince will probably be in the lineup tonight. Slotting him in on the 3rd line makes a lot more sense than putting him on the 4th IMO.

Michalek has a history with Zibanejad and Ryan and his motor is running right now. Its a good fit for both if Prince draws in beside Pageau and Lazar for the next while.

I wonder what the patience level with Lazar is before an AHL stint (to find his offense) is considered. His D and fore-check are there; just needs the net presence to kick in.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I just hope Mac is ok. This could be his second "head injury" in the past month. Third in a year.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
It's not just this game. We are consistently getting out shot 5 on 5. Out chanced as well.

Cowen and Boro were pretty bad today. Even though people are praising Cowen, I thought he had a weak game. He started reverting to his old habits of trying too much and giving the puck away. Boro didn't help. These guys need to be split up.

I agree the team is giving up too many shots in general and have been outshot in 3 of the 4 games.

However I am not sure they has been out chanced significantly, other than in the loss to Montreal.

IMO Cameron has to do something with the 2nd pairing and while Ceci hasn't been great I believe part of the problem is PW just can't defend.

I realize PW finished the year well and looked fine at the World Championship, but his obvious lack of strength has resulted in him being consistently beaten in the D-Zone and is also the reason he is taking so many penalties.

In regards to Cowen and Boro, neither were bad, as a matter of fact only EK played a better game than Cowen IMO.

The stats show the Sens had 3 GVAs last night, none charged to Cowen. I have no idea what people expect from Cowen, but it definitely seems like regardless of how well he plays it isn't good enough, while other argue PW just needs more time. :amazed:

Lastly, while some have praised the play of the 4th line, it didn't look strong in the D-Zone and Smith played soft and lazy IMO. Neil played his normal game but those two combined for zero shots and 4 hits. IMO the Sens need more out of 2/3s of their 4th line. Chaisson is the only one with any upside on that line IMO.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I havent been as impressed with Cowen as most people. To me he still makes the wrong decisions to often or takes to long to act. He hasnt been a complete gong show like in years past but hes still hasnt looked good. He doesnt look like someone who's going to be a great defenseman. To me Cowen and Boro have played equally well but i would hope Cowen was playing better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad