Season prediction for our boys

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Ok fellas, pre-season is over and regular season is on tap this coming Wednesday vs the 'Lanche. Haven't been around as much as usual and I know y'all have missed me(lol) but season is about to start and it's time to start hanging with my goombas again...hah.

From what you've seen with the off season additions and now preseason, where is your head at at the moment and where you think our Rongo's are headed this season?

My take? So glad you asked....:). I like what I've seen quite a bit. I think pretty much all of Gorton's off season moves were excellent. The signing of Shatty, resigning of Smitty, getting rid of Girardi's contract, the dealing of Steps and Raanta for DeAngelo, Lias and the cap space to sign Shatty will prove to be savvy when all is said and done. Signing Desharnais might up being one of the more underrated moves of the summer. Drafting Chytil looks pretty damn good.

All in all I think our offense for the regular season will be just fine despite the slight void in the middle with no Steps. I think GMJG will address that issue later in the season if it proves to be too much of a hindrance. Our backend is expotentially better than last year...not a question about it. Pavelic seems like he'll be OK. We'll find out soon enough but tho he might not be as en fuego as Raanta, I do think Pavs will perform better here in NY than he did in Winnipeg seeing he's never ever had a defense in front of him as good as the one he'll have now here.

I'm thinking so long as Hanky plays like he's capable of, this team we've got here is a definite playoff team and if the planets align as hopefully it will, we should be playing in the ECF come middle to late May as we get into the dance as the #2 behind the Penguins but ahead of the Jackets(#3 seed) and the Caps(#1 WC).

What say you my Ranger brothers? Break out your crystal balls. Where do you think we are headed this season?

Bricho

Jan 23, 2013
Hank starts showing his age...misses a good amount of time due to injury. They'll play solid hockey beating the teams they should beat, staying competitive against the best in the league. That said, unless they make some major moves by the deadline, there are no big game performers on this team. I don't see anyone stepping up during the playoffs..Nash? Kreider? Mika? Probably not. So it'll be another second round exit again this year. That's how I see it.

Reactions: Zats Muccarello

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Where do you think we are headed this season?

tenor.gif

Reactions: Krams

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
What say you my Ranger brothers? Break out your crystal balls. Where do you think we are headed this season?
In all seriousness, I see us finishing #2 or even #1 in the metro, assuming we don’t run into major injury trouble, and Hank plays well. Feel the penguins have too many defensive issues to dominate like last year. Should be a fun season to watch

Last edited:
Reactions: Maximus

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Roster is good. Can’t ask much more from Gorton. This season is totally in the hands of AV. 2013-2014 AV and this is a legit contender. Ottawa AV (which is what it looks like we’re getting based on preseason) and it’s gonna be rough.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I’m concerned. I like the long term vision but I am worried about the goaltending, depth up the middle and penalty killing. I like most of the offseason moves but I still think Gorton did not get full value (or even close) for Stepan.

The way the schedule sets up, the Rangers need to get out of the gate fast. Failing that, it could become a difficult season.

Reactions: yrrebbor and Ori

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I want to say that this should be a transition year but so was last year and we had 100 points and should have been in the ECF. Does our better D trump our worse center depth?

Reactions: Ori

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I want to say that this should be a transition year but so was last year and we had 100 points and should have been in the ECF. Does our better D trump our worse center depth?

Transition year doesn't necessarily mean a poor year. You can be a good team and still be in transition. It just means we aren't quite there to compete.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I’m concerned. I like the long term vision but I am worried about the goaltending, depth up the middle and penalty killing. I like most of the offseason moves but I still think Gorton did not get full value (or even close) for Stepan.

The way the schedule sets up, the Rangers need to get out of the gate fast. Failing that, it could become a difficult season.

I do think we are a slightly better team than last year's one. We will miss Stepan defensively but not offensively because we a) have young players to step up and b) will have more offense generated from the back end.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We will miss Stepan for sure this year - it`s a player who have produced on average above 50 pts. - DeAngelo won`t replace that production even though he will be good for us no doubts this season and in the future. And Lias A. was sent home to get a top 6 role experience. I doubt Gorton will do any major trade moves until 2018 summer window and draft - unless we crash below mid-table due to lack of center depth, or worst case scenario JT Miller experiment did not work out that well, and Chytil is sent home after 9 games. DD have less size than Zucc in a center position - so we need to keep Kreider & Miller now based on size and physics attributes.

Gorton aimed for the future this summer and we climbed +6 positions on a power ranking NHL farms to #23 - so when can we realistically contend for the Stanley cup? I`ve a notion we need to hit on our #1 draft pick next summer - hopefully a winger in a sniper role who is good at finish plays.
So it`s hard to predict this year 2017-18 season and it`s unknown what is going to happen.. Maybe Glenn Sather and Gorton were involved in the season expectation evaluation process this year, but I fear we will miss playoffs even if JT Miller is somewhat successful in a center role. We can`t replace Stepan 50 pts. production and Gorton did not do anything with instant impact this year - he build for the future with DeAngelo, Chytil and Lias. The key player is Kevin Shattenkirk - he is under a lot of pressure this year to perform and produce for us.

I`m positive that Gorton is aware of this, and tweeted he might look for other depth options, but I don`t see a Matt Duchence caliber move this year unless they manage to move Rick Nash`s contract.
We`ve Lindy Ruff as a new defensive coach and he might replace AV this year since it can be difficult to combine Lindy & AV designed systems - Lindy might have different opinions concerning strategies. There are question marks if Gorton can move AV`s toy M. Staal since he rely too much on him in last year playoffs for instant to protect a lead against Ottawa, and we all know what happened.

Lastly I wish we reach playoffs as usual, but realistically I believe we will have a new coach and system in place with Lindy, and +1 year might be a huge impact with our promising youth players and difference for us and we will certainly help us achieve a much better table position next year 2018-19 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: yrrebbor

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
If I said right now, with team we have we get to the ECF and lose, do you sign up for that? Or would you be pissed off? Me personally, I'd sign up for it seeing I don't quite seeing us as true Cup contenders. But if we can win two rounds and give whoever it is we'd play in the ECF a scare, I think I'd sign up for it right now and than next year we add a few more pieces to help in the middle, we won't have Staal, Nash, Holden...etc. Only thing that would worry me would be something we've never really had to worry about in 13 years.....and that would be our goaltending. Does Hank have another 2-3 solid years left in him?

That my friends, I am not so sure about tho maybe next year Shepy would be ready to take on a bigger role.

Reactions: Hire Sather and Ori

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Depends on whether or not the rally to euthanize Staal succeeds

I don't know if you are serious, but unless Staal is playing big minutes, I hope when this team doesn't win the Stanley Cup (because the chances aren't very likely, aren't likely for any team, 1/31), that he's not the main culprit for getting blamed.

He's definitely a bad NHL player at this point, and a problem, but he's likely to play a smaller role, and that would make him a smaller problem. Its hard to exactly forecast what the main problem could be (struggles at center, offense regressing, defense struggling defensively, goaltending struggling), but whatever it is, this team's success or lack there of will likely not hinge on the team's 6D. If Staal is the 2D, thats another story.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
I don't know if you are serious, but unless Staal is playing big minutes, I hope when this team doesn't win the Stanley Cup (because the chances aren't very likely, aren't likely for any team, 1/31), that he's not the main culprit for getting blamed.
Depends on AV's usage of him. If he gets 10 minutes a night, few would probably complain. If he on the other hand is out there in the last 30 seconds of a game defending a tie or 1 goal lead (because AV does love his dependable veterans)... the board will likely explode :)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Depends on AV's usage of him. If he gets 10 minutes a night, few would probably complain. If he on the other hand is out there in the last 30 seconds of a game defending a tie or 1 goal lead (because AV does love his dependable veterans)... the board will likely explode :)

Don't get me wrong, I think Staal and Holden in the playoffs were awful, but thats not the only reason why we lost.

We also didn't have an offensive difference maker in that series, nor did we get good goaltending, AV hurt the offense with some of his lineup decisions towards the latter end of the season, so there were a number of reasons why we lost to Ottawa, I just hope if we don't win the Cup that we aren't going to say everything's fine, get rid of the likely 6D and 7D from the team (and the coach who plays them), and then somehow we'll be much better in another year because of those three moves. Sometimes its not just about one or two bad players, sometimes there's a problem about the way the team is structured or it goes beyond just the whipping boys like Staal and Holden.

I don't think we'll win the Stanley Cup, its possible that I'm wrong and I hope I am, but if we don't, I think people need to take a good, hard look about how we've structured this team because I'm tired of us coming up short, whether its second round, first round, ECF, SCF. Losing is losing. If we want to win the Stanley Cup, I think we need a philosophical change with how the roster is structured, I said it after we lost last season and I said it throughout the offseason. We might be better this season or maybe we are worse, but I don't think we've yet philosophically changed how the roster is built or done it sufficiently yet to make us big contenders to win the Stanley Cup, just my opinion.

Reactions: yrrebbor

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The defense should be a lot better. Bringing in Shattenkirk was a huge move and we've got very good depth and what was our main weakness might now be our biggest strength.

I wonder about the goaltending. How many games can Henrik play and not wear down. He worked on getting leaner over the summer. How if at all will that impact his play? And Pavelec--is he going to be Raanta or Talbot good?--I'm thinking probably not but above average? or adequate?

I'm not sure that center is going to be a big issue but I don't think we have as much forward depth. If Chytil can put up 20 to 30 points--if Desharnais gets his game back to a level of two-three years ago we should okay in the middle.

Anyway I look at Pittsburgh and Washington being better teams at least in the regular season. I think Columbus is as well--deeper and younger. So if that plays out in the Metro the Rangers are a wild card 7th or 8th to get in. If the goaltending falters we won't make it. Pavelec IMO is going to have to give us some good games. Henrik can't play them all.

Other things that could make a difference for us:

1. a better power play--Shattenkirk and DeAngelo should help that.
2. more productive seasons from Buchnevich and Vesey.
3. Miller, Hayes, Zibanejad, Kreider and Skjei all taking another step that I think is within their reach. These guys need to become leaders.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
As always, I'm with Maximus. I'm absolutely "all for" sign into up with an ecf loss, and consider it yet another good year. Of course falling short of the ultimate prize is very hurtful, but one can gain a lot of fun in the journey. I only have one request......it's that we see that wonderful light at the end of the tunnel. I want to see marked improvement from some of our "core". Meaning Hayes, Miller and Kreids. I truly believe that Kreids will be the BEAST that we all know he has in him and Hayes will surprise as that 2c position......I've already seen he is up for the challenge. Nash will have a big year (contract) and our defensive structure and offense that we get out of it will be far and away enough to cover Stepan's absence. Oh yeah and the PP will easily be more efficient now that he plays for Arizona. Hank being "good" easily places us 2nd in metro and should reach ecf. Yeah, my glasses are in full blast. LGR's!

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
I wonder about the goaltending. How many games can Henrik play and not wear down. He worked on getting leaner over the summer. How if at all will that impact his play? And Pavelec--is he going to be Raanta or Talbot good?--I'm thinking probably not but above average? or adequate?
I think Pavelec will be stronger than both Talbot and Raanta. Pavelec has always been extremely athletic and talented. If Allaire can fix his issues with overcommitment he ought to impress.
Anyway I look at Pittsburgh and Washington being better teams at least in the regular season. I think Columbus is as well--deeper and younger.
Disagree here. Pittsburgh has issues at the blue line, as does Washington (Washington also is replacing Johansson with Vrana, not quite the same...)
Columbus is a wild card. I don’t think the swap of Saad and Panarin will be great for Wennberg 5v5, but should do wonders on the power play. They’ve got some of the same questions we do, except they have an even less experienced defense, and less depth at wing.

Reactions: Maximus

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011

He's definitely a bad NHL player at this point, and a problem, but he's likely to play a smaller role, and that would make him a smaller problem. Its hard to exactly forecast what the main problem could be (struggles at center, offense regressing, defense struggling defensively, goaltending struggling), but whatever it is, this team's success or lack there of will likely not hinge on the team's 6D. If Staal is the 2D, thats another story.

I think Staal is really, really bad. My post is also a joke, I'm not a fan of actually, literally, putting him down like a broken race horse

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Unless their offense becomes a good defense I believe they are going to be in for a long season where they can outpace most of the non playoff teams but struggle against the teams who are on a level above. I'd put them in the wild card race and like always it will come down to Lundqvist.

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm worried about the potential extra reliance on Hayes. I don't have the slightest faith in him responding positively. Obviously, Shattenkirk should be good for us as an offensive D, but he does make a lot of mistakes too. I would hope that he'd do very well, but wouldn't be too surprised if he wasn't anything special and performed in the mould of Yandle. I never thought Desharnais was up to much, hopefully he's one of those shrewd signings, but in his case, I'm sceptical. I fear that Smith might regress and that the last few months were him playing high above his standard. If AV ices Staal and Holden together on a regular basis then not only do I think NYR mightn't have a good year, my health might take a turn for the worse too.
I'm not generally particularly negative, but I'm shocked by the positivity on the boards. Doubtless it's gone by Christmas.
Basically, I think it will be more of the same. We're in a very tough division. I'd say we should get into the playoffs and are reliant on a step up from Kreider and a big year for the King if we're to be top four in the East or, more importantly, to go deep in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad