Season prediction for our boys

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The team has limitations and question marks for sure. If what we saw last year out of Henke was the beginning of his decline, the Rangers have absolutely no chance. I say that because AV' system seems to be predicated on the goalie standing on his head on most nights. Will AV adjust? That may be what determined the ultimate success of this team.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Think the Rangers make the playoffs again, but how far they go depends on the obvious, how good can Hank be, but if they can provide that scoring depth. Also. with the Defense upgraded, think they will be able to get a little further this time around. But like someone said, how will the Center depth be? That is certainly an issue with no Stepan, but maybe this Chytil kid can replace a some of that production.

As per some individuals, Hoping for big seasons from Mika, Kreider, and Nash. Think they have a lot to prove. Especially Mika if he can take on the 1C role. I think these guys can be anywhere between 50 and 60 points. With Nash maybe closer to 50 points, an

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If AV again displays a disregard to what it actually happening on the ice as opposed to what he drew up on the board, this team goes nowhere. If he cannot change his system to help Henke as opposed to rely on him to be the best player on the ice each night, this team goes nowhere.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`m more positive about next year @True Blue , but I was wrong about Lias A. earlier in this year training camp - I thought he would get 9 games before he was sent home to Sweden. And I might miss here as well related to our season prediction. :)

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
If AV again displays a disregard to what it actually happening on the ice as opposed to what he drew up on the board, this team goes nowhere. If he cannot change his system to help Henke as opposed to rely on him to be the best player on the ice each night, this team goes nowhere.

Agreed. Luckily, I think this roster is much more "AV proof" than it was last year.

Reactions: Maximus

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Second round elimination sounds right. I don't expect a stellar season, but we should still make the playoffs relatively comfortably, given our revamped defense and capable four lines. Stepan was good, no doubt, but I'm confident that Hayes could match his production -- given enough ice time. So, all in all, I'm as confident that we'll make the playoffs as I am confident that we won't get very far in them.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Same prediction as last year: make the playoffs in the 6-8 spot (6-10 in the east will be a fight all season), win one playoff round if the matchup is right, won't get out of the 2nd round

Reactions: Ori

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Winger depth among best in the league, defense is well above average, goaltending is average. Centers are an abomination and the ultimate weak link on the team.

I think we comfortably make the playoffs, but probably lose to the Caps/Pens in the 1st round. AV probably gets fired.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
A similar year to last year is on the cards. The team addressed the main problem from last season, but created a whole new problem in doing so.

Also, there is still Marc Staal, and there is still AV.

Playoffs. Glimpses of promise, but ultimately another year wasted... probably because of AV playing the wrong people at the wrong time and benching anybody useful.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Hank is an easy candidate for a bounce-back year. Brodeur, Hasek, Roy... these HoF goalies play well into their 40s and are still elite in their mid-30s. He's certainly got a lot left in the tank.

Defense... you are talking about a defense that was giving big minutes last year to Girardi, Klein, and Staal. Now Staal is on the 3rd pairing while Shattenkirk, Skjei, and Smith are reaping the benefits of that ice time.

Offense is still deep and probably the best in the league on wing.

1st or 2nd in the Metro... the slayers of the Pengu... meet Edmonton in the Final.

Reactions: Blueshirt Special

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
This is the first season in quite some time where I really don't know what to expect. Our back end and wing depth is scary. Our down the middle depth is scary bad unless one of our young 'uns exceeds expectations.

Battle for the last playoff spot, IMHO.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Our wingers got better and our Defense got much, much better; also we had Zib get injured last year, can't assume he misses half a year again, and Hayes is a year older (in a good way), and DD could likely be better than regular season Lindberg (to offset all thoughs talking about Lundqvist being a year older and Stepan being traded).

Reactions: Maximus

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
2nd or 3rd in the Metro, despite being the worst home ice team in the NHL to clinch a playoff spot.

Pittsburgh, NYR, Washington, Columbus will be in a dog fight for the top of the division. The difference between 1st and 4th will be only 6 points.

Whenever the Rangers play Pittsburgh is when they'll get bounced from the playoffs. Crosby and Malkin will eat Zibanejad and Hayes for lunch, and that will be the difference in the end.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
We're going to be one of, if not the best road team in the league. Again.

It's because our away jerseys are the best in the league. I tell ya, it gives them powers.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Defense... you are talking about a defense that was giving big minutes last year to Girardi, Klein, and Staal. Now Staal is on the 3rd pairing while Shattenkirk, Skjei, and Smith are reaping the benefits of that ice time.
You would like to think so, but history shows that it will not necessarily the worst players that "get lost on the bench".

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
The cynic in me thinks similar year to 2013 due to over reliance on younger guys stepping up.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Brooksie

You go through the Top Fifty lists and maybe, just maybe, Ryan McDonagh will turn up somewhere in the high 40s, but probably not. Or maybe in one of the lists compiled by possession-number freaks, Kevin Shattenkirk will get a similar designation. But that’s it, even if that’s a stretch.

The fact is the Rangers, who have been pretty-pretty-pretty-pretty good for a pretty-pretty-pretty-pretty long time without anything but a single finals appearance and single first-overall to show for it, don’t have a singular, dynamic game-changer in the lineup in this era of singular, dynamic game-changers across the NHL landscape.

Prediction

The Rangers burst out of the gate in each of the last two seasons, 13-4 last year off a dazzling offensive outburst and 14-2-2 two years ago on the back of Lundqvist’s best start of his career. Playing 10 of the first 13 at the Garden this time, they will need that boost again. The Blueshirts could go either way here. If the centers can’t handle it, Shattenkirk can’t handle the first pair and Lundqvist fades, the party will be over. If, however, more players than not take the next step and Lundqvist reasserts himself, the Rangers will be formidable. I’m saying there will be enough of the latter to ensure an eighth straight playoff berth.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/03/rangers-preview-the-only-sure-thing-isnt-so-sure/

They need to get off to another great start. They play 25% of their home schedule in October.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
My good prediction:

The team kills it again this year but the Metro is insane so they win a wild card spot. They get to the Eastern Conference Final on the backs of one of the best top 4 defenses in the league, a top 5 powerplay and Hank not having traffic cones in front of him. Also, Zibby gets to 65 points, with Kreider hitting 30 goals. Buch hit 45 points playing in the top 6.

My bad prediction (although depending on how you look at it, might be good):

The team comes out of the gate and is on fire, but Hank gets injured and Pavelec can't handle the weight of starting. The defense is good, but goaltending is terrible without Hank. They are on the outside looking in around the deadline, so they move Nash and Grabner for futures. However, the team picks it up towards the end of the season, and the they miss a playoff spot by a couple points. (a mashup of the Blues and Flyers seasons last year). They traded Nash for a 1st rounder, and because they missed the playoffs, the teams 1st rounder has a chance to be a lottery pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad