Sell me on Kruger

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Period 3 and wrapup.

Lost draw.

Made a nice defensive play behind Hawks net.

If anyone thinks he has the offensive instincts to play 2C just watch his shift that began around the 8 minute mark. He ain't got it.

Leads the league in adjusting his helmet and hitching up his breezers though.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
If Pirri isn't going to be given a look, anybody but Handzus on the second line is fine by me. Literally anyone on the roster outside of Bollig is an improvement.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
The second line was a gong show tonight. Kruger wasn't good. But I didn't think Bickell was very good either, besides one wicked wrist shot, and I don't know where Kane's head was but it wasn't on the ice.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
The second line was a gong show tonight. Kruger wasn't good. But I didn't think Bickell was very good either, besides one wicked wrist shot, and I don't know where Kane's head was but it wasn't on the ice.

Compared to what? Every line was largely ineffective. Versteeg and Toews fell down about 20 times between them, and Saad passed up every shot opportunity for some lame ass pass. I thought Bickell played decent compared to what we're used to seeing. At least the last few games it looks like he's trying (it's sad to use that as a 'compliment' but it beats the Bickell we had been seeing).

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Except you aren't reading the stats right. Kruger/Smith/Bollig play against the third best line of the other team, Toews plays against the best, the 2nd line against the 2nd best. SO no, Kruger isn't playing against the other team's best players, but rather the average ones.

Additionally, it's okay to get outshot in a defensive role if you aren't playing average oppoenent's. In his best years as a Hawk Bolland would, but he was playing against the other team's best players, not their 3rd best.

So maybe you need to re-look at the stats since you don't seem to understand them ;)

I showed and explained it in the GDT. Krüger faces high level of competition. He is 5th on the Hawks forwards behind the Big 4...

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I don't think anyone has said he has the offensive instincts for #2C, but at least he has the defense.

Since 2nd lines are counted on to score, Kruger doesn't belong on the 2nd line.

It's crystal clear.

Funny that a defensive coach can't teach a teachable skill ( defense) to Pirri, but thinks he can teach an unteachable skill (offensive creativity) to Kruger.:shakehead

MagicSlap*

I showed and explained it in the GDT. Krüger faces high level of competition. He is 5th on the Hawks forwards behind the Big 4...

That's just not true though... go look at the QoC numbers...

http://www.extraskater.com/team/chicago-blackhawks/2013

He's 7th on the team, which is exactly consistent with what I said. He's playing against the other team's 3rd best players. He is not shutting down the other teams best players, just get over it.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
That's just not true though... go look at the QoC numbers...

http://www.extraskater.com/team/chicago-blackhawks/2013

He's 7th on the team, which is exactly consistent with what I said. He's playing against the other team's 3rd best players. He is not shutting down the other teams best players, just get over it.

that's from yesterday

let's take a look at those advanced stats you are talking about, ok? All stats are 5 vs 5

Out of all regualars (forwards) around the league, no Line has started less in the offensiv zone than our 4th line. Bollig, Krüger and Smith are #1,#2 & #3.

Out of the Top30 that starts in the D zone Krüger has a worse Corsi than Bollig, Derek Dorsett and Stephen Gionta. That includes the likes of guys like Gionta, Plekanec, McClement, Stajan, Gaustad and 3 million Gordon.

10 guys of that Top30 see a better SV% while they are on the ice. Those guys have Price, Harding (in Beast mode), Lundqvist and then you have 2 guys from TOR and CAR.

About what you say that he faces average opponents... he is the 5th forward on the Hawks when you look at Quality of Competition
In other words, he plays against good competition ONLY and still manages to be one of the best Defensiv forwards in the league.

If you bring up Advanced stats, be sure you read them right or that the other can't read them.

This line also has a good number of Off. zone finishes compared to Off. zone starts. They earned more ice time, especially Krüger with his much improved play.

While we look at stats, he has 18 pts so far while playing on the 4th line only and with the likes of Bollig- who many think should be off the roster.
Being on pace for 30 Points while playing on the 4th line with Bollig and on the PK is really good offensiv production. Being a + Player helps too and him winning faceoffs is another reason. His hard work pays off. I wish some other players would play more with his heart and work as much as him.

not to mention... if he doesn't play against the good lines, why do we read many times about Q being stupid putting Krüger line against Getzlaf line for example. Give it up

MagicSlap*

that's from yesterday

not to mention... if he doesn't play against the good lines, why do we read many times about Q being stupid putting Krüger line against Getzlaf line for example. Give it up

Maybe you're having trouble reading the stats and you can post as much as you want that he's playing the 4th toughest minutes but it's just not true. Look at the link I showed you, he's facing the 7th.

He does play a ton of defensize zone minutes and 18 points may be good for the minutes he's playing but at the end of the day he is what he is, a 4th line player who is only viable in the d zone. It'd be one thing if he was playing against good competition, but he's not. You ignoring the truth on that is pretty astounding. I've never said he was a bad 4th line center but that's just what he is and he hasn't earned more time. He may finish in the offensive zone a good amount which is good but he's still being woefully outshot when on the ice facing average opponents.

If the advanced stats hurt your head so much keep your phone near you, you may be getting a call from Brian Burke and team USA.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Anyone have an update on Denault's progress? The sooner he and Pirri get here the better as far as I'm concerned. Even learning on the job they will be better than what we have currently.

I'd like to see Stan trade Kruger now before the word gets out what value he has now, plummets.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Maybe you're having trouble reading the stats and you can post as much as you want that he's playing the 4th toughest minutes but it's just not true. Look at the link I showed you, he's facing the 7th.

He does play a ton of defensize zone minutes and 18 points may be good for the minutes he's playing but at the end of the day he is what he is, a 4th line player who is only viable in the d zone. It'd be one thing if he was playing against good competition, but he's not. You ignoring the truth on that is pretty astounding. I've never said he was a bad 4th line center but that's just what he is and he hasn't earned more time. He may finish in the offensive zone a good amount which is good but he's still being woefully outshot when on the ice facing average opponents.

If the advanced stats hurt your head so much keep your phone near you, you may be getting a call from Brian Burke and team USA.

good to know that out of all regualars, he is 6th :laugh:
I used 30 games as minimum and Handzus has 29. Go to Behind the net... they are more reliable too.

His numbers are great - offensivly and defensivly - for the role he has played for this half season.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I used 30 games as minimum and Handzus has 29. Go to Behind the net... they are more reliable too.

His numbers are great - offensivly and defensivly - for the role he has played for this half season.

That doesn't mean he capable of handling a 2c role with any degree of competency. Being a decent 4th liner =/= being a decent 2nd liner.

MagicSlap*

Hahaha well if you're nitpicking over 1 game played to try and make Kruger look like a respectable player then I think that says all you need to about his play.

His numbers are not great offensively or defensively. Defensively he's getting badly outshot by average competition (they'd be great if he either A. was getting outshout but playing top competition or was holding his own against avg. competition). Offensively he's still getting outshot and has 18 points which might be good for a 4th liner (emphasis on 4th liner) but isn't good for a top 9 player (which he isn't).

The numbers illustrate he's a solid 4th line defensive center, not great at anything at the NHL level.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Hahaha well if you're nitpicking over 1 game played to try and make Kruger look like a respectable player then I think that says all you need to about his play.

His numbers are not great offensively or defensively. Defensively he's getting badly outshot by average competition (they'd be great if he either A. was getting outshout but playing top competition or was holding his own against avg. competition). Offensively he's still getting outshot and has 18 points which might be good for a 4th liner (emphasis on 4th liner) but isn't good for a top 9 player (which he isn't).

The numbers illustrate he's a solid 4th line defensive center, not great at anything at the NHL level.

Perhaps the numbers MIGHT be okay, but I'd like to see this team shore up the center position this season before crunch time by bringing in Pirri (for now) and Denault ... then down the road, TT in Pirri's spot. Shaw or Denault would take over the 4th line center, both better options than Kruger.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
If they keep playing like they did tonight, then Saad Shaw Kane is the answer for now.

I have no problems with Kruger, but he doesn't belong on the second line. He doesn't bring enough offense.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Yeah that's exactly it. Kruger brings us things that can help us win a Cup (he's got his name on it to prove it)... just not on the second line.

Smith is a very good linemate for him. Bollig should, of course, be replaced.

LandofLincoln*

Yeah that's exactly it. Kruger brings us things that can help us win a Cup (he's got his name on it to prove it)... just not on the second line.

Smith is a very good linemate for him. Bollig should, of course, be replaced.

Bollig is perfect for his role and pay. I say give him another year contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad