Confirmed with Link: Senators acquire Coburn, Paquette, 2nd round pick from TB

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
its not just them though is it?

Matt Murray, Dadonov, Stutzle, Stepan etc

+ improvements by guys like Chabot, Tkachuk, Batherson etc

+ short season. if there was ever a season a team can overachieve its this one. all it could take is a matt murray hotstreak
I agree 100%, this team is much improve from last season, they will want to prove a lot of people wrong. Montreal, Vancouver, Winnipeg and Edmonton are not much better then us to be honest. In this division we have a shot at the playoffs.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Another funny part of this is how some were saying how screwed the lightning were... and then we were the ones to easily let them out of their jam lmfao.

Because the same people who trash Dorion for "helping Tampa out of their jam" would be the first to trash Dorion for not taking advantage of a team in trouble and using our cap flexibility to recuperate valuable assets...like a 2nd round pick and some free players.

But of course if another G.M were to make this same trade today---genius.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
On paper it's a good trade....but why do it? We have a lot of bodies...a bit too many, even considering the type of season ahead. This is the perfect scenario to get the kids a good number of games with little to no pressure. Seems we're just filling up all the roster spots with short term veterans who have no future with us.
I’m going to guess Coburn’s career is over, if it’s not Ottawa may just flip him for a late pick. Paquette is just another warm body to push the kids to earn roster spots, or Ottawa may even flip Paquette for a pick.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Because the same people who trash Dorion for "helping Tampa out of their jam" would be the first to trash Dorion for not taking advantage of a team in trouble and using our cap flexibility to recuperate valuable assets...like a 2nd round pick and some free players.

No GM is a genius for acquiring coburn paquette and a 2nd.

I mean by definition this deal is a net gain. Both coburn and paquette are gone after this year. I just don’t see what they give us this year.

Reactions: Cosmix

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I mean by definition this deal is a net gain. Both coburn and paquette are gone after this year. I just don’t see what they give us this year.

I get the feeling Dorion is kicking the can down the road a year.

Reactions: Icelevel

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
If they don't work out you flip them for scraps.
But I have a feeling they will be decent and stabilize the team this season.
Dorion has been impressive

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
1.Always nice to have some vets as long as they don't block the development of the prospects.

2. A lot of these vets belong on the taxi squad rather then the prospects.

3. Helping Tampa with their cap space should have netted something of more value.

4. Unlikely to end up with covid ravaged roster with all these players.

5. Wonder how many of these players will help us in the expansion draft, seems like a lot of one year deals that will not help at all.

6. If anything no one will be taking liberties of our young guys this season.

7. Anisimov to play in the KHL this season maybe? or just opt out?

8. Logan Brown cannot be held back by these vets, is time to let him show his stuff for next few seasons.

That's up to one person. Logan Brown. If he's ready, he'll play.

Reactions: Beville

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Paquette is a great addition to our 4th line and only 27. Had 13 goals goals last year woulda have 10 over full season this year. Great player to have.

He can be traded at the deadline or next year for more assets or apart of this team. Gives Greig and Pinto chance to develop properly.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Man I love Coburn...

from back in his Thrashers days.

At least we’ve got a sufficient taxi squad, all things considered.

The Paq-Attack should be fun to watch though at least.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
DJ seems like a coach that would be more than happy to run a pair of Coburn and Gudbranson/Brown and watch them get hemmed in all game, as long as they make some hits and block some shots.

Because hes a total moron that doesnt want to win or be an NHL coach?

Listen to DJ talk - go listen to his interview on TSN 1200 if you want something really recent as a reference point. There is some method to his madness, and theres a good reason why hes going to reward the players who compete the hardest.

Regardless what you think, this man has his eye on the ball, the real one that even trumps winning games today - and thats to develop the kids properly. He knows thats why he was brought in to this rebuilding team in the first place, and working with young players is his self proclaimed specialty as a coach.

Brady Tkachuk is trusted to get 1st line minutes from DJ already. And it should be no surprise when Tim Stuetzle gets the same treatment at some point next season after hes gained DJs trust.

And the reason why you ask? Its simple, and thats because they already play the way you need players to play on a winning hockey team. He wants the culture of relentless hard work and an elite level of compete to be ingrained in the locker room and every player on this team.

And some players will either get it and thrive with the team, and others will not, and eventually be phased out unfortunately. But it becomes easier as time goes on to bring in new/rookie players when the entire roster and its leaders have already bought in completely. Were still in the transition phase now, and ya its true, we might see some guys that we consider warm bodies get more usage than we would prefer.

To see what a young and talented team that doesnt know how to play properly looks like - then look no further than teams like Edmonton, Toronto, Buffalo - heck even Tampa was constantly getting outworked and upset by lesser teams until they figured it out eventually.

Point being is that not all teams are as fortunate as Tampa to have the window stay open as long as it did for them. And now is the right time to teach our kids how to play properly. Not after the fact when they've already been given huge contracts...like a few teams we might know. Say what you will about Babcock - he was an ego maniac and a terrible communicator for sure, and probably just a jerk when it comes right down to it - but when the puck dropped he certainly did know what he was doing as a coach behind the bench. and how a team needs to play to win in this league.

Last edited:

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Good deal, same as the Stepan one. Paquette is a solid 4th line centre, and probably bumps Anisimov, at least to start. Coburn I expect gets spot duty, but maybe more as the season drags on. Due to the condensed schedule, playing back to backs, 3 in 4s, often against the same team, as well as a copious total amount of games played against each one in our division by season’s end, there will be a great deal of bodies used when all is said and done. The fatigue, injuries, brought on not only by the schedule density, but by the inevitable volatility, will facilitate that.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
When has Paul ever been considered nice?
He had a coming out party last year. Really showed he belongs in the NHL on the bottom 2 lines by out muscling guys down low and being first on most loose picks. On the pucks he didn't get to first, he often pushed them off the puck. He showed good puck handling ability for a big grinder. I don't see why he can't be a top 4th liner who's big and wears you down and plays with energy.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
He had a coming out party last year. Really showed he belongs in the NHL on the bottom 2 lines by out muscling guys down low and being first on most loose picks. On the pucks he didn't get to first, he often pushed them off the puck. He showed good puck handling ability for a big grinder. I don't see why he can't be a top 4th liner who's big and wears you down and plays with energy.

Hes got sneaky good hands and a booming hard shot, and some great north-south speed too. All in all hes a perfect bottom 6 player with some decent offensive upside in my books. Not too mention he seems like a genuinely nice dude too.

Hes going to have to stay hungry and motivated, which was basically his problem before he broke through. But I think he can and will, and were going to get at least a few really decent years out of him.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Nice job by Dorion here.

We may not win many games this year, but man are we ever going to be a pain in the ass to play against. Should rekindle rivalries with the Leafs and Habs very well.

The PITA to play against is critical in what amounts to a season of mini series.

It's going to be very different seeing how this schedule impacts teams and who has the depth to deal with it

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Wtf are you talking about. You really gotta stop telling people how they feel or think. Focus on your own arguments.

This was a really good trade for the sens, it's exactly what they should be doing.

For all the people going on about how Ottawa did Tampa a favor have you even looked at how much cap relief the sens gave them? It's under 2 million. Stop complaining. Tampa has to LTIR Kucherov this year. They aren't in some magical great position and still have to make another deal to get cap compliant.

Paquette is a pretty useful player. Yeah the sens have alot of bodies but no one knows what the season is going to look like exactly. Before assuming maybe we just let training camp play out.

Last edited:

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Paquette and a 2nd is a good addition. I think Paquette is one of the better 4th line C's and fits perfectly into what PD is building here. I think he'll try and extend him. Wasn't a fan of Stepan move but in a series of moves with this one, it's fine. Would be nice if step 3 was shedding Anisimov and/or Zaitzev but that would be too optimistic.

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
Good depth. Keep the young guys in the AHL or Europe during this clusterf*** of a season. They’ll probably get brought up due to the rona ravaging the team at some point anyway. Can flip a few of the new additions at the deadline too.

Reactions: Raze The Stray

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad