GDT: Season Opener! Flames @ Capitals, 5:00 PM, TSN

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He played some really sheltered minutes though, I wonder what his FO% was during the games he was in the top-6.

Given my rough calculations in games where he played 15 minutes of more he won 46% of the draws. So a slight decrease but understandable. If you want him to get better your going to have to play him it is the only way he is going to learn.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He played some really sheltered minutes though, I wonder what his FO% was during the games he was in the top-6.

Sheltered? I've seen statistics which show him as having played really tough minutes last year, and with a lot of defensive zone starts. Or at least I thought I did. I really have not much of an idea how to read stats charts.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
From Roger Millions' Twitter:

Sean Monahan took a shot off his ankle in morning skate. Assisted off ice..will check on status. #Flames
Joe Colborne according to Hartley possibility. Medical staff will advise him on status of players. Stajan? #Flames
Will be at least one more Change for #Flames. Colborne a possibility I'm told. Some question whether Stajan can go tonight.
Hearing Joey MacDonald in goal for #Flames tonight. First start of the season...
https://twitter.com/RogMillions

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Sean Monahan swoops in to steal the 'first incredibly frustrating injury of the year' award right from long-time incumbent Mikael Backlund's nose.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Guessing that Sean is okay given that they had post-game commentary from him and nothing was said about a potential injury. The Stajan injury though is more worrisome. I'd rather they call up Knight or Reinhart than play Colborne.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Sheltered? I've seen statistics which show him as having played really tough minutes last year, and with a lot of defensive zone starts. Or at least I thought I did. I really have not much of an idea how to read stats charts.

He wasn't as defensive zone heavy as Stajan, Stempniak, Glencross and didn't have to play as tough linemates but he also wasn't sheltered. He was in the middle of our top 9 players he was less defensive than Stajan, Stempniak, Glencross, Tanguay but defensive than Sven, Hudler, Cammy, Cervenka.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
My thoughts on last night now that I have sobered up enough to some what type. Firstly **** you Galiardi that was a moronic penalty and cost us the win.

The good:
Karri Ramo - While not the greatest game ever played by a Flames goaltender he did make 35 saves and was very solid. I was very happy with his play considering this is his first game in the NHL since 2009.

TJ Brodie - Don't really know what else to say other than wow what a steal for a 4th round pick. Played almost 27 minutes on the top defensive pairing and imo looked much better than Gio did. He is the real deal and should be on the backend in Calgary for a long time.

Wideman - Looked amazing I would say he is our #1 defenseman right now simply put he can do it all. Idk what other fans were saying when we signed him he looks great both offensively and defensively and can deliver a serious hit when he wants to.

Jones - Only 1 game in and I am already starting to eat some crow about the trade for him. He was much faster than I remember and didn't shy away from driving the net and getting physical and has a great shot he could be a very useful player if he keeps it up.

Bouma- Love this kid great work ethic and never gives up on a play hope he is here a ling time.

The meh:
Monahan - He was better defensively than I thought he would be but he was tentative offensively and looked a little lost for most of the game. I am sure he while adjust to the speed of the NHL quickly but that wasn't the best first game.

Baertschi - A moments of greatness but wasn't consistent. He got knocked off the puck a lot and will need to gain some muscle. As the game went on he got better, hopefully he and Monahan can get some pp time and show us what they have.

Backlund - Had a good game but was terrible at faceoffs and got a little to cute in the 2nd and 3rd period (Most of the team did we need to stick to the game plan). He looks faster than last year and a little stronger hopefully he can fix the faceoffs.

Russell - Really hard to rate him as offensively he was amazing he always made the right pass and wasn't afraid to make the smart play instead of the fancy play, but defensively he was a wreck. He is very soft in his own end and seems to panic under pressure I think if he calms down he could be a top 4 defenseman.

The bad:
The 2nd period - Got too cute and didn't stick to the game plan. We gave them life and they beat us we simply have to learn how to close out a game.

SOB - Is maybe the dumbest player in the NHL and while he is effective at clearing the crease it seemed like anytime he was on the ice the puck was stuck in our end and he couldn't figure out where to be. God I hope Breen is back soon.

Galiardi - Not only did he take a dumb penalty that cost us the game but he wasn't very good tonight, he couldn't handle the puck and more often than not was falling over himself.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Guessing that Sean is okay given that they had post-game commentary from him and nothing was said about a potential injury. The Stajan injury though is more worrisome. I'd rather they call up Knight or Reinhart than play Colborne.

I'm pretty sure Monahan's ankle thing happened this morning, which would be after his post-game interview.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Pretty nice to not have to hear people rag on butler after a game.

Flames CBA Guy and I were talking on Facebook during the game. There was a play where Butler made a nice play to get the puck out of a crowd off the halfwall and both of us couldn't believe what we were seeing :laugh:

FWIW Butler had a pretty decent game last night. SOB was brutal but Butler looked alright.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
The good:
Karri Ramo - While not the greatest game ever played by a Flames goaltender he did make 35 saves and was very solid. I was very happy with his play considering this is his first game in the NHL since 2009.

Respectfully disagree (just got done watching the game). The team in front of him were on fire and Ovy just made some sick, sick shots. That said, he's shown signs of not being able to accurately track a glove side shot. Something for you Flames fans to keep an eye on. If this is the case, it's fixable. Chris Osgood used to be exactly the same way until the Red Wings coaching staff fixed it really well.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Given my rough calculations in games where he played 15 minutes of more he won 46% of the draws. So a slight decrease but understandable. If you want him to get better your going to have to play him it is the only way he is going to learn.

46% is pretty crappy. Right now he's 37%.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Respectfully disagree (just got done watching the game). The team in front of him were on fire and Ovy just made some sick, sick shots. That said, he's shown signs of not being able to accurately track a glove side shot. Something for you Flames fans to keep an eye on. If this is the case, it's fixable. Chris Osgood used to be exactly the same way until the Red Wings coaching staff fixed it really well.

I'm not saying your wrong as I think his weakness is puck tracking but it isn't as big of a deal as your making of it. Could it be better and do I hope he works on it? Yes, but he has admitted that the NHL is faster and I think he will adjust in time and I think his puck tracking is better than MacDonald's so when I say he was good I thought he was but also comparatively he is much better than MacDonald.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
46% isn't pretty crappy :laugh: That's about average in the NHL he is only 24 and he has gotten much better and more consistent every year.

50% is average. ;)

46% is below average, but not by much. Generally, people who are 46% on the draw will have games where they are dominated in the circle mixed with games where they dominate their opponents. For someone with slightly less than 50%, the former are usually more frequent and severe.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
50% is average. ;)

46% is below average, but not by much. Generally, people who are 46% on the draw will have games where they are dominated in the circle mixed with games where they dominate their opponents. For someone with slightly less than 50%, the former are usually more frequent and severe.

I would bet due to winger wins that the average for center is a little below 50%.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I would bet due to winger wins that the average for center is a little below 50%.

Wait, winger wins actually get credited to the winger, not the centre?

EDIT:

Oh, I see what you're saying. I would say that the average among wingers, if anything, is probably lower than that of centres, driving that percentage above 50%.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Wait, winger wins actually get credited to the winger, not the centre?

EDIT:

Oh, I see what you're saying. I would say that the average among wingers, if anything, is probably lower than that of centres, driving that percentage above 50%.

Would be interesting to look at. Either way 46% when in a top 6 role is not crappy it needs improvement but I think some are forgetting he is only 24.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
46% isn't pretty crappy :laugh: That's about average in the NHL he is only 24 and he has gotten much better and more consistent every year.

Maybe when you only take 100 faceoffs and 1 single faceoff moves you up and down a percent, but number one centres take 1000+ faceoffs and therefore it takes over 10 straight faceoff wins to move up a percent. I haven't looked at the extremes (worst/best faceoff guys) so I don't know the spread, but I'd bet (and I'm no math wiz) that 50% is the average over the course of a season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad