U18: Semi-Finals at the U18!

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Theres problems in all the tournaments. In WJC top guys play NHL... in U18 top guys play world champs or playoffs or otherwise absent and Hlinka atleast Europeans send top guys often to U20 team instead... none of them have best of best

Reactions: Czechboy

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The only IIHF event I take seriously is the WJR's.
It’s basically the only “best on best” event there is until the nhl gets it together with the Olympics.

I know there’s semantics on if WJC is “best on best” since junior aged players don’t play in it but in my own definition if a kid is in the NHL they are no longer a junior player and so it’s the “best of best” of junior players.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
We haven't medalled yet, bud.

I bet you would if we actually won more often.
No, we have not medalled yet.

Canada does well at the World Championships in May (3 Golds and 3 Silver in the last 7 tournaments) and I don't take that seriously.

Theres problems in all the tournaments. In WJC top guys play NHL... in U18 top guys play world champs or playoffs or otherwise absent and Hlinka atleast Europeans send top guys often to U20 team instead... none of them have best of best
The WJR's comes closest to Best On Best. It is awesome.

It’s basically the only “best on best” event there is until the nhl gets it together with the Olympics.

I know there’s semantics on if WJC is “best on best” since junior aged players don’t play in it but in my own definition if a kid is in the NHL they are no longer a junior player and so it’s the “best of best” of junior players.
The World Juniors are awesome.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Essentially you just can't take any result too seriously for a "deeper meaning" and should just enjoy all of them for what they are.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Hats off to Sweden, they were clearly the better team. This Canadian team just never developed any cohesion or showed any conception on how to play defense in any game this tournament.

Was depressing to watch really.

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
Holy shit this canadian team is bad. I was a bit worried about a potential comeback win after the embarassment in the groups, and after the first game misconduct I thought us screwed for second. But Swedens "good" performance only come second to how horrifically bad this was. I don't know remember last time I saw such a dead candian team. The shots don't do this game justice at all. Especially defensively.

Doesn't invite to much confidence into tommorows game either, because the US is a entirely different team to this.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Yeah, it's not really a best on best since the best players are in NHL.

U18s could be best on best, but for whatever reason Canada likes playing playoffs in the spring instead.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

U18s could be best on best, but for whatever reason Canada likes playing playoffs in the spring instead.
Part of the issue is Canada has had their junior playoffs run into May far longer than the IIHF Under-18s has existed so they are not inclined to change it, even though they could run on the same schedule as NCAA pretty easily. No reason in my mind that the junior leagues each need to run four best-of-seven series when many aren’t that competitive, which precedes the Memorial Cup.. just seems like an attempt to be a mini-NHL in all facets..:. But that’s just me.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Holy shit this canadian team is bad. I was a bit worried about a potential comeback win after the embarassment in the groups, and after the first game misconduct I thought us screwed for second. But Swedens "good" performance only come second to how horrifically bad this was. I don't know remember last time I saw such a dead candian team. The shots don't do this game justice at all. Especially defensively.

Doesn't invite to much confidence into tommorows game either, because the US is a entirely different team to this.
Of course the US team is different. They have played together all year.

• Wow
Reactions: Sliptip

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
If Leo Carlsson had been six days younger he would’ve been unavailable due to playing with the mens team.

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Benson is in the playoffs, I doubt Winnipeg would want him to go. Yager had just finished up and would've missed the start of the tournament. Gauthier's been done for 10 days, not sure there.
Gauthier is still in playoffs too. They were off for extended time bc they swept last round. akey and bonk would help the d too. Akey just got knocked out and bonk is still going.

Reactions: Chainshot

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Part of the issue is Canada has had their junior playoffs run into May far longer than the IIHF Under-18s has existed so they are not inclined to change it, even though they could run on the same schedule as NCAA pretty easily. No reason in my mind that the junior leagues each need to run four best-of-seven series when many aren’t that competitive, which precedes the Memorial Cup.. just seems like an attempt to be a mini-NHL in all facets..:. But that’s just me.
Oh WT, you always think so poorly of Canadian hockey.

We're not so bad.

I am not sure why so many Canadian fans are upset. Assuming we win bronze, tomorrow, Canada's results are better than our average at this event.

Just try and enjoy the hockey.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Canada has won 5 of the last 9 World Juniors. Comparing those 5 wins with how we finished 2 years earlier at the U-18's :

WJR 2015 - Gold / U18 2013 Gold

WJR 2018 - Gold / U18 2016 4th

WJR 2020 - Gold / U18 2018 Did not make Top 4

WJR 2022 - Gold / U18 2020 Cancelled due to Covid

WJR 2023 - Gold / U18 2021 Gold

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Oh WT, you always think so poorly of Canadian hockey.

We're not so bad.

I am not sure why so many Canadian fans are upset. Assuming we win bronze, tomorrow, Canada's results are better than our average at this event.

Just try and enjoy the hockey.
I don’t think poorly of Canadian hockey. Quite the contrary. I just don’t see why the junior leagues each need four best of 7 series. For instance, Seattle and Kamloops both went 8-0 in the first two rounds. Everyone knew the top 4 teams in the Q all year so what are you waiting for? That being said, I acknowledged they’ve been doing it the way they do it for longer than the IIHF U18 has existed.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Huge statement victory by Sweden. To beat Canada 8-0 and 7-2 at the same tournament… wow! Canada are not as dominant at U18 than in other categories, but still. Excited about the final, definitely the two best teams of the tournament.

Reactions: Czechboy

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Pretty weird since the u18 tournament has been around like forever and the CHL only in the last 30 years or so changed their playoff format to conflict with the preexisting u18s eh?....

Sweden simply also had an extremely good balanced team this year so hats off to them.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

so why did canada only lose to sweden in this tournament if sweden is not good?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad