Seider

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
He is such a good player, I am so happy we have him. A bit surprised we are not leaning on him more though given his age/talent? I envisioned him being like a 25+ min a night guy in his prime, and right now he is playing 22:54, which is 43rd in the league.
If Lalonde continues to go 11/7 with any regularity, that "normalizes" 25 minutes to more like 21.5, which means that Mo is actually playing about where he should.

It's scary to think that he's still learning. And even scarier what he and Edvinsson might become in a few years. :thumbu:

Reactions: 14ari13

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I swear he cant hit anyone without falling this season. Dude needs to relearn how to skate again. Hes been improving as the season goes on much like last season though. Lots of points so far which bodes well for when he hits his stride.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He's off of pp1 already. Does tanguay do any actual coaching or just shuffle point men whenever the pp hits a dry spot?

Imo, the PP unit didn't change at all for a 10-game span, after Fabbri did get injured on first game.

So there's not really any suffling. Just this one change I like. Both Ghost and Seids on the point at own units, makes our overall PP better. Than 2nd unit is really a threat now when Seider controls it.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
From the latest Athletic article by Max:

Detroit started the year with Gostisbehere and Moritz Seider both on its first power-play unit, deviating from the league-wide trend toward playing four forwards and one defenseman on the man advantage. Shayna Goldman explored that in more depth last week.

Certainly, it was hard to argue with the results at the beginning, but as the slump called for it, the Red Wings made the change back to a fourth forward, and it took all of one period for it to pay off. Raymond scored on the power play in the first period, and Detroit’s skid was over.

Not sure why people are ripping on Tanguay, we are flirting with a top 5 power play.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Moving Seider off PP1 was a good call. He had stopped shooting so he was no longer a threat and the guys could just focus on stopping the guys at the dots. Ray is more likely to shoot and thus teams can't cheat.

Seider on PP 2 gives them a puck control and passing guy which PP2 really lacked. Its also more of a dirty goal unit outside of Sprong which should force Seider into shooting some more.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Moving Seider off PP1 was a good call. He had stopped shooting so he was no longer a threat and the guys could just focus on stopping the guys at the dots. Ray is more likely to shoot and thus teams can't cheat.

Seider on PP 2 gives them a puck control and passing guy which PP2 really lacked. Its also more of a dirty goal unit outside of Sprong which should force Seider into shooting some more.
Gostisbehere was good on the right side with his one timer but now he's in Seider's spot on PP1. I understand that they now have the one-timer on the other side with DBC, and Raymond who threatens with a wrist-shot or a pass instead of a one-timer, so that's some variety I guess, but Seider was doing very well as the QB on PP1 with his passing. I understand he didn't shoot much but with 2 dangerous one-timer options on either side, I feel like he didn't really need to and he played his role perfectly well.

At the same time, I think it's fine that they shake things up since PP1 had slowed down in the last few games, but PP2 barely sees any icetime so the potential of Seider feeding Sprong and potentially Walman instead isn't very realistic at the moment, but we shall see.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Gostisbehere was good on the right side with his one timer but now he's in Seider's spot on PP1. I understand that they now have the one-timer on the other side with DBC, and Raymond who threatens with a wrist-shot or a pass instead of a one-timer, so that's some variety I guess, but Seider was doing very well as the QB on PP1 with his passing. I understand he didn't shoot much but with 2 dangerous one-timer options on either side, I feel like he didn't really need to and he played his role perfectly well.

At the same time, I think it's fine that they shake things up since PP1 had slowed down in the last few games, but PP2 barely sees any icetime so the potential of Seider feeding Sprong and potentially Walman instead isn't very realistic at the moment, but we shall see.

I like that Lalonde is making adjustments quicker this season. PP started off hot lasts season and died because he didn't change it up once opponents adjusted to the scheme. Unless you have Ovechkin on your team, the PP needs to have a few different looks.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I like that Lalonde is making adjustments quicker this season. PP started off hot lasts season and died because he didn't change it up once opponents adjusted to the scheme. Unless you have Ovechkin on your team, the PP needs to have a few different looks.
They changed pp personnel last season like musical chairs. Hronek then Seider then back to Hronek then back to Seider. Sometimes it changed from game to game, sometimes it changed within a game.

Reactions: 14ari13

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
He's off of pp1 already. Does tanguay do any actual coaching or just shuffle point men whenever the pp hits a dry spot?
You realise we were around 50% on the PP? It is far better than the hall of fame 2002 team. Tangay is doing a great job so far

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
They changed pp personnel last season like musical chairs. Hronek then Seider then back to Hronek then back to Seider. Sometimes it changed from game to game, sometimes it changed within a game.

They changed the personnel but not the scheme. Other teams caught on to the backdoor play pretty quickly.

Hronek only took 22 SOG on the PP last season, Mo took 34. This season Mo only has 2 PP SOG. Granted, Ray only has 7 SOG.

In any case, going from 2D PP with RHD QB to 1D PP with LHD QB is going to give a different look Much more so than swapping one RHD for another.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
You realise we were around 50% on the PP? It is far better than the hall of fame 2002 team. Tangay is doing a great job so far
Is it Tanguay or is it just more talented players on a hot stretch? If it finishes in the top third of the league, I will concede that Tanguay is doing/has done a good job. Until then I think he's a busted asshole who should have been removed with the other remnants of Blashhill's staff.

They changed the personnel but not the scheme. Other teams caught on to the backdoor play pretty quickly.

Hronek only took 22 SOG on the PP last season, Mo took 34. This season Mo only has 2 PP SOG. Granted, Ray only has 7 SOG.

In any case, going from 2D PP with RHD QB to 1D PP with LHD QB is going to give a different look Much more so than swapping one RHD for another.
Yea, Mo needs to shoot more.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Is it Tanguay or is it just more talented players on a hot stretch? If it finishes in the top third of the league, I will concede that Tanguay is doing/has done a good job. Until then I think he's a busted asshole who should have been removed with the other remnants of Blashhill's staff.
Tanguay was hired by Yzerman. Now I'm not saying Yzerman is infallible, but to suggest he's a Blashill guy is just plan wrong.

Reactions: Gniwder

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Yea, Mo needs to shoot more.
You write it like we have league's 10 very best offensive players, we have 1 or maybe 2 who can make AST

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm aware of that. But I wanted him gone when the others left.

I don't blame you, he didn't do much under Blash.

Tanguay comes across as a guy that's trying to coach the same way he played. Skill plays near the crease, back door plays, and cross ice passes. He couldn't make that happen with the lack of talent on the team previously, but it looks pretty dang good so far this season.

I think he's the reason why the PP QB isn't shooting much though. That isn't his style of play. I do expect the second D (Walman on PP2) to shoot if he's set up in the circle. Ghost probably won't shoot as much on PP1 now that he's the QB. We'll see how that works out.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
You write it like we have league's 10 very best offensive players, we have 1 or maybe 2 who can make AST
You do not need the league's 10 best offensive players to have a hot two week stretch on the pp. I'm glad it looks good so far, but I'm waiting for it to settle to the mean before I alter my, admittedly, low opinion on Tanguay.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
In another thread, a member stated Mo had hit a plateau (and that ASP was the only potential 1st round home run pick). Below is my response.

Plateaued? He came into the League and instantly began playing 22 plus minutes per game. However, what has changed going into his 3rd season is who he is playing against and the situations he is now placed. He is clearly the #1 d'man and, as such, consistently plays against the best forwards on the other team. Yet, even over this progression, his play hasn't slipped. In this season, at the 1/4 mark he is on track to have his best year in the NHL. How is that leveling off in play?

He is 22 and securely the #1 d'man on this team and top 20 in the League. Is he closing down the top lines? Yes. How do we know.... He is a plus 4 with 16 points in 23 games, averaging near 23 minutes a game.

He'll continue to improve.

Was he the steal of the draft? Hind sight is 20/20. The pick has been well discussed but since that time only 2 below him even merit a discussion. Zegras and Cozens. No d'man in this draft comes close, and Byram was selected before him.

Screwed in the lotto, again. Thin D group. Top 3 forwards gone (deservedly so) and the top rated D man taken. The Kings make a colossal blunder and take Turcotte. Wings come up to bat...... and hit a HOME RUN!

Reactions: LucaBrasil

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I hope he has a better partner next season. Defensive improvement and 50+ point season is a must for him next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad