Confirmed with Link: Senators acquire Coburn, Paquette, 2nd round pick from TB

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
To me this very much looks like a team to tank with and to not slaughter the youngsters. Which I understand. But then what’s next year? When stepan and coburn and gudbransson and brown are gone? Are we going to get more vets to replace them.

sooner or later Dorion is going to have to shit or get off the pot with all these young players.

The way I see it now this year is sunk. Next year he absolutely has to be play some youngsters who will be new. Another tank. In which hopefully we hit Wright or Lambert. After that nature will run its course and our youngsters will no longer be youngsters.

That's exactly when the young players, who have now tasted some NHL action start to cement roster spots.

All the vets will be gone, some presumably by the deadline and instead of forcing the youth in, you've eased them in and now they're more or less ready.

This is all my opinion of course, but i think it holds water.

Also, you're funny if you think Dorion will let j brown go after being legitimately excited to acquire him. Expect him for a few years, for better or worse.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
It’s good we got rid of those contracts and have a 2nd coming back but let’s not get carried away here, coburn will be 36 yrs old and paquette good for 5-10 goals.

Coming from a cup winning team though they should be good locker room adds.

It’s a good trade overall of course. Roster will be interesting.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
This isn't some asset management move. Adding the team toughness is because it is the identity the team is going for and they want to be successful in this shortened playoff style season. The Sens are going to beat the living shit out of teams this season.
These guys are almost all ufas at the end of this season. Unless we surprise somehow, I bet every one of them gets flipped at the deadline.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Senschirp was saying there is some belief that Logan Brown has asked for a trade

Are we putting him a package for Laine or what

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Senschirp was saying there is some belief that Logan Brown has asked for a trade

Are we putting him a package for Laine or what
Not really what he said (I don’t think he has great sources now anyway)

“With that said, there’s some talk out that things may be reaching a breaking point with Logan Brown. And that was the case before the Derek Stepan trade. While it’s unclear if a trade request was already made, some people close to the team believe that may be the direction things are headed in. It’s a shame if it comes to that. It’s hard to believe Logan Brown would get a better opportunity than he still appears to have here in Ottawa. Here’s hoping cooler heads prevail and he comes into Camp and earns a spot on the team.”

I definitely can see Logan traded before the year is over. I think he’ll start in the nhl lineup to prove his worth

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Wtf are you talking about. You really gotta stop telling people how they feel or think. Focus on your own arguments.

This was a really good trade for the sens, it's exactly what they should be doing.

For all the people going on about how Ottawa did Tampa a favor have you even looked at how much cap relief the sens gave them? It's under 2 million. Stop complaining.

Before assuming maybe we just let training camp play out.

Come on bert, tell me you do not see the irony in this post.

You are doing exactly what you told me not to do....and I actually agree with you because I literally said the same thing you did, first. Not sure why you felt the need to call me out on it though.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
You guys are going to love Paquette. He’s everything you want in a fourth line grinder/pest: strong defensively and on the PK, skates well, will hit anything that moves, will stand up for his teammates, and even has a little scoring pop when healthy (unfortunately thanks to his playing style he’s spent most of his career either out with injuries or playing through them at far less than 100%.) He’ll work hard, sacrifice his body for his team, and never complain. A great guy to have as an example to your young players.

Coburn, on the other hand, is on his last legs. He can still give you some quality play with limited usage, but even on the bottom pairing you’d rather have him sheltered than doing the sheltering and ideally you’d prefer him as your 7D. Good guy and a great team player but I’ll be surprised if his career lasts beyond this season.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I definitely can see Logan traded before the year is over. I think he’ll start in the nhl lineup to prove his worth

That's a bit of a contradiction. If he's proving his worth...why trade him?

Brown's situation is really quite simple: he's either prepared himself to be a professional athlete and can prove he is one or he hasn't prepared himself

I don't think there's a scenario where he's done the work and proven himself to be an NHLer and then gets traded.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
This is a good trade. Paquette is really solid 3rd or 4th liner. Coburn is pretty useless at this point but he's gone after this year.

I don't like how crowded it's getting and how many spots are likely getting taken by vets with no future. But that's the culmination of all these moves. This move in itself is really nice. I hope Dorion is a really active seller at the TDL. We need to start getting NHL seasoning for the prospects who will help us long term.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Coburn, on the other hand, is on his last legs. He can still give you some quality play with limited usage, but even on the bottom pairing you’d rather have him sheltered than doing the sheltering and ideally you’d prefer him as your 7D. Good guy and a great team player but I’ll be surprised if his career lasts beyond this season.

Well we need someone to replace Ron Hainsey. ;)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
For all the people going on about how Ottawa did Tampa a favor have you even looked at how much cap relief the sens gave them? It's under 2 million. Stop complaining. Tampa has to LTIR Kucherov this year. They aren't in some magical great position and still have to make another deal to get cap compliant.

I don't care about this at all.

First, Tampa Bay isn't even in our division this year.

Secondly, there are 30 other GMs out there and someone was going to buckle sooner or later. We might as well strike first. If it wasn't Dorion, we'd all be griping about GM X helping Tampa Bay out.

Well, one might as well in a year where we aren't competing with them and aren't competing for the Cup.

I'm not overwhelmed by the return and I'm a bit confused as to what stage of our rebuild we're at now, when contemplated with the Stepan trade, but I suppose either Melnyk doesn't want to be embarrassed this year in the Canadian owner's club or Dorion genuinely thinks that this team can (a) be competitive (?) or (b) needs to surround his shrinking complement of young players on the roster with someone to learn from.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Mittelstadt
Yeah. He’s alright.
I think Logan brown probably turns out to be the better player.

I can’t see anything about him requesting a trade though. Odd timing his dad releasing a video of him and all his teammates playing pick up

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Yeah. He’s alright.
I think Logan brown probably turns out to be the better player.

I can’t see anything about him requesting a trade though. Odd timing his dad releasing a video of him and all his teammates playing pick up

I'm higher on L.Brown as well. Could see it though, kinda like the Turris for Rundblad swap years back.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
I still see L.Brown as a 60 points player in the NHL. he is only 22 years old. Big body like him take more time but he's really talented.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Interesting trade, it gives Tampa a $3 mil break & Ottawa gets two LTIR players off their books. So two guys who can play in Ottawa for two guys who can't play for Tampa, plus a 2nd rder in 2022 to add to Ottawa's stock pile of picks, what's not to like about this deal in a yr that doesn't really matter? And they now have nine guys they can move leading up to the trade deadline to acquire more picks/prospects while protecting their young guys at the same time. Obviously they won't be able to trade them all but a number of them are still good players & playoff vets who are still worth something to a contending team.

Now how does this help this team this yr? It doesn't, these guys aren't going to make much difference except maybe in the penalty minutes department & more importantly Ottawa won't be pushed around this yr. I can't remember another yr when so many teams acquired so many of these tough guys all around the same time, what do they expect is going to happen this yr? Montreal just signed Perry. What happened to no more fighting in hockey & of all the yrs to return to it seems kind of crazy.

Let's look at potential lineups:

Tkachuk - Stepan (UFA) - Dadonov
Galchenyuk (UFA) - Tierny - C. Brown
Anisimov (UFA) - White - Batherson
Paquette (UFA) - Paul - Watson

Chabot - Gudbranson (UFA)
Wolanin - Zaitsev
Coburn (UFA) - J. Brown/Reilly (UFA)

Murray - Hogberg/Daccord

Taxi Squad: Peca (UFA), Haley (UFA), Shaw

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Interesting trade, it gives Tampa a $3 mil break & Ottawa gets two LTIR players off their books. So two guys who can play in Ottawa for two guys who can't play for Tampa, plus a 2nd rder in 2022 to add to Ottawa's stock pile of picks, what's not to like about this deal in a yr that doesn't really matter? And they now have nine guys they can move leading up to the trade deadline to acquire more picks/prospects while protecting their young guys at the same time. Obviously they won't be able to trade them all but a number of them are still good players & playoff vets who are still worth something to a contending team.

Now how does this help this team this yr? It doesn't, these guys aren't going to make much difference except maybe in the penalty minutes department & more importantly Ottawa won't be pushed around this yr. I can't remember another yr when so many teams acquired so many of these tough guys all around the same time, what do they expect is going to happen this yr? Montreal just signed Perry. What happened to no more fighting in hockey & of all the yrs to return to it seems kind of crazy.

Let's look at potential lineups:

Tkachuk - Stepan (UFA) - Dadonov
Galchenyuk (UFA) - Tierny - C. Brown
Anisimov (UFA) - White - Batherson
Paquette (UFA) - Paul - Watson

Chabot - Gudbranson (UFA)
Wolanin - Zaitsev
Coburn (UFA) - J. Brown/Reilly (UFA)

Murray - Hogberg/Daccord

Taxi Squad: Peca (UFA), Haley (UFA), Shaw

Wheres Timmy?

Reactions: Matsens15