U18: Semi-Finals at the U18!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Canada vs Sweden

US vs Slovakia

To me, it's been a collision course between the best defending team, Sweden, and the best scoring team, USA. It's crazy to ever count out Canada though! Thrilled Slovakia is here if I'm being honest.

I say Sweden and US win. Think both games will be very good and I hope the US is not expecting a weak opponent!

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
If we were playing any other team besides the US I would have more confidence, this team looks too powerful for just about anyone.

This will either be a 6-2 USA (85% likely) win or a 2-1 Slovak overtime/shootout win (15% likely)

Reactions: Czechboy

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
USA - strongest offense
against
Slovakia - weakest defense

If the goalie has a bad game this could get ugly very fast

Last edited:

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Let's win this thing. We beat the Czechs, the Finns and the Germans and we played the Swedes and Canada very close. If Urban continues his excellent play and of course we need that Dvorsky line buzzing like it's been till now.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Normally I would say Canada would be the favourites vs. Sweden, but goaltending and defense has been surprisingly stellar for Sweden.. so predicting a tight game that could go either way.

U.S.... I think will defeat Slovakia with a rather wide margin. I hope that won't be the case though.

So, prediction:

Semifinals
Sweden vs. Canada 2-3
USA vs. Slovakia 6-1

Bronze Medal Game
Sweden vs. Slovakia 5-2

Gold Medal Game
USA vs. Canada 6-3

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Normally I would say Canada would be the favourites vs. Sweden, but goaltending and defense has been surprisingly stellar for Sweden.. so predicting a tight game that could go either way.

U.S.... I think will defeat Slovakia with a rather wide margin. I hope that won't be the case though.

So, prediction:

Semifinals
Sweden vs. Canada 2-3
USA vs. Slovakia 6-1

Bronze Medal Game
Sweden vs. Slovakia 5-2

Gold Medal Game
USA vs. Canada 6-3
I'm not sure why but I see Sweden leaving with the gold. Something about them and thatb D. They've been on a run here. But yes the US look unplayable!

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Not predicting anything, but has anyone ever heard a good explanation for why the semifinals and finals are on back-to-back days in all IIHF tournaments? It's always unfair for the teams who play the late game and especially unfair for the teams who play the late game and then have to play in the bronze medal match like 16 hours later. Has anyone ever read or heard why the IIHF does this?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Not predicting anything, but has anyone ever heard a good explanation for why the semifinals and finals are on back-to-back days in all IIHF tournaments? It's always unfair for the teams who play the late game and especially unfair for the teams who play the late game and then have to play in the bronze medal match like 16 hours later. Has anyone ever read or heard why the IIHF does this?
Back to back makes sense. However, to me it would make more sense to have the semis on friday and finals on sunday. I feel like sunday is a less popular day to watch hockey than friday or saturday, though I could be mistaken.
Agreed but I think Canada plays Sweden much stronger and I sense a win.
Canada can certainly win, yeah. It's not like USA vs Slovakia where Slovakia probably has around 0% chance of winning.

Reactions: illone84

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Thank you
i have been saying that forever. What a great idea, let’s give them days playing tier 2 teams then let’s bulldoze the semis into the finals.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
My guess is ticket sales... Easier to sell Saturday and Sunday packages and people only need one night in a hotel.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Very much not at the U18s.
And they won't tomorrow either unless they suddenly get their act together in all the areas we can so clearly see they have been beyond subpar in.

Canada can score goals, but they continue to leak far too many prime chances for the opponent. Bjarnason would have to be godlike next game to save them.

Reactions: Dominance

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
They got Gold 2 tournaments ago and are in the Semi's tomorrow.
Yeah, but looking historically it is far from remarkable for Canada to not make the finals at this tournament, for obvious reasons.

That Gold came in a rare tournament when Canada could field our best team. The way we ran the table that year speaks volumes.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah, but looking historically it is far from remarkable for Canada to not make the finals at this tournament, for obvious reasons.

That Gold came in a rare tournament when Canada could field our best team. The way we ran the table that year speaks volumes.
It was sensational but this isn't a weak squad. Lots of good players here! Canada just had a slow start IMO.

Don't get me wrong, feels like Sweden vs US incoming but I just cannot 'sleep on' Canada here.lol

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It was sensational but this isn't a weak squad. Lots of good players here! Canada just had a slow start IMO.

Don't get me wrong, feels like Sweden vs US incoming but I just cannot 'sleep on' Canada here.lol
You can never sleep on Canada but man, do they have some things to clean up. They would have never gotten away with the crap they pulled in that Swiss game against either Sweden or the U.S team. Might not have gotten away with it with this years Slovak entry either.

Sloppy out of synch play so far abounds with this team. I get some of it has to do with this team not having the prep time other teams do but too much of it is just dum dum stuff.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
You can never sleep on Canada but man, do they have some things to clean up. They would have never gotten away with the crap they pulled in that Swiss game against either Sweden or the U.S team. Might not have gotten away with it with this years Slovak entry either.

Sloppy out of synch play so far abounds with this team. I get some of it has to do with this team not having the prep time other teams do but too much of it is just dum dum stuff.
What's your prediction for that Sweden game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad