Proposal: SELL SELL SELL. Trade Proposal and Trade Deadline talk continued!

Would you trade pick #2/3 for John Tavares?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
Did Kipper just say MB's asking price for Pacioretty was a 1st, 2nd, top prospect, and a warm NHL body? At least MB is aiming high if so but good luck getting that IMO.

I guess it depends on what a top prospect is. If it's guys like Vilardi or Thomas sure, but if it's a Connor Timmins type then I think it should be 2 1sts and a prospect.

The team acquiring Pacioretty should be able to flip him at next year's deadline for at least a 1st and a 2nd if they want to trade him so you need to get a lot more than that for the extra playoff run and full season they get. Otherwise you may as well hang onto him.

I wish Bergevin wasn't the guy doing the dealing, you just can't trust him to do the right thing for the team in the medium-to-long term.

Reactions: sheed36

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I know we should be in sell mode, it Leivo is a very interesting player to me and has reportedly requested a trade.

If Shaw and/or Gallagher are on the block, I would love to buy low on Leivo

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Duchene treasure trove has upped expectations more than a little, I think.

Could also be a poison pill. Deals that could have gotten done earlier, will be delayed as every seller or most of them measure their efforts relative to the haul in the Duchene deal.

And deals that are delayed could also mean dominos not falling, which usually force the hand of other suitors when they do.

I dunno, seems to me that the Duchene deal was unique and can't easily be replicated. It took a long time for Sakic to pull it off, he took a lot of heat, many said he was the worst GM for squandering Duchene's value while he was playing hardball well over the year it took for him to move him.

Other GMs acting now, won't have the luxury of time. And they may not have as scarce an asset to deal, especially one with term left on the contract. It was a confluence of events that may just not be replicated.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Future is now a priority. I think you misread it.

I had to read it a couple of times as well to really figure out what he meant since I thought the same at first read. Good to know that Molson is making the future a priority now which is the correct move IMO if what Murphy says is true and I hope it is.

Reactions: Runner77

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I guess it depends on what a top prospect is. If it's guys like Vilardi or Thomas sure, but if it's a Connor Timmins type then I think it should be 2 1sts and a prospect.

The team acquiring Pacioretty should be able to flip him at next year's deadline for at least a 1st and a 2nd if they want to trade him so you need to get a lot more than that for the extra playoff run and full season they get. Otherwise you may as well hang onto him.

I wish Bergevin wasn't the guy doing the dealing, you just can't trust him to do the right thing for the team in the medium-to-long term.

So Robert Thomas, Tage Thompson and a 1st and 2nd.

Ok. I would back off on the 2nd to get it done.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Did Kipper just say MB's asking price for Pacioretty was a 1st, 2nd, top prospect, and a warm NHL body? At least MB is aiming high if so but good luck getting that IMO.

He did. I had to go back and re-read this thread as in my mind, I somehow reverted back to what Kypreos had said a few weeks ago, instead of focusing on what he just said now. Here it is:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
He did. I had to go back and re-read this thread as in my mind, I somehow reverted back to what Kypreos had said a few weeks ago, instead of focusing on what he just said now. Here it is:

I wasn't sure if they were talking about Pacioretty since they were talking about other players as well. Thanks for confirming what he said. Good luck but can't blame MB for aiming for the stars. It's not like he really needs to trade him this season so why not have a huge asking price.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Good. He better be asking for a lot. I read this asking price and I'm happy. Closer to the deadline, someone might get desperate enough to give in to MB's demands. If MB has to compromise, his ask is so high that if he drops an element, he's still getting a lot for Max.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks to shuteinside for his post about Jimmy Murphy's tweet.

I checked it out for further comments, and Murphy doubles down on his source, FWIW:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

And between Max and Kane, a team should be more willing to give MB what he wants for a year and a half of Max than giving it to Botteril for only a few months of Kane.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Thanks to shuteinside for his post about Jimmy Murphy's tweet.

I checked it out for further comments, and Murphy doubles down on his source, FWIW:

I trust Murphy more than most sources. However, actions speak louder than words, always remember that.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
If Molson really gave the mandate to build for the future, we will see what MB can do. It was clearly not the case for the Weber and Shaw trades.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
And between Max and Kane, a team should be more willing to give MB what he wants for a year and a half of Max than giving it to Botteril for only a few months of Kane.

I was thinking exactly the same. By comparison, Pacioretty stands out. However, that doesn't make the ask on both Kane and Pacioretty necessarily a price that any suitor would pay. It's just an ask but given how Bergevin handled the Weber negotiations, maybe he since took got some pointers from the law firm that handles the Molson Group's contracts. He should have one of those downtown shark lawyers on standby when talks start getting more serious.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If Molson really gave the mandate to build for the future, we will see what MB can do. It was clearly not the case for the Weber and Shaw trades.

Two years ago, when MB made those moves, he was still in NOW mode. In 2016, when he acquired Shaw and Weber, he had 3 years in a row in the playoffs, in 2014 he was in the ECF, in 2015 he went to the 2nd round. So the historic collapse in 2016 could have been seen as an anomaly by him and his team. The team still needed changes regardless so he made those bold moves. However, after 2016, 2017, and now 2018, they can see it's no longer an anomaly, but a trend. He and Molson would be fools if they carried on as they were before expecting a different result.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
His legit source must be Eklund.

If that's the case, then ...

23wvie.gif

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I was thinking exactly the same. By comparison, Pacioretty stands out. However, that doesn't make the ask on both Kane and Pacioretty necessarily a price that any suitor would pay. It's just an ask but given how Bergevin handled the Weber negotiations, maybe he since took got some pointers from the law firm that handles the Molson Group's contracts. He should have one of those downtown shark lawyers on standby when talks start getting more serious.

Those lawyers probably bring coloring books to MB so he can stay occupied while they get the job done.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Two years ago, when MB made those moves, he was still in NOW mode.

Frankly, it doesn't even matter. He mishandled his negotiations with Poile. Poile was in NOW mode, Bergevin was in orbit mode. He got shortchanged.

But, this is a new mandate, let's see if he's learned anything. Apparently, he's going to do this now while trusting the same old dogs that helped him land all those chumps in the last year and a half or two.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Those lawyers probably bring coloring books to MB so he can stay occupied while they get the job done.

I've had my share of dealing with those lawyers in the positions I've held. I know exactly how Julien BriseBois operates. These guys could easily eat Bergevin alive.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I've had my share of dealing with those lawyers in the positions I've held. I know exactly how Julien BriseBois operates. These guys could easily eat Bergevin alive.

Which is why they need BriseBois here. It's already known that there are certain negotiations Yzerman lets BriseBois handle. Not to mention a lot of pundits and insiders say that if there is one guy in the league who knows the CBA inside and out, it's JB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad