Seravalli: Senators interested in Parayko

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
parayko should not be moved at these prices. Krug is who should be the one moved even if we just get a mid round pick back over a decent return for parayko.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Idk if Mayfield could replace Parayko. Especially on a team with a large lack of strong defensive players.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I wouldn’t do it for this years first… Parayko isn’t the player he once was. There is a reason that St. Louis is so eager to move on from him.

He is damaged goods. Would be a mistake to move a top-15 first for him.

Never said I’d do it. Just relaying what the team would do

What if the ask is the package above plus a 2024 2nd rounder?
Yes because the Sens would value Klevin more than that 2nd so they would do the JBD deal and a 2nd for sure

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It'd be an interesting move from a Sens perspective. Another one of those, "trying to push the young core over the hump" type moves. Trying to go from "team with potential" to "team that wins games". There seems to be a clear desire to capitalize on what they have assembled, sooner rather than later. Also makes sense in respect to an impending sale. You want your shiny new toy to perform well and make a splash. Immediately drive up that franchise value.

That Parayko contract is definitely going to be regrettable long before it's over...but i think you're still getting a lot of really good years out of a guy who would be an absolutely perfect fit for what Ottawa need. Especially if Zub walks.

The contract has to impact the value though. Which makes it a tough trade to satisfy the Blues, while accounting for the fact it's going to become a boat anchor deal down the line. GMs make these sort of moves all the time though. They don't have to care that far down the road...that's probably the next guy's problem to deal with. :laugh:

Bigger problem is obviously Parayko's NTC situation. Can you win him over to the idea of joining a young "up and coming team" that just false-started this season? The Sens are clearly a franchise that has changed timbre pretty dramatically since Melnyk departed. They look a lot more serious about actually being competitive. Will that have filtered down to a player like Parayko? Will his agent vouch for it?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
It'd be an interesting move from a Sens perspective. Another one of those, "trying to push the young core over the hump" type moves. Trying to go from "team with potential" to "team that wins games". There seems to be a clear desire to capitalize on what they have assembled, sooner rather than later. Also makes sense in respect to an impending sale. You want your shiny new toy to perform well and make a splash. Immediately drive up that franchise value.

That Parayko contract is definitely going to be regrettable long before it's over...but i think you're still getting a lot of really good years out of a guy who would be an absolutely perfect fit for what Ottawa need. Especially if Zub walks.

The contract has to impact the value though. Which makes it a tough trade to satisfy the Blues, while accounting for the fact it's going to become a boat anchor deal down the line. GMs make these sort of moves all the time though. They don't have to care that far down the road...that's probably the next guy's problem to deal with. :laugh:

Bigger problem is obviously Parayko's NTC situation. Can you win him over to the idea of joining a young "up and coming team" that just false-started this season? The Sens are clearly a franchise that has changed timbre pretty dramatically since Melnyk departed. They look a lot more serious about actually being competitive. Will that have filtered down to a player like Parayko? Will his agent vouch for it?

If Zub walks? In 2027?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Brannstrom has re-invented himself as a two-way D. Has been very solid defensively this year and is trusted to PK.

Offensively he's been disappointing but I don't think I've seen a player with worse luck in terms of having players not finish on his passes and getting robbed/hitting the post constantly.

He's been a bright spot on a largely disappointing Sens team.
To be a two-way D you actually have to put up points though.

Reactions: NB613 and DJB

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
8 points in 51 games is hardly unreal. He is inching closer to bust/warm body status than being the key piece of a deal.
If you read my other post. Hes playing 3rd line minutes and not on the pp because hes stuck behind chabot and sanderson. Think he has a lot of untapped potential and would probably have much better numbers if he was given the chance

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If Zub walks? In 2027?

Whoa. What? That extension totally bypassed me completely somehow. Wow. :laugh: Must've been deep into the holidays. I kinda tuned out of hockey around then. More than i realized i guess.

So nix that then.

That makes a Parayko deal a lot less of a big deal. Though at that price for Zub, you can still afford Parayko for a while anyway.

Reactions: PoutineSp00nZ

Grinner

May 31, 2022
It's going to be tough to do for Ottawa unless they can dump both Joseph and Zaitsev. But... seeing as St.Louis is also apparently targeting Meier...

To Ottawa: Colton Parayko
To St. Louis: Timo Meier
To San Jose: Mathieu Joseph + Nikita Zaitsev + Jake Neighbours + Jacob Bernard-Docker + 1st 2023 (from STL via TOR) + 2nd 2023 (from OTT) + 2nd 2024 (from OTT via WSH)

Ottawa gets Parayko for JBD, two 2nds and the ability to dump Joseph + Zaitsev
St.Louis gets Parayko off the books and gets Meier for Neighbours + 1st
San Jose gets a young roster player in Neighbours, a good prospect in JBD, a 1st, two 2nds and two warm bodies for next year
No thanks from this Sharks fan. Oof!

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The GM discussions are probably along the lines of "if you drafted a Parayko quality player with the 10th overall pick, would you feel you made a good pick? If so, how about fast forwarding through all the development so it's timed well with the core you have now?"

In any event as a Blues fan that's the asset I think the team must have if Parayko is going to Ottawa.

No the question that should be asked is "how much in assets would you be willing to pay for the right to sign Parayko for 6.5M per season for 7 more years?"

The answer to that question should absolutely not be the Sens 2023 1st.

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
Absolutely not a 1st and Jake neighbors and slightly more would get us timo and we lose parayko for nothing. Nope

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
Let's be very clear. If parayko is getting traded. A 1st 2023 a roster player and a prospect are coming back.

Edm fans where ok with 1st 2023, bouchard and petrov or Bourgault.

So if that isn't what you are thinking then you are not getting parayko. Try to be serious here

• Haha
Reactions: NB613

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
No the question that should be asked is "how much in assets would you be willing to pay for the right to sign Parayko for 6.5M per season for 7 more years?"

The answer to that question should absolutely not be the Sens 2023 1st.
I'd say it's because of the contract that this is only a move made by a team that sees Parayko as a core piece for 7 years.

So they've already valued him as a core piece as a premise of the discussions even happening.

I am not telling you not to value that first more. I'm saying from a Blues perspective I value Parayko and his contract enough that I wouldn't move him without that piece coming back. Could very easily be a bridge too far for both sides, happens all the time.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Someone post the list of NHL Dmen that Dorion has brought in under his tenure.

Its f***ing atrocious.
1677049156992.png

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
I'd say it's because of the contract that this is only a move made by a team that sees Parayko as a core piece for 7 years.

So they've already valued him as a core piece as a premise of the discussions even happening.

I am not telling you not to value that first more. I'm saying from a Blues perspective I value Parayko and his contract enough that I wouldn't move him without that piece coming back. Could very easily be a bridge too far for both sides, happens all the time.
Everyone thinks 6.5 is bad when nurse makes 10 lol. Parayko at 6.5 is a solid contract

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Let's be very clear. If parayko is getting traded. A 1st 2023 a roster player and a prospect are coming back.

Edm fans where ok with 1st 2023, bouchard and petrov or Bourgault.

So if that isn't what you are thinking then you are not getting parayko. Try to be serious here

As a Sens fan I'll agree with you that is a deal that we won't be topping. Take it and run imo.

I like CP but not sure he's the guy I would be pushing all in for. So to speak. The Oilers are more desperate, and it probably a good fit with him being close to his home.

I like Weager more to be honest if the Sens are targeting a long term contract on D.

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
As a Sens fan I'll agree with you that is a deal that we won't be topping. Take it and run imo.

I like CP but not sure he's the guy I would be pushing all in for. So to speak. The Oilers are more desperate, and it probably a good fit with him being close to his home.

I like Weager more to be honest if the Sens are targeting a long term contract on D.
Sounds good. Just because he is available doesn't mean he is cheap.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Someone post the list of NHL Dmen that Dorion has brought in under his tenure.

Its f***ing atrocious.

Your question should have been "can someone post the list of defensemen Dorion acquired to fill roster holes during the rebuild?"

I get that everyone thinks it's fun to hate on this guy but that list probably looks the same no matter who was at the helm. He acquired guys to fill in holes. That's it.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Your question should have been "can someone post the list of defensemen Dorion acquired to fill roster holes during the rebuild?"

I get that everyone thinks it's fun to hate on this guy but that list probably looks the same no matter who was at the helm. He acquired guys to fill in holes. That's it.
100%. Don’t shoot the messenger. I just googled the list and posted it :)

Some of those players actually had some decent season. DeMelo was good. Holden was great last year. Harmonic isn’t what he used to be big has been ok, etc.

Plus Zub was a home run.

Reactions: Neiler

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
No SB’s in his contract.
I can see the interest considering his AAV.

Front loaded deal
A buyout of the final two years is very decent

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Whoa. What? That extension totally bypassed me completely somehow. Wow. :laugh: Must've been deep into the holidays. I kinda tuned out of hockey around then. More than i realized i guess.

So nix that then.

That makes a Parayko deal a lot less of a big deal. Though at that price for Zub, you can still afford Parayko for a while anyway.
Hard to miss all the contracts. I probably wouldn't know unless I was a sens fan haha.

It's a scary long contract for sure. Parayko would be a big upgrade, but damn it woukd he surprising if he is still worth that salary in 3 or 4 years never mind 6 or 7

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Brannstrom has re-invented himself as a two-way D. Has been very solid defensively this year and is trusted to PK.

Offensively he's been disappointing but I don't think I've seen a player with worse luck in terms of having players not finish on his passes and getting robbed/hitting the post constantly.

He's been a bright spot on a largely disappointing Sens team.

This is simply not true.

He’s has flashes and we saw it in pre season and early on but he’s still the same player he’s always been for us.

He gets caved in his own zone, can’t defend and offensively he does nothing.

Hes simply not good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad