Not open for further replies.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
1677080532271.png

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
It depends on who you ask. Because of the role the coaches put Parayko in, being the only defenseman trusted to play the heavy defensive minutes, fans will see him make mistakes more often because he's in those situations way more often than others. When looking at his per 60 numbers and relative numbers, he's still very strong defensively and easily our best defensive defenseman, but some fans act like he's a dumpster fire.
So fans harp on his defense, Jfresh says hes still good defensively, Dom says hes about average. He has back issues and hes 30. Why exactly would he hold value at over 6 million from 30-37. It feels like Zaitsev all over again who had a couple of good years in Ottawa and is now a boat anchor.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
So fans harp on his defense, Jfresh says hes still good defensively, Dom says hes about average. He has back issues and hes 30. Why exactly would he hold value at over 6 million from 30-37. It feels like Zaitsev all over again who had a couple of good years in Ottawa and is now a boat anchor.
I wouldn't disagree with term or age or even concern about the back injury he had previously, my post had nothing to do with those issues. Zaitsev was never to the level of Parayko though, and Parayko is still at Parayko level, that's my point, fans can have an overly biased opinion, either postively or negatively.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
I wouldn't disagree with term or age or even concern about the back injury he had previously, my post had nothing to do with those issues. Zaitsev was never to the level of Parayko though, and Parayko is still at Parayko level, that's my point, fans can have an overly biased opinion, either postively or negatively.
For sure Ceci for example was a whipping boy in Ottawa even when he was playing statistically OK. Hes gone on to be fine for a few other teams. I just also find that fans of other teams only remember players when they were at their best. No Sens fan has been actively watching the blues this year (and vise versa Im sure) so there are a bunch of fans that are ready to give up the farm thinking they are getting Parayko from 3 years ago.

Reactions: SweSensFan

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Now I don't mean to come off as harsh or rude or anything, but with a top 3 group of Chabot, Sanderson, and Zub based on how you guys are talking about him, you should be able to make a good defensive core with role players. Guys like Carl Gunnarsson that don't have much upside, but do the small things and can be slotted next to the more talented guy and do a good job.

Why is the Sens defensive core so bad? Or is it really not that bad and coaching is an issue? Are the the other 3 just complete dogshit? What type of guys do you think you should target to fix the group? Just curious on what you guys think of the situation. Even Brannstrom was talked about positively in here, so that's 4 solid guys?

And for the record, I don't want to trade Parayko, our defense will just leak goals and chances without him. I'd rather move Krug or Faulk, but it sounds like Faulk is the one we are definitely keeping.

Great question. It is our defensive structure and the lack of defensive teachings that the current coaching staff implements.

Additionally, they overuse Chabot so he gets tired and still makes the same dumb mistakes he has made in his rookie seasons.
Sanderson is still a rookie but he has a 7th dman on his pairing to carry and sometimes brings him down to his level.
Zub has had some injuries this year.
Branny, while improved can sometimes be very inconsistent, and is only a 3rd pairing guy at this point.

To answer your question, its coaching and how terrible our forwards are helping out the dmen, and the lack of structure has everyone running around like headless chickens regardless the quality of the player.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
For sure Ceci for example was a whipping boy in Ottawa even when he was playing statistically OK. Hes gone on to be fine for a few other teams. I just also find that fans of other teams only remember players when they were at their best. No Sens fan has been actively watching the blues this year (and vise versa Im sure) so there are a bunch of fans that are ready to give up the farm thinking they are getting Parayko from 3 years ago.
He still is Parayko from 3 years ago, that's what I'm saying. The issue with any team acquiring Parayko is the term, as no one will age well with that term.

Reactions: Blueston
Dec 15, 2002
It depends on who you ask. Because of the role the coaches put Parayko in, being the only defenseman trusted to play the heavy defensive minutes, fans will see him make mistakes more often because he's in those situations way more often than others. When looking at his per 60 numbers and relative numbers, he's still very strong defensively and easily our best defensive defenseman, but some fans act like he's a dumpster fire.
If Parayko was as elite defensively as you want to claim, it would make zero sense to trade him right now. Or maybe Armstrong is so thrilled with his defensive prowess this year and last year and all the years before that, he feels guilty that he's hoarding all of it and wants someone else to have a chance to experience and benefit from Parayko's all-universe defensive play [which career-to-date, has still yet to garner him one vote for Norris].

I'm going to go with "he sucks right now, and the coaching staff is still throwing him out there hoping he'll finally get it instead of sacrificing all offense by putting Faulk there instead and having Parayko be a near black hole, and anyone else will be even worse" which speaks to the poor condition of the Blues defense as a whole. Why someone would deal prime assets for that kind of player, who's under contract for another 7 years, with potential back issues that likely won't get any better as he gets older, I don't get. Why someone would do that for a guy who by most optimistic views slots as a 3/4 (more like a 4) defenseman, I really don't get.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If Parayko was as elite defensively as you want to claim, it would make zero sense to trade him right now. Or maybe Armstrong is so thrilled with his defensive prowess this year and last year and all the years before that, he feels guilty that he's hoarding all of it and wants someone else to have a chance to experience and benefit from Parayko's all-universe defensive play [which career-to-date, has still yet to garner him one vote for Norris].

I'm going to go with "he sucks right now, and the coaching staff is still throwing him out there hoping he'll finally get it instead of sacrificing all offense by putting Faulk there instead and having Parayko be a near black hole, and anyone else will be even worse" which speaks to the poor condition of the Blues defense as a whole. Why someone would deal prime assets for that kind of player, who's under contract for another 7 years, with potential back issues that likely won't get any better as he gets older, I don't get. Why someone would do that for a guy who by most optimistic views slots as a 3/4 (more like a 4) defenseman, I really don't get.
Not to be personal, but you are one of the exact posters I was alluding to, Parayko sucks because he makes mistakes in the defensive end because he's the only defenseman trusted to handle those minutes. I fear, you'll get to see what actual shit defending looks like relatively soon.

The reason Parayko gets those minutes is because he gives up the least amount of chances per 60, and Krug/Faulk give up the most. And then factor in how Parayko gets some of the hardest usage in the league, and Krug/Faulk get cupcake minutes, and it's just pathetic. Parayko gets criticized because the other defenders on the team can't defend worth shit.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Why did the Blues sign him to a long term deal, and then want to move him right away.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Not to be personal, but you are one of the exact posters I was alluding to, Parayko sucks because he makes mistakes in the defensive end because he's the only defenseman trusted to handle those minutes. I fear, you'll get to see what actual shit defending looks like relatively soon.

The reason Parayko gets those minutes is because he gives up the least amount of chances per 60, and Krug/Faulk give up the most. And then factor in how Parayko gets some of the hardest usage in the league, and Krug/Faulk get cupcake minutes, and it's just pathetic. Parayko gets criticized because the other defenders on the team can't defend worth shit.
In general this is correct, but let's not act like parayko has been consistently that type of player these last couple years, especially when u add in his mishandled pucks & turnovers that seem to be more and more precedent then ever before. I do think you fix that by either getting him a better puck moving partner or also making the greenlight we have for him a little more yellow, defer to his partner more and stop trying to be something he isn't. His transitional puck play and end to end rushes that result in nothing are what infuriate me most with colt, If he would just defer to Leddy more often and let leddy do what he does best which is transport the puck into the OZ (maintaining possesion) I think paraykos analytics will be closer to what the eye test tells us, which is that he's an absolute horse on the defensive side of the puck.... and Can make simple outlets, but he's no offensive driver

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
In general this is correct, but let's not act like parayko has been consistently that type of player these last couple years, especially when u add in his mishandled pucks & turnovers that seem to be more and more precedent then ever before. I do think you fix that by either getting him a better puck moving partner or also making the greenlight we have for him a little more yellow, defer to his partner more and stop trying to be something he isn't. His transitional puck play and end to end rushes that result in nothing are what infuriate me most with colt, If he would just defer to Leddy more often and let leddy do what he does best which is transport the puck into the OZ (maintaining possesion) I think paraykos analytics will be closer to what the eye test tells us, which is that he's an absolute horse on the defensive side of the puck.
Yeah, if we want to discuss the reasons for why Parayko appears to be worse, that's a fine discussion.

Main thing is, when Bouwmeester was forced to retire, Parayko hasn't had a partner capable of playing the minutes that the Parayko pair is forced to play. Scandella is good at times defensively, but has skating and puck moving issues. Mikkola was a worse version of Scandella. Leddy is a big help to the transition game, but is generally average at everything else, so I think he's been the best option of the bunch, but someone you don't really want on the shutdown pair.

Parayko's issues, and these have always been his issues, is lack of offensive production, but he's good enough with the puck to get 30-35 points. And while he's decent with the puck and can skate with it, you definitely want a partner that is either just as good with the puck or better. That's why Bouwmeester and Leddy are more natural fits than Scandella or Mikkola.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad