Season prediction for our boys

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think the playoffs are at risk this year due to a few factors.

1. Pavs shits the bed. Hank has to play 60 plus games and fatigues. Rangers can't get a backup.
  2. The metro switches to zone d, rangers struggle to score 5v5, lots of 3 point games cause CAR and NYI to keep things close until goaltending word catch up in March
  3. Rangers put their fate on a bunch of guys that don't show up every game, Nash, Zibs are in and out through the year.
  4. Hayes struggles as the shutdown center, AV stubborns up and refuses to play JT in the middle.
  5. Deharnais gives a great effort before his body fails him by July.
I think that will end up happening, and the goalies don't steal enough games to make a tangible difference.

AV gets fired.

Rangers hire Quennville or Trotz depending on availability.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I’m concerned. I like the long term vision but I am worried about the goaltending, depth up the middle and penalty killing. I like most of the offseason moves but I still think Gorton did not get full value (or even close) for Stepan.

The way the schedule sets up, the Rangers need to get out of the gate fast. Failing that, it could become a difficult season.

I dunno, I though Gorton got quite a bit of value for Steps and Raanta. We got a stud #1 PP QB right handed shot dman we desperately needed in Shatty. We never would have had the cap space to sign Shatty if we didn't rid ourselves of Steps hefty contract.

We got a kid in DeAngelo who if he keeps his nose clean and his pie hole shut, has some uber talent and looks to be a Top 4 guy down the road. I could stop right there and would have thought Gorton got enough value for Steps and Raanta.

But we also got the draft slot where we could draft Lias, who if preseason is any indication of what his future looks like, I think we are definitely looking at a future top 6 guy if not a #1 center when all is said and done.

Like I said and I guess we'll agree to disagree but I'm not sure Gorton could have possibly done any better than he did or gotten more than what we got for sending Steps and Raanta to the 'Yotes.....:)

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Finally some fruit cocktails & ice in the press and Brooks save us - less than 48 hours until puck drop in MSG. :)

Last edited:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Goaltending will be our weakness again this year.
Again? It has been our strength for over a decade now! ;)
Henrik & Price are among the best goalies in the league - while Talbot had a good last year with Oilers. ))

Reactions: Maximus

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If Lias turns into a legit 1C who will win Selke’s I think the conversation would be different, but on the surface I would have liked an additional asset from the Coyotes for Stepan and Raanta

Coyotes fans are talking about how great it is to have a 1C now, but I’m not sure Stepans return was that of a 1C being traded

Just my thoughts though

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This year sets them up for next year. Full season Chytil & Andersson and (hopefully) a new coach gets them over the top.

As for this year it’s strange because the East is competitive but everyone has warts. It will be tough for Pens to 3peat. CBJ has a lot of sophomores and year two Torts effect. WSH is worse. The Atlantic teams are uninspiring. If this break right the Rangers can certainly make a run. I think a lot depends on what happens at the deadline and who is hungriest for Duchene; that could be the move that makes the difference. Tampa might be the most dangerous though, but can you really believe in Stamkos health and Dan Girardi, especially if Stralman isn’t 100%

I don’t think anyone in the West is all that great either.

Reactions: Maximus

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Again? It has been our strength for over a decade now! ;)
Henrik & Price are among the best goalies in the league - while Talbot had a good last year with Oilers. ))

You watch Hank last year? He was one of the worst stsrting goalies in the nhl. Stats don’t lie. Great series against Montreal then went right back to garbage against Ottawa. There’s a reason everyone is saying he needs a bounce back season. If not for Raanta we prob don’t make the playoffs last year.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
This year sets them up for next year. Full season Chytil & Andersson and (hopefully) a new coach gets them over the top.

As for this year it’s strange because the East is competitive but everyone has warts. It will be tough for Pens to 3peat. CBJ has a lot of sophomores and year two Torts effect. WSH is worse. The Atlantic teams are uninspiring. If this break right the Rangers can certainly make a run. I think a lot depends on what happens at the deadline and who is hungriest for Duchene; that could be the move that makes the difference. Tampa might be the most dangerous though, but can you really believe in Stamkos health and Dan Girardi, especially if Stralman isn’t 100%

I don’t think anyone in the West is all that great either.

Terrific post Savant. Agree 1000% with your take.

As you say, it really is kind of odd that so many good teams in not just the Metro but Atlantic as well all have their flaws. It's this exact reasoning why I think we have as good a shot to make it to the ECF and who knows maybe the Cup finals, as anyone else.

Things certinaly would have to go very right for us and like I said in a previous post, probably planets need to align for us to get to the Cup finals but it's certainly not out of the question. I will say this, I'd be more surprised tho if this Ranger team presently constituted missed the playoffs all together than making the Cup finals.

Bottom line, I think we are in for a really fun and exciting regular season. After that, who the heck knows. One things for damn sure, glad tho to be part of the best and most knowledgeable fanbase in not just hockey but all of sports.... :)

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I think Pavelec will be the worst backup goaltender here in quite some time and AV will end up afraid to use him. Whether Hank holds up is the most important factor. The team is also depending on Buchnevich, Nash, Vesey, and Hayes improving, and Chytil seamlessly stepping in. That's a lot of things to hope for.

Expect them to make the playoffs, though, and all that matters is how you're playing in April.

Guessing the Finals will have Edmonton against Tampa Bay or Columbus.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I think Pavelec will be the worst backup goaltender here in quite some time and AV will end up afraid to use him. Whether Hank holds up is the most important factor. The team is also depending on Buchnevich, Nash, Vesey, and Hayes improving, and Chytil seamlessly stepping in. That's a lot of things to hope for.

Expect them to make the playoffs, though, and all that matters is how you're playing in April.

Guessing the Finals will have Edmonton against Tampa Bay or Columbus.

I'm hoping and praying your wrong about Pavelec. From my observations of watching Pavs quite a bit over the years via the Center Ice package, mostly due to having owned him a few years in my longtime fantasy league, I see a talented guy who pretty much his whole career has played behind one of the worst defensive teams in the sport year after year after year.

I'm not sure any goalie could have had much better stats than Pavs has had playing on the Thrashers/Jets over the years. I'm going to go with the eyeball test and say that now that he'll be playing behind by far the best defensive group he's ever played with combined with the "Benny Alaire" effect, Pavs will end up being solid for us and will give Hank the breathers he needs while winning hockey games for us.

Would I much rather have had Gorton brought Anders Nilsson here to back up Hank? No question about it as Nilsson would have been perfect. But bringing in Pavs just like the bringing in of Deshanais, a guy who I think will be the Grabner of 2017 -18 for us, will both end up being moves by Gorton that we will all look back upon and say "dang...Gorton did it again getting under the radar guys who end up over achieving".

We'll see soon enough won't we?

Reactions: NYR Lurker

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I honestly don’t think pavelec is here to play a lot barring injury to hank. I think the plan this year is to play hank more than he’s played the last few years. I think it’s easier especially when older to stay loose and comfortable when u stay in a rhythm. Think hanks downturn has come with the lesser game load and age of course

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I honestly don’t think pavelec is here to play a lot barring injury to hank. I think the plan this year is to play hank more than he’s played the last few years. I think it’s easier especially when older to stay loose and comfortable when u stay in a rhythm. Think hanks downturn has come with the lesser game load and age of course

I'm buying what your selling Kovie...I am. I agree that the plan is to play Hank as much as he can handle. The weight loss and him coming into camp in great shape was likely Hank's way of saying the he's ready for a bigger load and that he plans on doing whatever it takes to stay relatively injury free and have a vintage Hank type year.

Lord knows we need this to occur for our success and I do think it will. I said this a few months ago and will say it again. Hank's competitiveness is legendary. And I think he's coming into this season with a bit of a chip on his shoulder to show any of his detractors that last season's poor performance was a fluke....a blip on the radar screen. And so I really would be shocked if Hank doesn't have a very good season....much better than last.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'm hoping and praying your wrong about Pavelec. From my observations of watching Pavs quite a bit over the years via the Center Ice package, mostly due to having owned him a few years in my longtime fantasy league, I see a talented guy who pretty much his whole career has played behind one of the worst defensive teams in the sport year after year after year.

I'm not sure any goalie could have had much better stats than Pavs has had playing on the Thrashers/Jets over the years. I'm going to go with the eyeball test and say that now that he'll be playing behind by far the best defensive group he's ever played with combined with the "Benny Alaire" effect, Pavs will end up being solid for us and will give Hank the breathers he needs while winning hockey games for us.

Would I much rather have had Gorton brought Anders Nilsson here to back up Hank? No question about it as Nilsson would have been perfect. But bringing in Pavs just like the bringing in of Deshanais, a guy who I think will be the Grabner of 2017 -18 for us, will both end up being moves by Gorton that we will all look back upon and say "dang...Gorton did it again getting under the radar guys who end up over achieving".

We'll see soon enough won't we?

Let’s not forget that Nilsson was over 1m more than Pavelec and wanted the chance at a starting job. Rangers couldn’t offer that.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Let’s not forget that Nilsson was over 1m more than Pavelec and wanted the chance at a starting job. Rangers couldn’t offer that.

Yup I do recall that. At time was hoping he'd take 1.25 or so from us and what he ended up with 2 mill or so offer sheet from the 'Nucks. Gorton couldn't go there and so he got the booby prize in Pavelec. We just have to hope that my theory of Pavs playing behind the best defensive back end he's ever played behind in his life combined with Benny does the trick....finger crossed.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
depends on if our coach is an idiot...a moron, or just flat out brain dead.

we can overcome a lot of his stupidity and make the playoffs...i dont know if we can overcome an even further shift into the land of make believe that he lives in.

Reactions: yrrebbor

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Ehhhhh I say bubble team... as others have mentioned too much rides on players who don't show often enough. The defense will move the puck when they have it but will they have it enough? I say they make it in as a wildcard and maybe win 1 round

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I think the playoffs are at risk this year due to a few factors.

1. Pavs ****s the bed. Hank has to play 60 plus games and fatigues. Rangers can't get a backup.
  2. The metro switches to zone d, rangers struggle to score 5v5, lots of 3 point games cause CAR and NYI to keep things close until goaltending word catch up in March
  3. Rangers put their fate on a bunch of guys that don't show up every game, Nash, Zibs are in and out through the year.
  4. Hayes struggles as the shutdown center, AV stubborns up and refuses to play JT in the middle.
  5. Deharnais gives a great effort before his body fails him by July.
I think that will end up happening, and the goalies don't steal enough games to make a tangible difference.

AV gets fired.

Rangers hire Quennville or Trotz depending on availability.

1) Then let's hope we get a high pick!
2) Would love to have Coach Q

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I don’t like Pavelec either, and I was hoping to get Anders Nilsson. I think we’ll be a wild card team, but we’re going to have some rough patches dispersed throughout the season between the goaltending and young kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad