Seider

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I guess the old thread was closed as it reached the max.

Anyhow, this kid is amazing and he is going to be our best player next season. I love watching him play. Definitely my favourite.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Going point-per-game.

1698399727057.png

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Kind of a slow start for Seider this season, especially defensively. He has had his production because of the powerplay but I think Seider can be much better than he has been. It might be the "Chiarot effect" again because Walman just hasn't been good to start the season so that certainly doesn't help. He'll figure it out for sure because even a "bad" Seider is still the best defenseman on this team, it just shows how good he is. I think he was really good last game so things seem to already be starting to fall into place. If Walman figures it out too, we're set and the playoffs are definitely in sight and it feels amazing to finally be able to say that without joking.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Kind of a slow start for Seider this season, especially defensively. He has had his production because of the powerplay but I think Seider can be much better than he has been. It might be the "Chiarot effect" again because Walman just hasn't been good to start the season so that certainly doesn't help. He'll figure it out for sure because even a "bad" Seider is still the best defenseman on this team, it just shows how good he is. I think he was really good last game so things seem to already be starting to fall into place. If Walman figures it out too, we're set and the playoffs are definitely in sight and it feels amazing to finally be able to say that without joking.
Honestly I think Walman just needs to cool it with his shot. A lot of rebounds have gone the other way and caught them flat footed and turned into odd man rushes.

Seider is figuring out his physical game. He hasn't quite developed that decision making yet between when he should play the body/ step up for a hit and when he shouldn't. He is clearly trying to add physicality back into his game, but his decision making just isn't instantaneous yet, and he's made some poor choices. Its part of being a young player and once he is able to properly incorporate physicality back into his game, he is going to be just that much harder to play against.

Love his play on the PP this year. He has been fantastic patrolling the puck and has had Lidstrom like keep ins.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Honestly I think Walman just needs to cool it with his shot. A lot of rebounds have gone the other way and caught them flat footed and turned into odd man rushes.

Seider is figuring out his physical game. He hasn't quite developed that decision making yet between when he should play the body/ step up for a hit and when he shouldn't. He is clearly trying to add physicality back into his game, but his decision making just isn't instantaneous yet, and he's made some poor choices. Its part of being a young player and once he is able to properly incorporate physicality back into his game, he is going to be just that much harder to play against.

Love his play on the PP this year. He has been fantastic patrolling the puck and has had Lidstrom like keep ins.
I feel like Seider tried to be overly physical in situations where he kept getting beat defensively and got frustrated. But yeah, I guess the decision making aspect of it is a fair observation but I thought he had it figured it out in his rookie year. He was taking the right decision of when to go physical almost every time, it was really impressive, so I'm not worried about that personally, I think he'll be fine very soon.

As for Walman, my issue right now is mostly his play with the puck in the defensive zone... so many turnovers on bad passes.

Last edited:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Completely agree. Also, he’s a pretty creative and inventive player when it comes to moving the puck out of the zone, and he’s tried some unconventional things that haven’t worked out. But that’s part of the learning curve with unique players. He’s figuring out what he can get away with at this level.

Have to reiterate your point about him on the PP. He’s been incredible back there. Calm and smooth with his puck distribution and full force with the zone keep-ins.

appiepi

Nov 17, 2021
I wish he would shoot more. In the preseason he scored some nice powerplay goals on one-timers from the top of the zone. It seems he is always deferring his shot now. I think he has it him to be a shooting threat. Its kind of the opposite for Walman who fires it every chance he gets. Kind of like the Chiarot situation last season, it seems like he is playing the more conservative defensive role while Walman is the risk-taker. Walman is playing well but inevitably will make more mistakes playing that aggressively.

Also Seider seems to be overly aggressive with his physical game and its less effective. Almost like he is just using his arms to maul the guy rather than use his whole body to check/pin the the opponent. It looks exhausting lol. Rarely does he actually make a hit. I think he will be more effective over time with this. Nonetheless, I am not worried. Overally he's been very good and better to start the season than last year.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I agree with the "on/off" part but I feel like when he starts to try force physical play he plays worse and wish he would just be physical when the time presents itself.

I feel like it his honestly him being smart with the choice of either physical or not physical and not a negative. Sometimes guys get carried away with playing tough and forget their assignment is to stop the puck from getting to the net.

In my opinion Seider has been quite good this year, and people are like expecting perfection with every single play which isn't true of any defender I have ever seen with the exception of Nick Lidstrom. Lidstrom would rarely make mistakes, but every other D man I have ever seen while some being HOF'ers and great D make the wrong play from time to time. Seider to me is doing exactly what I hoped he would do, and making smart plays in both ends about 95% of the time, with the occasional miss. I do wish he would shoot more as he does defer to others too much, and I think him shooting more would at least make him and our offence less predictable at times as on the PP they know Seider is likely not shooting.

Way too many GDT where people are complaining about Seider, when I don't think he has had any game I would say he was bad. There was one where he wasn't great, but he was still solid.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Why does Larkin spring to mind all of a sudden.....?

Not at all bud. Larkin is a legit 1C, but he's not elite aside from his speed. I have said he's a 1C all along, but when compared to McDavid, not even Crosby (in current form) is elite.

Seider is a legit first pair D, I have never thought he's elite. Oddly, I thought his leveraging ability was elite the rookie season, but he seems to have lost some of it. Not sure how that happens.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
We are still spoiled by having had Lidstrom. We have come to expect perfection. It really shows how good Lidstrom really was.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Holl leads the team with +7

Seider is second worse with -4

Chiarot is +4

Even Walman, Seider's normal partner, is +1

Seider needs to relax and play his game. Stop trying to be physical. Take it when it's there, sure, but focus on being positionally sound. Keep the game in front of him.

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022
Holl leads the team with +7

Seider is second worse with -4

Chiarot is +4

Even Walman, Seider's normal partner, is +1

Seider needs to relax and play his game. Stop trying to be physical. Take it when it's there, sure, but focus on being positionally sound. Keep the game in front of him.
And he needs to actually shoot the puck on the pp because otherwise teams will figure out the pp every time as the season goes on.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad