Prospect Info: Senators 2015 Development Camp

Smitty26

Oct 24, 2011
sure its frustrating for NHL clubs, but come on....the CHL needs to protect itself a little

bit from having all the talent poached ASAP. Its fine the way it is, lets the very talented

players who are too good for CHL but maybe not good enough for the NHL yet, get

extra chances at a memorial cup. 9/10 they get traded in their last eligible year if the

team isn't going to make the playoffs so its not like you have to worry about the player

being on a crap team and losing development.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think the 'best of both worlds' scenario would be to allow each AHL team to have one 19-year-old on the roster.....but only if the kid has a minimum of 2 years played in the CHL, NCAA or equivalent European leagues.

That way, the kids who are obviously beyond the CHL level but below the NHL (like Lazar last year) an get that one year in the A, while at the same time making sure the CHL isn't drained of their talent. After all, it would be an absolute maximum of 30 kids, and not all of them would be from the CHL....that's if all 30 NHL teams use it (some teams may not even have a kid that qualifies).

18-19 year olds can play in the AHL, there's no specific rule against it generally. The agreement is between the AHL - CHL. Players drafted out of CHL can't play on AHL teams until they've played 4 years junior, are 20 years old by Dec 31st, or their junior teams are done for the year. This doesn't apply to to European leagues or USHL etc. Just OHL, WHL and the QMJHL. That's why Zibanejad could go and not Lazar.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
sure its frustrating for NHL clubs, but come on....the CHL needs to protect itself a little

bit from having all the talent poached ASAP. Its fine the way it is, lets the very talented

players who are too good for CHL but maybe not good enough for the NHL yet, get

extra chances at a memorial cup. 9/10 they get traded in their last eligible year if the

team isn't going to make the playoffs so its not like you have to worry about the player

being on a crap team and losing development.

Is this a haiku?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Is this a haiku?

Smitty is using one of these..

underwood5small.jpg

Bojovnik

Feb 11, 2007
England
The CHL offers nothing to players already established in professional European leagues, IMO. I think for players joining at age 17, it is a potentially good development route, but not post-draft.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Is there a reason Prince isn't at camp? Is it because of the lack of a contract?

Edit: Saw it's because his ELC is over.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Its interesting how Austin Matthews is going to play in Switzerland instead of college.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Is that a recent development? I had read he can't get a work visa for it.
Nope. I haven't read anything on it recently. Still, the idea of it happening is interesting.

As of June 29th
- Report: Work permit issues could keep Auston Matthews in North America next season

According to Pete Judge of ISS, Matthews likely won’t be able to play in Switzerland due to work permit issues. Judge reported on Twitter Sunday that the 17-year-old is having troubles getting a visa because he’s never played professionally before.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
The CHL offers nothing to players already established in professional European leagues, IMO. I think for players joining at age 17, it is a potentially good development route, but not post-draft.

Obviously there are a lot of good players coming out of other leagues, so I think people overstate it that every single player from Europe would benefit from CHL time.

I think it depends on the player and what holes they might have in their game.
Lindberg seemed to benefit from playing in a bit more structured league, and from getting more icetime than he would have in Sweden, and it worked out pretty well for him.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Obviously there are a lot of good players coming out of other leagues, so I think people overstate it that every single player from Europe would benefit from CHL time.

I think it depends on the player and what holes they might have in their game.
Lindberg seemed to benefit from playing in a bit more structured league, and from getting more icetime than he would have in Sweden, and it worked out pretty well for him.

I agree. A guy like Lindberg, and before him, Landeskog, play a certain style that gets to showcase how well they like the physical play and can thrive with the smaller rinks. It made a lot of sense.

For players less physically developed, but with high end skills, it can often be better to play in a men's league in Europe on the bigger ice until they get a bit stronger and fill out. CHL can turn into a gong show at times, which is tough on the slighter framed Europeans who aren't used to handling that type of thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad