Seattle _____ ? - They registered 13 potential names today. Your preference?

Your preference? Seattle _____?

• Total voters

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Rainiers makes the most sense.

What do the others have to do with Washington/Seattle?

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I've liked Kraken ever since that guy posted a thread on here a few years back, totems is okay I guess, it would be nice to pay some homage to the Native Americans of the Northwest Coast, lots of amazing culture out there.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If they don't do the Kraken and work with that HFB guy who put together an entire marketing line for them I'll be disappointed. It would be such a cool story.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Emeralds is my preference. Kraken is exceptionally goofy and juvenile. Like "Predators" or "Wild", i'm sure i'd get used to it eventually...but that won't stop all my derisive scoffs every time it's mentioned for the first few years.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Went with Sockeyes because it would be hilarious! Personally, if it was my team I’d go Renegades

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Man, and I thought naming a team the Golden Knights was bad. These are all markedly worse. Totems and Kraken from that list are the only ones my mind doesn't recoil at.

Why not the Seattle Grunge, they can wear flannel jerseys and play exclusively regional music from the 90s. Only half joking.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Rainiers makes the most sense.

What do the others have to do with Washington/Seattle?

Not sure if serious and someone from Seattle can probably answer this better than I can but

1. Cougars - Cougars are common in the Pacific NW (and some other parts of western USA, Canada, and Mexico). Plus, maybe it will be a draw to Washington State fans, since the cougar is their mascot.

"Today viable, breeding cougar populations are found in just the sixteen states of Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, South Dakota, North Dakota, Texas, and Florida. In most of these states, cougars are the only species of native large carnivore that survived extermination programs."

State by State

2. Eagle - SAA except eagles are in more states. Still, they're relatively common in the Seattle area.

Bald Eagle Facts - NatureMapping

3. Emeralds - Seattle is the Emerald City bc of all the rain. It's been a nickname for at least decades.

4. Evergreens - Lots of trees there. The whole early Pacific NW economy was based on logging and Seattle was a mainly logging town. It's a not only a nod to their current ecology but also their history.

History of Seattle before 1900 - Wikipedia

5, 6 & 7. Sea lions ,seals, and whales. See #2

8. Sockeyes - They range from the Columbia River in Washington/Oregon border (and very rarely down to Northern California) to the Canadian Artic/Siberia and then down to Japan in the Western Pacific. Although it has a fairly large range, the number of highly populated areas in NA where they're common is very limited. Seattle (and Vancouver) would be one of the very few cities where naming a team the Sockeyes would make sense (from the perspective of actually having those animals in that area).

Sockeye salmon - Wikipedia

Raniers make sense, too, as you said.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
1. Kraken
2. Sockeyes
3. Emeralds
4. Totems
5. Seals
6. Sea Lions
7. Evergreens
8. Cougars
9. Whales
10. Eagles
11. Firebirds
12. Rainiers
13. Renegades

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
plagiarise game of thrones

and have theon greyjoy as the mascot

call it a day

could be cool. it's an amazing logo and would make for good color combos.

greyjoy-2-hockey-jersey-design-davesgeekyhockey-dave-delisle.png

game-of-thrones-greyjoy-hockey-jersey-design-dave-delisle-2012-davesgeekyhockey.png

Reactions: Ainec

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Kraken gets my vote by a long shot. Big fan of that potential name actually, the logo should be awesome.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Sockeyes? What the hell...

I'm going with Emeralds. Honestly not even sure I like a single name besides that. Rainiers?! What the hell is that even a word?

I actually do like Seattle Rain. Sounds kinda like an MLS name though.

Emerald City Rain?

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Having iterated "THE SEATTLE [NAMES] ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS" in Gary Thorne's voice in my head for each choice, I'm going with Emeralds.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Sockeyes? What the hell...

I'm going with Emeralds. Honestly not even sure I like a single name besides that. Rainiers?! What the hell is that even a word?

I actually do like Seattle Rain. Sounds kinda like an MLS name though.

Emerald City Rain?
Mt Rainier is a mountain very close by to the city. Holds a lot of relevance in the area.

Reactions: SotasicA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad