PGT: Semi-Final | Russia Vs Canada | 6PM | TSN/NHLN | Pt 2

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
I had to take a note from that game, too. He's just so strong in what are really lousy games for a goalie. He seems strong mentally, and also his technique seems pretty sound. I'd even say more so than Askarov's, and even beyond holding the stick.

Yes, I saw the same good things about him. He seems to really have strong fundamentals. I remember thinking after the game against Czech Republic that I would get to see him under stronger pressure next game, but I guess that will have to wait until the Gold medal game. I really hope it is USA.

Reactions: Dexter Colt

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Russia played the way I thought they would for a brief 6 or 7 minutes in the third period when it was all over.

Early on they were too aggressive, leading to odd man chances from the get go, but Larionov should have pulled Askarov and have a more Bragin style approach for the early minutes against Canada.

Everyone in World Hockey knows Canada is a mid February Winter storm the first 10 minutes of an elimination game.

I believe it was Podkolzin who had an interview on the KHL website who said it was the perfect mix having Bragin's defensive system thoughts with Larionov's creativity last year. And also I believe Khabibulin leaving hurt Askarov's adjustments through the tourney.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
There's probably steam coming out of Bragin's ears right now.

Implementing a neo-Soviet style gamplan (with an untalented roster by Russian standards) against arguably Canada;s best team in a decade is insanity. We don't have the talent to do that.

When you're that undermanned you gotta get dirty goals. I have no clue what Larionov is thinking. It's like he's committed to a style moreso than victory.

That said this is a Canadian team for the ages, thus far. Immensely impressive.

Certainly Larionov wants to promote skill and possession in Russia youth hockey...

But someone hired him... who are they... ?

And yes... on a NA ice surface controlled aggression with skill is better...

Last edited:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Russia played the way I thought they would for a brief 6 or 7 minutes in the third period when it was all over.

Early on they were too aggressive, leading to odd man chances from the get go, but Larionov should have pulled Askarov and have a more Bragin style approach for the early minutes against Canada.

Everyone in World Hockey knows Canada is mid February Winter storm the first 10 minutes of an elimination game.

Excepting it was a 50 minute storm tonight... and 10 minutes of swoon...

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Stoat

Jan 5, 2014
Oulu
I'll be cheering for the Russians against Finland in the bronze medal game. Have to cheer for the classier fans. The Finnish fans have raised douchebaggery to a whole new level.
I have to admit. Some of my fellow countrymen have been annoying on this thread.

However, this is really not classy comment either because the second semifinal is still to be played. I guess some Canadians can be salty douchebags as well.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Yes it does, and yea I would agree and he played better comp if you ask me. He was nuts.

Games were a lot closer too. When you're up by 3+ every game it's a different game mentally. Stoned Kane in the shootout as well. 2007 depended on goaltending much more than 2021 does. Levi has been excellent himself, but he hasn't stolen any games, where as Price did.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I have to admit. Some of my fellow countrymen have been annoying on this thread.

However, this is really not classy comment either because the second semifinal is still to be played. I guess some Canadians can be salty douchebags as well.

You just wanted to call us douchebags and was waiting for the optimal moment.

I understand.

Reactions: jj cale

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
I'm a proud American. That said, IF the US beats Finland tonight (no certain thing), and in the gold medal game IF Knight plays the best game fo his life, and IF the rest of the team manages to stay onside, not ice the puck, take no penalties and play perfectly in all other aspects, I put their chances of beating Canada at about 25%. Pains me to say it, but Canada is A friggin' wagon.

Canada looks almost unbeatable but they haven't faced much adversity in a game yet, that's the only thing that's untested. If you get the first goal, get a few good bounces maybe they can rattle them a bit. They are just kids and perhaps don't have the resilience (Sweden sure didn't) to keep focus on their gameplan when things don't go their way. We'll see!

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
And the guy who scrubs the toilet bowls...
and the guy who washes the farts out of the player's longjons. there is such a guy yes?
and the tour guy who tells everyone edmonton is a cool city - even though everyone knows he's lying
and as if they were ever allowed to leave the hotel compound anyway

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Russian defense was ordinary, but they spent half the time running around trying to pick up Askarov's stick. Next time attach one end of a bungee cord around the knob of his stick, and the other around his blocker. He looked ridiculous...and no, that was not Larionov's fault!

Russian defense was exposed, and the forwards weren't able to get loose due to great backchecking by the Canadians and a solid Defense...Byram was great, but Drysdale was blowing my mind defensively.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
and the guy who washes the farts out of the player's longjons. there is such a guy yes?
and the tour guy who tells everyone edmonton is a cool city - even though everyone knows he's lying
and as if they were ever allowed to leave the hotel compound anyway

And the mountains loom over Edmonton apparently...

:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad