Seattle _____ ? - They registered 13 potential names today. Your preference?

Your preference? Seattle _____?

• Total voters

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
No matter which side you are on with appropriating Native American stuff into sports, respectfully done or not, haven't we seen enough to think that going with Totem is a bad idea?

Kraken is fantastic.

Yup. No matter how carefully they do it, someone is going to feel like they got the shaft.

Reactions: wintersej

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
People who think Kraken is a dumb name what do you think of the New Jersey Devils? They were named after this cryptozoological creature:

Nj_devil_notgreyscale.png

Reactions: whitstifier

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Having been a Duck fan from the beginning, people seemed to either love it or hate it. It was definitely iconic, in its own way, and people instantly recognized it because a lot of people enjoyed the movie as kids, or had kids who did.

What do you mean enjoyed the movie as kids? The movie came out in 1992, the team in 1993-94.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
What do you mean enjoyed the movie as kids? The movie came out in 1992, the team in 1993-94.

And? A 7 year old watched the movie. An 8 year old watched the team. In 2003, a 17/18 year old watched them go to the Cup Finals on the back of a fantastic goaltending run.

Which part of this do you not understand?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
And? A 7 year old watched the movie. An 8 year old watched the team. In 2003, a 17/18 year old watched them go to the Cup Finals on the back of a fantastic goaltending run.

Which part of this do you not understand?

Mainly your extreme arrogance is difficult to understand.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Mainly your extreme arrogance is difficult to understand.

There was no arrogance in that post, Ferris.

You made it sound as if you didn’t understand the point I was trying to make, so I explained it.

I can be plenty arrogant. This just wasn’t one of those times. I was one of those kids. I can tell you exactly what it was like, because I experienced it. I saw others experience it.

The Disney model is appealing to kids to draw in money. That’s what they did with the organization. It’s also why the Samueli’s needed to make it more “adult” when they bought the organization. The kids who grew up watching the team, and who were drawn to it through the movie, were growing up.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Every time I try to picture the Firebirds branding I wish the Flames didn't already have it.

Every time I picture Firebirds I think of this:

190067_Misc_8460d1d8-8727-44ea-9625-479a94a56cd9_Web.jpg

It's a generational thing. ;)

My two favorites are Kracken and Supersonics. I would immediately buy gear.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
A lot of people commented on the names like Sockeyes, Evergreens, Emeralds, Totems, Rainiers, ect... really show a lot of ignorance towards the Pacific Northwest and what kinds of things people up here associate with where we live.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
How it’s broken down so far....

Tier 1: Kraken

Tier 2: Firbirds

Tier 3: Emeralds, Evergreens, Renagades, Sockeyes

Tier 4: Sea Lions, Seals, Totem.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
For me, Kraken is fantastic obviously. Really like the Firebirds as well. Besides those 2 there's not much separation in the rest of them.

Rainiers would be cool as well. Those would be my Top 3 choices.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
A lot of people commented on the names like Sockeyes, Evergreens, Emeralds, Totems, Rainiers, ect... really show a lot of ignorance towards the Pacific Northwest and what kinds of things people up here associate with where we live.

What would you name the team?

It's pretty common for team names to be stereotypes that don't neatly apply on closer inspection.

Would love to have locals more involved in naming teams. The Vegas process was a sham.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
What would you name the team?

It's pretty common for team names to be stereotypes that don't neatly apply on closer inspection.

Would love to have locals more involved in naming teams. The Vegas process was a sham.
I like Totems, a lot of history there. Some aviation related like Pilots or Bombers would work too.

Kraken is interesting and unique, that's for sure. It's a little more out there than I think the NHL tends to go, so I don't see it as likely.

Reactions: whitstifier

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I like Totems, a lot of history there. Some aviation related like Pilots or Bombers would work too.

Kraken is interesting and unique, that's for sure. It's a little more out there than I think the NHL tends to go, so I don't see it as likely.

Eh, not at all a fan of Totems. You can't really honor natives with a professional sports team name. It's just poor taste to profit off a cultural caricature.

I'd be into your other suggestions

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Eh, not at all a fan of Totems. You can't really honor natives with a professional sports team name. It's just poor taste to profit off a cultural caricature.

I'd be into your other suggestions
It wouldn't be a caricature at all. First of all it wouldn't be using a face, body or likeness of a person in any way. And assuming they don't completely **** up the logo, don't really see it being an issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad