GDT: Semifinal • Russia vs. United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
Russia lucks out!

The US hates their rivals to the North.

You must be feeling pretty confident now.

Lol not more than they hate Russia. This is equivalent to if we had Refs from Belarus and Kazakhstan

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is equivalent to if we had Refs from Belarus and Kazakhstan

Why shouldn't you?

No one spends more time griping about the nationality of the refs than Russian fans.

There are good and bad refs - their individual skill is of greater relevance than what country they were born in.

S A W F T*

This is turning into a ref GDT before it even starts?

Finland/Sweden thread all over again.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Russia is a bogey team for the US on this level. We seem to play really crappy against them but I think this time will be different.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
We can't resolve the whole Russia-Canada love-hate thing, but hopefully the kids will settle the game today on the ice with little or no influence from the referees. Just let the kids play, and call only what needs to be called.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I just heard an interesting statistic, that the Russians have never lost to the USA in the medal round. Of course, there's a first time for everything.

Russia's strategy last year against the Americans in Montreal in the QF was to allow them entry into the zone, but force them out to the outside for lower percentage shots. My guess is they will use a similar strategy today, and I hope it works!

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I just recalled an epic semi final in Grand Forks where Russia defeated USA 7-4 and Malkin put on a great show.

Good times

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
Why shouldn't you?

No one spends more time griping about the nationality of the refs than Russian fans.

There are good and bad refs - their individual skill is of greater relevance than what country they were born in.

Yea okay buddy, your statement about Russia is nothing but bigotry while these pro western refs are missing blatant calls like the cross check to the back of Kraskovsky...

But keep thinking that there is no politics in here, everyone is very innocent:sarcasm:

Its a win win..We'll ref them how we want, if they complain we'll call them whiners if they dont than its all good. While everyone saw what happened in Slovakia game...

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This is turning into a ref GDT before it even starts?

Finland/Sweden thread all over again.

Yeah, no.

Before this starts, everyone avoid flaming/trolling/offensive posts or we'll just remove you from the thread and/or issue infractions. No politics or attacking ethnicity/nationality. Talk about the game, not each other.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Has Bragin given any explanition why Georgiev started the earlier games? IMO Samsonov is much better.

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
I just recalled an epic semi final in Grand Forks where Russia defeated USA 7-4 and Malkin put on a great show.

Good times

I remember that one, USA tried to provoke in the end physically and had their assess handed to them

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I'm pretty sure both teams agree on the refs and it's no secret that Americans prefer Canadian refs and Canadians prefer American refs.

Recall reading that somewhere and it makes sense to me.

Isn't it something like teams pick 1 ref and 1 linesmen each.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
This should be an easy win for Team USA, if you compare the talent on both rosters.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
who to cheer for, who to cheer for?

I just hope to watch a great game!

(I'm thinking USA are the favourites, and Finland would have a better chance against Russia....but....either way, just want to see a good game).

NorwFin

May 17, 2014
Norway
Looking at stats the USA GK looks damn good. Has their goaltending looked as good the stats would have it? Haven't gotten to watch all their games.

E: Or does it look more like a "solid GK behind great D"-kind of situation?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Should be a very exciting game. Russia is always dangerous and they're in a perfect position to strike after having a couple of bad games (especially against Denmark) in the tournament. They always play well against US too.

US is the stronger team with better game breakers though, and they've faced adversity, 0 goals on 40 something shots against Sweden and a close 2-1 win against Canada. But they've gotten better as the tournament went on and are firing on all cylinders right now.

Could easily be a 4-4 type of game.

It just feels like i've seen this before, Russia struggling with smaller country in the QF, then they climb back and win building up the feeling that they can overcome tough situations and then they pull out 7 goals out of their ***** against one of the best teams in the tournament and come away with the "upset". Not necessarily the case this time around, but they can put up a solid fight for sure.

Last edited:

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
canadian refs are absurd, i'd like to see someone from belarus or kazakhstan. but whatever, while they are a nice security, i doubt there'll be a need in it. usa'd win easily here without any external help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad