PGT: Semi-Final | Russia Vs Canada | 6PM | TSN/NHLN | Pt 2

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I'm a proud American. That said, IF the US beats Finland tonight (no certain thing), and in the gold medal game IF Knight plays the best game fo his life, and IF the rest of the team manages to stay onside, not ice the puck, take no penalties and play perfectly in all other aspects, I put their chances of beating Canada at about 25%. Pains me to say it, but Canada is A friggin' wagon.

Don't forget, you need to beat the Canadian refs and the TSN camera, too.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: The Blue Baron

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Canada looks almost unbeatable but they haven't faced much adversity in a game yet, that's the only thing that's untested. If you get the first goal, get a few good bounces maybe they can rattle them a bit. They are just kids and perhaps don't have the resilience (Sweden sure didn't) to keep focus on their gameplan when things don't go their way. We'll see!
Good call, I agree. Get on the board first against Canada, make em sweat a little.

Reactions: Macbanan

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Canada looks almost unbeatable but they haven't faced much adversity in a game yet, that's the only thing that's untested. If you get the first goal, get a few good bounces maybe they can rattle them a bit. They are just kids and perhaps don't have the resilience (Sweden sure didn't) to keep focus on their gameplan when things don't go their way. We'll see!
they faced adversity against slovaks who essentially parked the bus and played 5 back and vs the czechs who played the games of their lives

Antonglk

Dec 28, 2012
Moscow, Russia
One moment impressed me. There is a break in second period and Larionov is trying to say something to the team. And then Podkolzin wakes up and start talking to the team himself. Larionov shuts up. That moment is a good reason to make him go.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
It's easy to jump on Larionov but let's be honest. This wasn't the best Russian team who and had their worst game ever at the wrong time. For a first time coach he got out a lot out of this group.

They'll be better next year, and I can't even imagine how good they'll be in Novosibirsk 2023 if all those elite prospects turn out good.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
One moment impressed me. There is a break in second period and Larionov is trying to say something to the team. And then Podkolzin wakes up and start talking to the team himself. Larionov shuts up. That moment is a good reason to make him go.

"What will you guys want on your pizza tonight?"

"Guys, we can still win this game!"

"Right...what he said."

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Czechs played even better against the Russians. Really impressive tournament from them.
that's true...but canada didn't expect them to have any kind of forecheck and they took it to the canucks.
against russia they shotblocked them to death and scored on their only two chances

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
It's easy to jump on Larionov but let's be honest. This wasn't the best Russian team who and had their worst game ever at the wrong time. For a first time coach he got out a lot out of this group.

They'll be better next year, and I can't even imagine how good they'll be in Novosibirsk 2023 if all those elite prospects turn out good.

Structurally IU actually really liked the Russians game, tbh.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It's easy to jump on Larionov but let's be honest. This wasn't the best Russian team and for a first time coach he got out a lot out of this group.

Russia will be better... know doubt... seriously...

Is Novosibirsk like Edmonton... ?

:popcorn:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
that's true...but canada didn't expect them to have any kind of forecheck and they took it to the canucks.
against russia they shotblocked them to death and scored on their only two chances

The Czech goalie didn't drop his stick and mess up his team's defensive coverage numerous times.

The Czechs really don't mind if you play in their zone, they don't panic and they are patient.

I didn't see that from the Russians tonight.

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
Congratulation to Canada! What a team you have! Good luck in the GMG.
I don't think Russia had a chance tonight. This was the most or one of the most impressive team performance from a team I've ever seen. Seriously, you did everything perfectly. Defense especially. You're #1 in the hockey.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
-35C last week

Yup... a lot like Edmonton...

Though to be honest I have an IT buddy who emigrated to Canada... I know all about Novo' from him...

Was Me taking a shot at Edmonton... I'm from Winnipeg... we are usually at minus 35 without the windchill here in Winnipeg also...

Just warming up for the NHL's northern division AKA Canadian division...

:laugh:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The Czech goalie didn't drop his stick and mess up his team's defensive coverage numerous times.

The Czechs really don't mind if you play in their zone, they don't panic and they are patient.

I didn't see that from the Russians tonight.
Just their fans panic.lol

Reactions: Juppy61

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Just their fans panic.lol

I don't think I could watch and keep my sanity.

I have a hard enough time when some Senators coaches use a passive box on the PK.

DO SOMETHING! TRY SOMETHING!

But hey, they put up two very competitive games against Canada and Russia.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
The game was a basket case for Askarov. If there is anything I hope he can console himself with, it is the thought that his team would still have had a mountain to climb.
Maybe there is a fancy stat for how dropped goalie sticks relates to success rate.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad