Seravalli: Senators interested in Parayko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If the Blues are in on Meier, why is Parayko the defender they are trying to move?

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Seravalli saying the Blues want younger D assets in return. Sens wouldn't move Jake Sanderson, I'm guessing?

Would the Sens deal a 2023 1st, Jacob Bernard-Docker, and Nikita Zaitsev to make the contracts work?
LOL, that crazy talk. I am not sure CP is the guy we need, paying that contract until he is 37 is a recipe for disaster

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
Would move a lot from a Sens POV.

He's the definition of what the Sens have been looking for since 2005
I think you havent been paying attention to Parayko the last couple of years. His numbers this year are almost Zaitsev bad and while its not impossible he rebounds I would not gamble on it, I certainly am not giving anything of value given the risk, maybe Zaitsev 1 for 1.

• Haha
Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I think you havent been paying attention to Parayko the last couple of years. His numbers this year are almost Zaitsev bad and while its not impossible he rebounds I would not gamble on it, I certainly am not giving anything of value given the risk, maybe Zaitsev 1 for 1.
When you imply you've "been paying attention to Parayko the last couple of years" (or at least more than Bondra), does this 'attention' extend beyond relatively basic stats?

Reactions: Blueston

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He's an elite defensive defenseman that gets extreme defensive deployment.

20230221_224822-jpg.654588

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Does Parayko for Zub+top 10 protected 1st make any sense here? I doubt we have any interest in thomson or JBD. Not saying ottawa fans would want this, but it falls in line with armstrong's press conference about pursuing players in their prime to grow with our core and opens up a little more cap space as well, if we truly are going after Meier, this atleast makes sense giving STL a viable #3-4(in my opinion) in zub on the 2nd pair going into next season. Whereas trading for meier then dumping parayko for pure futures is contradictory in my mind.

Not sure where ottawa fans value zub, I know he's been kind of an under the radar solid player for them for a few years now, can any ottawa fans inform me on how he's generally viewed nowadays, was looking up his stats, guessin he's been battling injuries this year?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Does Parayko for Zub+top 10 protected 1st make any sense here? I doubt we have any interest in thomson or JBD. Not saying ottawa fans would want this, but it falls in line with armstrong's press conference about pursuing players in their prime to grow with our core and opens up a little more cap space as well, if we truly are going after Meier, while atleast giving STL a viable #3-4(in my opinion) in zub on the 2nd pair.

Not sure where ottawa fans value zub, I know he's been kind of an under the radar solid player for them for a few years now, can any ottawa fans inform me on how he's generally viewed nowadays, was looking up his stats, guessin he's been battling injuries this year?
Don't think Sens would trade Zub for Parayko + STL top 10 protected 1st

He's the Sens Parayko, and signed to an absolute bargain

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Don't think Sens would trade Zub for Parayko + STL top 10 protected 1st

He's the Sens Parayko, and signed to an absolute bargain
Fair enough, that's what i was wondering. I knew he was pretty well appreciated similiar to a Brett Pesce type.

Is Zaitsev playable these days? Would something around him + sens top 10 protected 1st make sense?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Fair enough, that's kinda what i was wondering.

Is Zaitsev playable these days? Would something around him + sens top 10 protected 1st make sense?
He's playable, but not someone you want in your lineup every night.

He's a #7 being paid like a #3/4, and signed for another season. Zaitsev + a top 10 protected 1st absoluetely makes sense, depending on the Sens valuation of Parayko.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Does Parayko for Zub+top 10 protected 1st make any sense here? I doubt we have any interest in thomson or JBD. Not saying ottawa fans would want this, but it falls in line with armstrong's press conference about pursuing players in their prime to grow with our core and opens up a little more cap space as well, if we truly are going after Meier, this atleast makes sense giving STL a viable #3-4(in my opinion) in zub on the 2nd pair going into next season. Whereas trading for meier then dumping parayko for pure futures is contradictory in my mind.

Yeah, I'd expect a deal around Parayko and Zub making the most sense. Ottawa gets the superior player, St. Louis gets a cheaper downgrade that is still capable of playing on the defensive pair in the top 4.

Reactions: DatDude44

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah, I'd expect a deal around Parayko and Zub making the most sense. Ottawa gets the superior player, St. Louis gets a cheaper downgrade that is still capable of playing on the defensive pair in the top 4.
Hell no from Ottawa

Edit - not to mention, Ottawa is looking to add a top-4 guy not swap them

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Now I don't mean to come off as harsh or rude or anything, but with a top 3 group of Chabot, Sanderson, and Zub based on how you guys are talking about him, you should be able to make a good defensive core with role players. Guys like Carl Gunnarsson that don't have much upside, but do the small things and can be slotted next to the more talented guy and do a good job.

Why is the Sens defensive core so bad? Or is it really not that bad and coaching is an issue? Are the the other 3 just complete dogshit? What type of guys do you think you should target to fix the group? Just curious on what you guys think of the situation. Even Brannstrom was talked about positively in here, so that's 4 solid guys?

And for the record, I don't want to trade Parayko, our defense will just leak goals and chances without him. I'd rather move Krug or Faulk, but it sounds like Faulk is the one we are definitely keeping.

Last edited:

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
If there’s really anything to be done here I’d imagine Zaitsev, a couple of picks and one of Thomson/JBD is gonna have to be coming to the Blues for Parayko.

Zaitsev at least can play some NHL minutes. We’d essentially need to be compensated for the dump but he can at least suck while we suck.

I have no understanding of JBD or Thomson so I’m not going to speculate one way or another. But I’d venture to guess something like Zaitsev + top 10 prot 1st + 2nd + Thomson/JBD could tempt the Blues to make something happen.

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Now I don't mean to come off as harsh or rude or anything, but with a top 3 group of Chabot, Sanderson, and Zub based on how you guys are talking about him, you should be able to make a good defensive core with role players. Guys like Carl Gunnarsson that don't have much upside, but do the small things and can be slotted next to the more talented guy and do a good job.

Why is the Sens defensive core so bad? Or is it really not that bad and coaching is an issue? Are the the other 3 just complete dogshit? What type of guys do you think you should target to fix the group? Just curious on what you guys think of the situation.

And for the record, I don't want to trade Parayko, our defense will just leak goals and chances without him. I'd rather move Krug or Faulk.

I think the Sens fan base is kind of split between these two answers honestly. I probably fall more in line with coaching/systems being an issue, but the Sens have also rolled out hilariously bad 3-6 defencemen going on like a decade now. Zaitsev/Hamonic/Holden aren't good enough and typically drag down whatever pairing they play on. Brannstrom has shown flashes, but has a hard time defending bigger bodies in his own end and can't carry his own pairing (especially when anchored with one of the other 3 named).

It also doesn't help that Chabot has stagnated/taken a step back this season, likely because he's asked to play some of the highest minutes in the league with little to no support. He can still create offence and move the puck in transition with the best of them but the brain farts in his own end have become more prevalent.

Artem Zub has also only played 27 games this season and I kind of wonder if the team would have figured it out sooner had he been healthy. His play has been inconsistent at times this season as well, largely based on the fact he's been in and out of the lineup. Now Sanderson has been hurt for a few games as well, so getting all 3 big guys in the lineup at the same time has been an issue.

Lastly, it could be a systems thing again, but a lot of the Sens forwards are real bad defensively and make life harder on the defencemen. Some of the younger guys like Stutzle and Tkachuk make the odd mental error or try to do too much, while guys like Batherson and (at times) DeBrincat haven't been interested in putting in much of a defensive effort.

I don't think anyone has an issue with Parayko per say, but a chunk of the fan base don't trust Dorion as far as they can throw him and think he's a lame duck trying to save his job. When you couple that with the fact he'd be trading for an (almost 30 year old) with ~45+ million left on his deal and it's no wonder there's some trepidation.

For what it's worth, I'd move some combination of Zaitsev + Protected 1st + Bernard-Docker/Thomson/Jarventie/Ostapchuk/Boucher/Sokolov/ect for him so personally I'm not overly concerned. Stylistically he'd exactly what the team has been looking for for a very long time.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think the Sens fan base is kind of split between these two answers honestly. I probably fall more in line with coaching/systems being an issue, but the Sens have also rolled out hilariously bad 3-6 defencemen going on like a decade now. Zaitsev/Hamonic/Holden aren't good enough and typically drag down whatever pairing they play on. Brannstrom has shown flashes, but has a hard time defending bigger bodies in his own end and can't carry his own pairing (especially when anchored with one of the other 3 named).

It also doesn't help that Chabot has stagnated/taken a step back this season, likely because he's asked to play some of the highest minutes in the league with little to no support. He can still create offence and move the puck in transition with the best of them but the brain farts in his own end have become more prevalent.

Artem Zub has also only played 27 games this season and I kind of wonder if the team would have figured it out sooner had he been healthy. His play has been inconsistent at times this season as well, largely based on the fact he's been in and out of the lineup. Now Sanderson has been hurt for a few games as well, so getting all 3 big guys in the lineup at the same time has been an issue.

Lastly, it could be a systems thing again, but a lot of the Sens forwards are real bad defensively and make life harder on the defencemen. Some of the younger guys like Stutzle and Tkachuk make the odd mental error or try to do too much, while guys like Batherson and (at times) DeBrincat haven't been interested in putting in much of a defensive effort.

I don't think anyone has an issue with Parayko per say, but a chunk of the fan base don't trust Dorion as far as they can throw him and think he's a lame duck trying to save his job. When you couple that with the fact he'd be trading for an (almost 30 year old) with ~45+ million left on his deal and it's no wonder there's some trepidation.

For what it's worth, I'd move some combination of Zaitsev + Protected 1st + Bernard-Docker/Thomson/Jarventie/Ostapchuk/Boucher/Sokolov/ect for him so personally I'm not overly concerned. Stylistically he'd exactly what the team has been looking for for a very long time.
Thanks. And it's definitely fair that Chabot/Sanderson/Zub have only played a limited amount of games together, with Sanderson being a rookie and Zub being hurt, but moving forward, that should be a pretty solid top 3.

And coaching and defensive play of the forwards is also a huge part to overall team defense, that's part of the reason we are so bad at times this year.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
When you imply you've "been paying attention to Parayko the last couple of years" (or at least more than Bondra), does this 'attention' extend beyond relatively basic stats?
Honestly beyond jfresh and doms stats the only thing I go by is what blues fans say on thier board. I find when we move to the trade board all faults of a player you want to rid yourself of mysteriously disappear.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Honestly beyond jfresh and doms stats the only thing I go by is what blues fans say on thier board. I find when we move to the trade board all faults of a player you want to rid yourself of mysteriously disappear.
It depends on who you ask. Because of the role the coaches put Parayko in, being the only defenseman trusted to play the heavy defensive minutes, fans will see him make mistakes more often because he's in those situations way more often than others. When looking at his per 60 numbers and relative numbers, he's still very strong defensively and easily our best defensive defenseman, but some fans act like he's a dumpster fire.

Reactions: Blueston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad