GDT: Season Opener! Flames @ Capitals, 5:00 PM, TSN

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Having a 2nd or 3rd line center that wins 48% of his draws is hardly a deterrent for a hockey club, especially when you take into account his ability to take the puck away from the opponent and transition it up the ice (which are both huge strengths of his game). We saw it last night when he forced the turnover in the neutral zone through hard work and an active stick, directly resulting in the Hudler snipe just moments later.

I agree that he should definitely continue to work on improving that area of his game, but it certainly should not be a pivotal factor in determining if he remains as a core piece of this team moving forward. I just don't believe that his faceoff ability is as you call it "broken", but it could always improve.

Anyway we spin it, the Flames are bad on the faceoff and we won't win many games without improving in this area, whether its through personnel or strategy. Backlund is a part of that problem, that's all I'm saying.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Anyway we spin it, the Flames are bad on the faceoff and we won't win many games without improving in this area, whether its through personnel or strategy. Backlund is a part of that problem, that's all I'm saying.

He isn't if he is the 2nd or 3rd centerman. Moving him to the wing only increases the problem when our other 3 options are rookies.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Yes but if we trade him I think it will be when we have several centerman able to take draws and we will most likely try and get a top 4 defenseman which we are desperate for right now.

I think it depends what we do this draft year and how Jankowski progresses in his development. Him and Monahan could be two big centremen. Plus we'll see what Arnold brings to the table, who plays a lot like Backlund.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think it depends what we do this draft year and how Jankowski progresses in his development. Him and Monahan could be two big centremen. Plus we'll see what Arnold brings to the table, who plays a lot like Backlund.

Not really Arnold isn't as fast and doesn't carry the puck. He is more physical and probably has a better defensive instincts. But I do agree we will have to wait and see but I think it is harder to find a top 4 defenseman UFA than a #3 centerman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad