Confirmed with Link: Senators acquire Coburn, Paquette, 2nd round pick from TB

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think Steutzle is going to be a great player, sending him back for this unusual season is not that big a deal for an 18 yr old. Given what PD has said it seems they want him to stay, but what's the point of signing & trading for all these vets if the idea is to play this young guy? Maybe he plays in the AHL instead, but we'll see, it just doesn't seem to make sense to keep him here in this shortened season where the team isn't going anywhere & it could be a fight filled season. Why risk him getting hurt? Let him go back & try to dominate as an 18 yr old in Germany, he'll be back for the start of next season soon enough.

I agree that Stutzle should either play in Europe or the AHL next season after the 6 games. He is too young and not ready yet for NHL competition.

Reactions: aragorn

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I hope the Senators retain L.Brown; however, if a trade occurs, I hope they focus on acquiring high potential prospects or picks rather than old, ageing, vets seeking retirement contracts.

Logan has had ample opportunity to work his way onto the roster but failed to do so. Injuries have played a part in that but he has not impressed in training camps.

Ample seems like a big word for the reality of what happened. Logan was always a long term project, being a 6'6 giant (takes longer to "grow" into your body). He was 21 y/o the last time he played a competitive game and only has 81 AHL Games under his belt, in 2 pro seasons with a few injuries too

Brown is kinda confounded with a 23-24 y/o who still hasn't cracked a roster. Of course, if DJ Dorion keeps bringing "safe" players, it will be hard for a guy like Brown to do it. He'd have to be very productive despite limited opportunity. Fingers crossed, he pretty much will have to be on fire or he'll end up in another organization very soon.

Brady Tkachuk is the only guy Dorion has drafted that has been a regular with the team. 2020 was his 5th draft as a GM. Team has been bottom-2 team the last 3 years. Thank God Sharks totally bombed their season so Dorion will be able to say he produced 2 NHLers in 5 years.

If Dorion got a first round pick and no players from Tampa, I would call it a very good trade. But what he got is not going to make this team better in 2 or 3 years.

But how would that ever happen? No team is going to give another team a 1st round pick for no reason.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Brady Tkachuk is the only guy Dorion has drafted that has been a regular with the team. 2020 was his 5th draft as a GM. Team has been bottom-2 team the last 3 years. Thank God Sharks totally bombed their season so Dorion will be able to say he produced 2 NHLers in 5 years.

I think what you're getting stuck on is the assumption that all these new acquisitions are going to be regulars on the team from day one until the end of the year. Yes, they all have one-way contracts and for a team at a different point in their evolution that would be the case.

I don't think that's going to be their plan. None of them have enormous contracts so it won't really be that costly to have them sit in the pressbox for a few games while they rotate the prospects through the lineup. Lots of depth to protect the kids and give them opportunities for success. The ones that grab it will probably stay in the lineup.

It sounds un-Melynk-like but it won't cost that much. They may even lose one of these guys to waivers if a prospect catches on (to the wails of the asset mgmt crowd). We'll see, but my prediction is that this is the alternative to throwing all the prospects in at once and maybe getting crushed.

There's no way all these new guys will play the entire season at the expense of the prospects, which is what I think is getting you down.

Reactions: JD1

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
If someone can put the link of the article in le droit about Paquette under the shock to be trade to Ottawa. I try to read but block me because I read all my free article. Thanks

Pronto

Mar 24, 2015
Gatineau
If someone can put the link of the article in le droit about Paquette under the shock to be trade to Ottawa. I try to read but block me because I read all my free article. Thanks
Le vol de Paquette en direction de la capitale nationale ayant été Pejorative Sluré, Le Droit a pu le joindre à l’aéroport pendant qu’il était à la porte d’embarquement, et la déception était palpable dans sa voix à l’autre bout du fil.
« Je savais qu’il y avait une possibilité au début de l’été, pas mal de monde disait que je pourrais me faire échanger. Ce n’est pas tant un choc, mais en même temps, le camp commençait bientôt et comme nous étions corrects avec le cap (plafond salarial), ça a été vraiment une surprise. Mais en même temps, je m’y attendais un peu », a laissé entendre le Gaspésien d’origine.
« Ça va être différent, mais l’équipe est très prometteuse. Il y a de très bons jeunes. J’ai gagné ma coupe, je suis content et je m’en vais là-bas pour remplir un rôle de vétéran, je suis content de ça aussi »
— Cédric Paquette
Acquis avec le défenseur Braydon Coburn et un choix de deuxième ronde contre le gardien Anders Nilsson et l’attaquant Marian Gaborik, tous deux blessés à long terme, le départ de Paquette offre quand même plus de flexibilité au Lightning sous le plafond de 81,5 M$.
Repêché en quatrième ronde par le Lightning en 2012, l’ancien du Junior de Montréal et de l’Armada de Blainville-Boisbriand a passé toute sa carrière à Tampa Bay après un séjour d’une saison dans la Ligue américaine avec le Crunch de Syracuse (avant que Benoît Groulx en soit l’entraîneur). S’il tentait de faire mauvaise fortune bon cœur en se disant qu’il se rapproche de sa résidence estivale et de sa famille, il restait déçu de quitter une excellente situation.
« J’ai vraiment aimé mes six années à Tampa, c’est plate de m’en aller de là-bas. C’est vraiment devenu ma deuxième maison. Mais ça fait partie de la business, on a paqueté nos choses et on s’en va pour recommencer ailleurs... Ça va être différent, mais l’équipe est très prometteuse. Il y a de très bons jeunes. J’ai gagné ma coupe, je suis content et je m’en vais là-bas pour remplir un rôle de vétéran, je suis content de ça aussi », affirme-t-il.
Centre du quatrième trio avec le Lightning, Paquette a connu sa meilleure saison dans la LNH il y a deux ans avec 13 buts et 4 passes en 80 matches, avant d’enchaîner avec 7 buts et 18 points en 61 parties la saison dernière.
Il se voit remplir un rôle similaire avec sa nouvelle équipe.
« Je ne sais pas, on verra ce qui va se passer, je vais devoir faire mes preuves quand je vais être rendu au camp et que je vais devoir patiner, note Paquette, qui devrait être en quarantaine pour une semaine où il devra subir plusieurs tests de dépistage à la COVID-19. On verra rendu là, mais peu importe le rôle qu’ils vont me donner, je vais l’accepter et aider l’équipe à gagner... J’ai joué un peu partout (à Tampa), mais je suis un centre naturel, j’aime ça jouer au centre, gagner des mises au jeu importantes. Je peux m’adapter cependant. »
Paquette pense que ça va être différent de jouer au Canada, surtout au cours de cette prochaine saison écourtée où les sept équipes canadiennes vont s’affronter exclusivement dans la division Nord.
« Je ne m’attendais pas à jouer contre le Canadien cette saison et là, je vais les voir 10 fois, donc ça va être spécial. On vit avec ce qu’on a en 2020 », lance-t-il, lui qui a de la famille à Montréal en plus de sa Gaspésie d’origine, alors que sa conjointe est également québécoise (de St-Tite).
À part Coburn, le vétéran défenseur de 35 ans qui s’amène avec lui, il ne connaît personne dans son nouveau vestiaire. Il a cependant beaucoup entendu parler de Thomas Chabot par son ancien coéquipier Mathieu Joseph, qui a joué avec le défenseur vedette des Sénateurs avec les SeaDogs de Saint-Jean.

Reactions: guyzeur

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Le vol de Paquette en direction de la capitale nationale ayant été Pejorative Sluré, Le Droit a pu le joindre à l’aéroport pendant qu’il était à la porte d’embarquement, et la déception était palpable dans sa voix à l’autre bout du fil.
« Je savais qu’il y avait une possibilité au début de l’été, pas mal de monde disait que je pourrais me faire échanger. Ce n’est pas tant un choc, mais en même temps, le camp commençait bientôt et comme nous étions corrects avec le cap (plafond salarial), ça a été vraiment une surprise. Mais en même temps, je m’y attendais un peu », a laissé entendre le Gaspésien d’origine.
« Ça va être différent, mais l’équipe est très prometteuse. Il y a de très bons jeunes. J’ai gagné ma coupe, je suis content et je m’en vais là-bas pour remplir un rôle de vétéran, je suis content de ça aussi »
— Cédric Paquette
Acquis avec le défenseur Braydon Coburn et un choix de deuxième ronde contre le gardien Anders Nilsson et l’attaquant Marian Gaborik, tous deux blessés à long terme, le départ de Paquette offre quand même plus de flexibilité au Lightning sous le plafond de 81,5 M$.
Repêché en quatrième ronde par le Lightning en 2012, l’ancien du Junior de Montréal et de l’Armada de Blainville-Boisbriand a passé toute sa carrière à Tampa Bay après un séjour d’une saison dans la Ligue américaine avec le Crunch de Syracuse (avant que Benoît Groulx en soit l’entraîneur). S’il tentait de faire mauvaise fortune bon cœur en se disant qu’il se rapproche de sa résidence estivale et de sa famille, il restait déçu de quitter une excellente situation.
« J’ai vraiment aimé mes six années à Tampa, c’est plate de m’en aller de là-bas. C’est vraiment devenu ma deuxième maison. Mais ça fait partie de la business, on a paqueté nos choses et on s’en va pour recommencer ailleurs... Ça va être différent, mais l’équipe est très prometteuse. Il y a de très bons jeunes. J’ai gagné ma coupe, je suis content et je m’en vais là-bas pour remplir un rôle de vétéran, je suis content de ça aussi », affirme-t-il.
Centre du quatrième trio avec le Lightning, Paquette a connu sa meilleure saison dans la LNH il y a deux ans avec 13 buts et 4 passes en 80 matches, avant d’enchaîner avec 7 buts et 18 points en 61 parties la saison dernière.
Il se voit remplir un rôle similaire avec sa nouvelle équipe.
« Je ne sais pas, on verra ce qui va se passer, je vais devoir faire mes preuves quand je vais être rendu au camp et que je vais devoir patiner, note Paquette, qui devrait être en quarantaine pour une semaine où il devra subir plusieurs tests de dépistage à la COVID-19. On verra rendu là, mais peu importe le rôle qu’ils vont me donner, je vais l’accepter et aider l’équipe à gagner... J’ai joué un peu partout (à Tampa), mais je suis un centre naturel, j’aime ça jouer au centre, gagner des mises au jeu importantes. Je peux m’adapter cependant. »
Paquette pense que ça va être différent de jouer au Canada, surtout au cours de cette prochaine saison écourtée où les sept équipes canadiennes vont s’affronter exclusivement dans la division Nord.
« Je ne m’attendais pas à jouer contre le Canadien cette saison et là, je vais les voir 10 fois, donc ça va être spécial. On vit avec ce qu’on a en 2020 », lance-t-il, lui qui a de la famille à Montréal en plus de sa Gaspésie d’origine, alors que sa conjointe est également québécoise (de St-Tite).
À part Coburn, le vétéran défenseur de 35 ans qui s’amène avec lui, il ne connaît personne dans son nouveau vestiaire. Il a cependant beaucoup entendu parler de Thomas Chabot par son ancien coéquipier Mathieu Joseph, qui a joué avec le défenseur vedette des Sénateurs avec les SeaDogs de Saint-Jean.
Thanks you very much

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
[QUOTE = "Karl Eriksson, post: 174845080, member: 52795"] Will Coburn and Paquette both start? [/ QUOTE]

I definitely think so

Coburn can still play and kill penalties for us. Paquette for sure on our 4th line

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Having time to digest and hear different opinions has given me time to warm up to what we have this year as a team.

#1 A team fullmof prospects would be disaster for their development.

#2 Having vets to teach them in those tough nights, situations or if they struggle will be more valuable then letting them try and figure it out on their own.

#3 If young players start to struggle we don't have to let them sink or swim, we done this with players in the past and does not help.

#4. Injuries and covid related problems will allow us some depth and not to get hammered.

#5. The vets are going to teach the young guys some good skills and share some valuable experience that they would never get.

#6. A chance to compete for their jobs rather than given their jobs, this is the way to bring out beast in each player.

#7. Flexibility, this gives the coach options and not to force players to play above their heads wether their vets or young players.

#8. The vets we brought in have a bit of toughness and grit, is a super quality for the young players to have specially if they want to play in the playoffs.

#9. I think it will be less pressure for young and old players on this team, a good culture and nice mix and balance.

#10 PD and DJ have nice options moving forward and hopefully we see some great progress of the younger players and a rotation of a mix of both in the line up.

Sorry for long post but I am excited to see a team that I don't have high expectations of but look for some great growth as team and players this year.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Having time to digest and hear different opinions has given me time to warm up to what we have this year as a team.

#2 Having vets to teach them in those tough nights, situations or if they struggle will be more valuable then letting them try and figure it out on their own.

#3 If young players start to struggle we don't have to let them sink or swim, we done this with players in the past and does not help.

#4. Injuries and covid related problems will allow us some depth and not to get hammered.

#5. The vets are going to teach the young guys some good skills and share some valuable experience that they would never get.

# 6. A chance to compete for their jobs rather than given their jobs, this is the way to bring out beast in each player.

# 7. Flexibility, this gives the coach options and not to force players to play above their heads wether their vets or young players.

# 8. The vets we brought in have a bit of toughness and grit, is a super quality for the young players to have specially if they want to play in the playoffs.

# 9. I think it will be less pressure for young and old players on this team, a good culture and nice mix and balance.

# 10 PD and DJ have nice options moving forward and hopefully we see some great progress of the younger players and a rotation of a mix of both in the line up.

Sorry for long post but I am excited to see a team that I don't have high expectations of but look for some great growth as team and players this year. [/ QUOTE]
Your positivity doesn't jive with the general mood of this board.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

#6. A chance to compete for their jobs rather than given their jobs, this is the way to bring out beast in each player.

#7. Flexibility, this gives the coach options and not to force players to play above their heads wether their vets or young players.

#8. The vets we brought in have a bit of toughness and grit, is a super quality for the young players to have specially if they want to play in the playoffs.

#9. I think it will be less pressure for young and old players on this team, a good culture and nice mix and balance.

#10 PD and DJ have nice options moving forward and hopefully we see some great progress of the younger players and a rotation of a mix of both in the line up.

Sorry for long post but I am excited to see a team that I don't have high expectations of but look for some great growth as team and players this year.

My concern revolves around how the rookies will be used. How many NHL games out of the 56 will Norris, Brown, Bath, Form, Brann etc get.

With the number of players we have it feels hard to see how those kids will get 25+ games and that doesn’t feel like it Is enough. I’m not sure 45G is enough.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Ample seems like a big word for the reality of what happened. Logan was always a long term project, being a 6'6 giant (takes longer to "grow" into your body). He was 21 y / o the last time he played a competitive game and only has 81 AHL Games under his belt, in 2 pro seasons with a few injuries too

Brown is kinda confounded with a 23-24 y / o who still hasn't cracked a roster. Of course, if DJ Dorion keeps bringing "safe" players, it will be hard for a guy like Brown to do it. He'd have to be very productive despite limited opportunity. Fingers crossed, he pretty much will have to be on fire or he'll end up in another organization very soon.

But how would that ever happen? No team is going to give another team a 1st round pick for no reason.

Brown show that he can play the game at an NHL pace for 15 to 20 minutes a night. If he demonstrates that, productivity will follow.

I highly doubt the team is looking at whether he can produce. They're looking at whether he can play with the needed pace of the game believing productivity follows

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I’m not sure any of our projected centers can play at NHL pace for 15-20 min a night.

I can see Brown being our best offensive Center in camp and still being sent to taxi squad or AHL.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think what you're getting stuck on is the assumption that all these new acquisitions are going to be regulars on the team from day one until the end of the year. Yes, they all have one-way contracts and for a team at a different point in their evolution that would be the case.

I don't think that's going to be their plan. None of them have enormous contracts so it won't really be that costly to have them sit in the pressbox for a few games while they rotate the prospects through the lineup. Lots of depth to protect the kids and give them opportunities for success. The ones that grab it will probably stay in the lineup.

It sounds un-Melynk-like but it won't cost that much. They may even lose one of these guys to waivers if a prospect catches on (to the wails of the asset mgmt crowd). We'll see, but my prediction is that this is the alternative to throwing all the prospects in at once and maybe getting crushed.

There's no way all these new guys will play the entire season at the expense of the prospects, which is what I think is getting you down.

Thank you for trying to help me out with this and I sure hope that I'm totally wrong and that the Senators will do non-Senators things but if you want to see a more detailed response, then I think this post does it :

Do we want one more year with a high pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad