Sell me on Kruger

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Kruger will get a look, if he doesn't come through they'll try to trade for someone, if they can clear some room.

Also nice thread necro.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Krüger fits the 3rd line as he fits the 2nd line. He still gets underrated around here. Thank god that he is now good at faceoffs, otherwise you would read 24/7 about him around here

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think he will do fine, he was over his head a couple years ago, but he has improved everywhere since then, except maybe finishing. He's a better face off guy, passer, skater, and he's smarter.

He's not ideal for the spot, but if they aren't using Shaw, he's the 2nd best option in the organization.

MagicSlap*

Krüger fits the 3rd line as he fits the 2nd line. He still gets underrated around here. Thank god that he is now good at faceoffs, otherwise you would read 24/7 about him around here

Kruger doesn't belong on the 3rd or 2nd line of a team with Cup aspirations. His play this year has not been good, even in his "defensive" role. Note I didn't say shut down because that's not how he's being used, he's not facing the opponent's first, or even second best line. He's getting woefully outshot against average competition, yes his zone starts are heavily in the defensive end but that's because he doesn't have an NHL caliber (in the top 9) offensive game. Playing him anywhere in our top 9 is LOL-worthy and the only reason he will now is because Handzus is terrible and Q hates Pirri.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
If Q can find 12-14 minutes out of a guy making 1.3 I don't think there's much reason to consider moving him. He's improving in most areas too. As painful as it is watching him get smeared with a monster hit every few games, the guy just keeps getting back up and keeps getting on the puck. He's not making enough to consider moving him.

He's been on a cup team, he's going to get olympic experience, and he keeps improving in multiple areas. I don't see a good reason, given the cap situation and roster construction, to let him go this year or next year unless one of the prospects really emerges quickly as a defensively responsible center.

Nothingman*

His face-offs have improved and it will be interesting to see how he does on a line where grinding it out is not what 90% of his energy is spent doing. I am not worried so much about his puck possession time as Kane will be good at that. Speed it there to keep the line going. This is just a stop gap until next year when TT comes in. And if he doesn't work here then maybe Shaw is the next experiment….which I would prefer.

LandofLincoln*

If Q can find 12-14 minutes out of a guy making 1.3 I don't think there's much reason to consider moving him. He's improving in most areas too. As painful as it is watching him get smeared with a monster hit every few games, the guy just keeps getting back up and keeps getting on the puck. He's not making enough to consider moving him.

He's been on a cup team, he's going to get olympic experience, and he keeps improving in multiple areas. I don't see a good reason, given the cap situation and roster construction, to let him go this year or next year unless one of the prospects really emerges quickly as a defensively responsible center.

Slam dunk post and no I'm not pumping your tires. Kruger is worth keeping at his salary even if he is not a 2nd line center. He gets better ever year and 12-14 minutes for 1.3m a year is a win. Especially, with the experience he gets and progression of playing every year.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Effort's great. It doesn't make you good. Karl Stewart gave 110%. He just isn't a NHL talent. I'd love Kruger's heart in Bickell's body. As is, he's a flawed player that is relied on WAY too much. Doing all the little things doesn't amount to much when all you do at the NHL level well is play defense. He's not good enough to play in the top six, and solid if unspectacular defensive play doesn't cut it in the bottom six if that's all you provide. He brings no physical element, can't win faceoffs, and for all the alleged offensive upside he sure hasn't shown it.

And comparing what Leddy has done with what Kruger has done is asinine.

cant win faceoffs. 9th in the league...tied with toews.

but, nope, cant win faceoffs.

vegasvic

Jan 10, 2010
I can't say I'm a huge fan of him at 2C, but watching Kruger and Frolik on the PK last year was, at times, a thing of beauty.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
In fairness, it's not that common to bump 18 month old threads.

Kruger won the 2C spot by default this time, but this is also the year he has looked closest to deserving it.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Kruger doesn't belong on the 3rd or 2nd line of a team with Cup aspirations. His play this year has not been good, even in his "defensive" role. Note I didn't say shut down because that's not how he's being used, he's not facing the opponent's first, or even second best line. He's getting woefully outshot against average competition, yes his zone starts are heavily in the defensive end but that's because he doesn't have an NHL caliber (in the top 9) offensive game. Playing him anywhere in our top 9 is LOL-worthy and the only reason he will now is because Handzus is terrible and Q hates Pirri.

advanced stats are a nice thing if you read them correctly. Doing it correct, Krüger with Bollig and Smith have been more than great for the roles they have and they always play against the Top2 lines, not the average ones ;) That's on Q for whatever reason.

MagicSlap*

advanced stats are a nice thing if you read them correctly. Doing it correct, Krüger with Bollig and Smith have been more than great for the roles they have and they always play against the Top2 lines, not the average ones ;) That's on Q for whatever reason.

Except you aren't reading the stats right. Kruger/Smith/Bollig play against the third best line of the other team, Toews plays against the best, the 2nd line against the 2nd best. SO no, Kruger isn't playing against the other team's best players, but rather the average ones.

Additionally, it's okay to get outshot in a defensive role if you aren't playing average oppoenent's. In his best years as a Hawk Bolland would, but he was playing against the other team's best players, not their 3rd best.

So maybe you need to re-look at the stats since you don't seem to understand them ;)

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I will watch 16 tonight with a legal pad next to me. let's see how he does.

1 nice dump in

1 turnover along the wall near the blue line

1 missed scoring chance due to his stick being waist high.

Tossed from a face off

Lost faceoff to a winger after C was tossed.

Nice little pass to Kane

Lead man on the rush and passes backwards (Bobby Jet heeeellllpppp)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad