• St. Louis Blues

• Edmonton Oilers

• Calgary Flames

• Vegas Golden Knights

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Colorado is quite clearly still the team to beat in the West. But who do people think will be the second best team? I think there are 5 teams with a reasonable shot, other teams have the chance to be better than the ones I’ve included but I don’t think they have the ceiling of 2nd best in the west.

Minnesota Wild
On of the best 5v5 teams in the league last year, as well as being the second best team in the regular season. Kaprizov is an absolute game changer as well.

St. Louis Blues
One of the deepest forward groups in the league, and their youngsters like Thomas and Kyrou are only going to get better. Also gave Colorado their hardest test in the west during last years playoffs.

Edmonton Oilers
Conference finalists from last season, has the best player in league, one of the best offensive groups in the league, and is still rumored to be doing more moves.

Calgary Flames
Biggest question mark going into this season, as they were right in the running to do it last regular season, but have since underwent a complete overhaul. Has the potential to be a much better team next year but also much worse.

Vegas Golden Knights
Probably the least likely from this group, but pending how they sort out their goaltending going into next year it could be the first time they’ve managed to ice their team to its fullest potential.

Reactions: McJedi

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Hard to say it’s pretty wide open. Could be Flames, Blues, or maybe even a team like Dallas has a big bounce back year.

The Oilers defence + goaltending is just so weak it’s hard to consider them a threat.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I dunno about comfortably, because Oilers gonna Oiler.

But I think the McDavid factor is just too strong to disagree with you.

We’re at the point now where Edmonton has a pretty good roster around McDavid and Draisaitl.

I wouldn’t be too surprised if they led the West in points. They really just need some small improvements on defence. Some of that will come from the internal growth of guys like Bouchard and Broberg, and I think they’ll add a top-4 guy at the deadline. They already have everything a team could want at forward.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Close between Calgary and Edmonton, I think with moves today CGY is a more complete team (especially on D). I know this did not exactly ring true in the playoffs but this Q is for the upcoming year

Reactions: Haatley

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
We’re at the point now where Edmonton has a pretty good roster around McDavid and Draisaitl.

I wouldn’t be too surprised if they led the West in points. They really just need some small improvements on defence. Some of that will come from the internal growth of guys like Bouchard and Broberg, and I think they’ll add a top-4 guy at the deadline. They already have everything a team could want at forward.
I do agree. I think the whole two man show narrative is just tired trolling at this point. Defense is definitely going to make or break them.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers win percentage under Woodcroft was pretty sky high last year and the guy didn't even have a training camp or even a full practise before being thrown into games, lol.

.724% win percentage under Jay Woodcroft

Colorado under Bednar: .726% win percentage
Flames under Sutter: .677% win percentage
Blues under Berube .665% win percentage

Reactions: HitterD

Love

Feb 29, 2012
again, 11th in the league after the coaching change
Ok so the conversation is just about whether the Oilers are the 120 point team they were under Woodcroft or the fringe playoff team they were before him. You seem fairly confident that they are the 120 point team. My opinion is they’re probably somewhere in the middle.

I think they’re a good but not great team. I do not think their goaltending or defence is anywhere near what a stanley cup winning team ought to be.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Campbell is likely an upgrade on the wildly up and down 40 year old Smith and Koskinen.
Outside of a 3 month Vezina worthy run last season, Campbell has been wildly up and down his whole career as well. He seems mentally fragile and his highs are high and his lows are very low. He should be an upgrade but there’s now guarantee. Leafs are a better overall team than the oilers and better defensively. Who knows he might win the Vezina but I doubt it. With the city change it’s pretty much out of the frying pan and into the fire. Media still going to be tough especially with the Expectation for Mcdavid and the oilers to do well.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Outside of a 3 month Vezina worthy run last season, Campbell has been wildly up and down his whole career as well. He seems mentally fragile and his highs are high and his lows are very low. He should be an upgrade but there’s now guarantee. Leafs are a better overall team than the oilers and better defensively. Who knows he might win the Vezina but I doubt it. With the city change it’s pretty much out of the frying pan and into the fire. Media still going to be tough especially with the Expectation for Mcdavid and the oilers to do well.

Actually he was pretty good the season before too. He had a bad stretch in Toronto yes but also had a rib injury, before that he was being hyped for the Vezina here. He doesn't need to win the Vezina here, just be better than Koskinen for one.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I wouldn’t have the confidence to lay money on it 2-5. But I think these will be your playoff teams.

Avs
Blues
Flames
Oilers
Kings
Wild
Vegas
Dallas
________
Nashville
Vancouver
Anaheim