Pre-Game Talk: Season opener @ Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveV*

Really curious who gets the start? I'd give it to Reimer, out of respect and because he had a great camp. Still think Bernier ends up with the gig, but that remains to be seen.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
steve simmons ‏@simmonssteve 5m
Habs seem well prepared for Randy Carlyle's Leafs. They are using a line of Parros-Prust-Moen in today's practice.

Should be a good one!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets 38m

Leaf lines: jvr-bozak-kessel. Lupul-kadri-kulemin. (Clarkson)-bolland-kulemin. ashton-mcclement-orr. #TMLtalk

Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets 2m

Leafs pairings: dion/gunnarsson. Gardiner/franson. Ranger/fraser. Rielly is the extra. #TMLtalk

Looks like Rielly won't be playing tomorrow night. Insert Bodie for Clarkson, and that will be our lineup.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So if Bodie plays he'll be on the 3rd line and Ashton will be on the 4th? Doesn't make sense to me, I figured Ashton would be higher up.

Khobahi

Feb 13, 2013
Canada
It would be nice to start the season by destroying the Habs but I'll just be glad with the W. The beat downs are best saved for midseason when the points mean more.

to be fair... points mean the same the entire season... it would be better if we get into a position where we don't need the points to mean more..

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah, i'd rather not need the points down the road :laugh:

Lets run Carey from the net, and crush the Habs 7-0.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Ashton has played well and earned a spot. He's not without skill
Rielly will play the next game I'm betting - no biggie.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Also why did we put Bodie on waivers if we planned on playing him once McLaren went on LTIR? Why not just send Ashton down, and then when McLaren goes on LTIR call him back up and not risk losing anyone?

To me if we were going to call up someone who had to go through waivers it would have made more sense to send Ashton down instead.

Ergo I would think it would be a non waiver eligible player like Leivo(which would fit with the 3rd line spot being empty atm) who would come back up.

Wait and see I guess

Leafski

Jun 29, 2011
We have skill but should have a lot more.

Bodie and Aston over Leivo is total bs.
Fraser over Reilly once again total bs

Considering how mobile the rest of our d is, you really need a defensive d in there. At least in my opinion.

Phaneuf, Gunn, Ranger, Gardiner, and Franson are all either Two-way D or OFD. You put Rielly in there, who will clear the crease?

You can make the argument that vs the habs at least you don't need that too much but Gallagher (although small) is quite good in front, Patches and Prust will go there as well.

Like everyone else I'd love Rielly in there but you have to be smart with your pairings.

And yeah, i agree with you that it would be quite nice to see Leivo in there. I'd put him in over Bodie, but not sure about him over Ashton with Carlyles style.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Heading to LA tomorrow. Ugh. Missing the season opener. I never really had to pay attention before...but what site do guys use to stream the game ? Does the CBC web-site have it available ?

Worst part is that I am travelling with some annoying Hab fans. God I hope the Buds win.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
So if Bodie plays he'll be on the 3rd line and Ashton will be on the 4th? Doesn't make sense to me, I figured Ashton would be higher up.

Yeah I find that strange as well. Is Bodie's defensive game good? Would make sense putting him on the checking line if it is, if not then i dunno

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
well, Bodie's RH, and Ashton is LH, so that probably plays a part.

the other thing, though, is that I'm guessing that Randy wants to get his lines set as much as possible - and he looks at Ashton-McClement-Orr as a line all season, so doesn't want to juggle it when Bodie will provide a similar presence for now at least.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
steve simmons ‏@simmonssteve 5m
Habs seem well prepared for Randy Carlyle's Leafs. They are using a line of Parros-Prust-Moen in today's practice.

Should be a good one!

Moen sucks, I bet Ashton could beat him up.

Parros and Orr will probably go.

Who can fight Prust though? I would've said Fraser but he wears a visor and has a hole in his head now. McLaren and Clarkson are both out too.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
We had better win. Being a leafs fan in Montreal, seeing the game with people I know in public... I'll never be able to show my face again if we lose.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
We have skill but should have a lot more.

Bodie and Aston over Leivo is total bs.
Fraser over Reilly once again total bs

Leivo is not 100% ready for pro yet. He needs to get acclimatized to the physicality of the pro level, which the AHL is great for.

Besides, what would be the point of having Leivo on the 4th line playing with McClement and Orr?

Ashton is much better suited for that role and is a gritty, physical player.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Moen sucks, I bet Ashton could beat him up.

Parros and Orr will probably go.

Who can fight Prust though? I would've said Fraser but he wears a visor and has a hole in his head now. McLaren and Clarkson are both out too.

Moen can't fight.

Orr, Fraser, Bodie, Ashton is more than enough muscle to take care of the schroempfts.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Bodie earned his spot fair and square. He looked good in training camp as well as in pre-season. Just because he's not a young prospect with upside doesn't mean he shouldn't make the team.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
well, Bodie's RH, and Ashton is LH, so that probably plays a part.

the other thing, though, is that I'm guessing that Randy wants to get his lines set as much as possible - and he looks at Ashton-McClement-Orr as a line all season, so doesn't want to juggle it when Bodie will provide a similar presence for now at least.

when both Clarkson and McLaren come back Ashton could the the 13th forward and that 4th line is McLaren/McClement/Orr

Leivo is not 100% ready for pro yet. He needs to get acclimatized to the physicality of the pro level, which the AHL is great for.

Besides, what would be the point of having Leivo on the 4th line playing with McClement and Orr?

Ashton is much better suited for that role and is a gritty, physical player.

If Leivo were to come up and play to start the season imo he'd be on the 3rd line and Ashton on the 4th, that's one of the reasons I think he's more likely to come up than Bodie. If Bodie comes up I would have Ashton on the 3rd line and Bodie on the 4th but Ashton is practicing on the 4th

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Terry Koshan @koshtorontosun
#Leafs Carlyle says lineup will have 12 forwards and 6 D in lineup vs. Habs

So I'm guessing that they're gonna be allowed to put McLaren on LTIR, and Bodie gets the call. Cool.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
when both Clarkson and McLaren come back Ashton could the the 13th forward and that 4th line is McLaren/McClement/Orr

If Leivo were to come up and play to start the season imo he'd be on the 3rd line and Ashton on the 4th, that's one of the reasons I think he's more likely to come up than Bodie. If Bodie comes up I would have Ashton on the 3rd line and Bodie on the 4th but Ashton is practicing on the 4th

Even then our 3rd line is going to be relied upon a lot for shut-down capabilities. Leivo is a decent defensive player, but Randy wants to use Bolland and Raymond/Kulemin along with McClement a lot to go up against tough match-ups, facing teams' first and second lines. I don't think Leivo can handle that kind of responsibility just yet and I personally think he'd get overwhelmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad