GDT: Season Game 1: Red Wings at Devils 7:30 pm et 10/12/23 espn+

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I don’t think that game last night was representative of his offensive capabilities necessarily. I did see some of the same things you pointed out though.

He absolutely has the skill set to play on a power play and contribute in the offensive zone.
Absolutely. I think one of his best qualities is that he excels in offensive zone sets both 5v5 and on the PP. He is very good on the blue line and his shot selection is getting better. Offensively he just needs to not get selfish on the rush or in the neutral zone, and stay south of the half wall in the O zone. He doesn't need to do it all.

Reactions: raymond23

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
First of all, this is the first game of the season. Wings changed a lot of personell, match fitness is not there yet. You see this every year. This is why goal scoring is high the first few games of the season every year.

We were good until we weren't. I think the new defensemen were alright, but defense is a 5 man job, and the job starts when you lose the puck. Devils had a too easy time to take the puck into our zone. We had big problems, not many to carry the puck. You could say that the defensemen sucked because of the outlet passes, but the forwards have to make themselves available too.

As for Larkin, I am not sure if I remember correctly, but he was up against Hischier? That's one of the best two way forwards in the league. We need a 1-2 punch down the middle. Hopefully Nate will be that guy.

We played the Devils, not some bubble team or non playoff team. And the game could have gone either way. We outshot them, and dominated the game at times. Got to take the positives from this.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I want Seider to do it all. He's that talented. He's established, but still developing. Let him continue to make mistakes and learn. That's how he is going to reach his ultimate ceiling. Reeling him in to be only a defensive defenseman is, to me, preposterous. He's special. You don't castrate special.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
I shared the average age list to show that they aren’t massively older than anyone else. They’re quite literally in the middle of the pack with a bunch of guys who aren’t long termers.

Edvinsson, Kasper, and Berggren are going to play significant roles in their 23-24 season. They aren’t part of that average age, high would bring it down significantly.

They are high on the kids… but they’ve literally always been of the mindset that iron sharpens iron and the kids grab the brass ring when they are ready and can succeed.

It’s not that they think Chiarot, Gostisbehere, or Petry are better than Edvinsson and always will be… but more that Edvinsson will grow more from being allowed to get back in the swing of things at the AHL in a big role after an injury plagued season than being sheltered in the NHL.

Yzerman plays a patient game with developing players. He wants them to come up and pass in the pass/fail NHL.

I want Seider to do it all. He's that talented. He's established, but still developing. Let him continue to make mistakes and learn. That's how he is going to reach his ultimate ceiling. Reeling him in to be only a defensive defenseman is, to me, preposterous. He's special. You don't castrate special.
Re: Jaster is against castration. Good man. But if you’re not special, Jaster got no time for you

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
I feel like this game is a good example of the inconsistiencies from the refs. There were several right-of-way interference calls, but just as many that were non-calls. The perron "slash" was hilarious. He held his stick infront of the upper part of the stick and the Devils player skated into him. No chopping motion or really any directional motion at all.

The wings lost this game due in no fault to the refs. That does not change the inconsistient product the NHL puts on the ice due to poor quality of refereeing.

Probably pointless comments, but it makes it hard to watch any game in the NHL when this happens.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Maybe I expressed it poorly or too simply when I said "stay at home defenseman". I think he needs to focus more on even-headed defensive responsibility, not getting tilted and caught chasing the pucks or hits, and on the offensive side seeing more team-based escape valves in general (pass opportunities in the neutral zone, and on the o-zone blue line rather than tossing it on net blindly). Starting with a D responsibility message can drive the others.

Those thoughts are also driven by my opinion on him having a little lower ceiling offensively than defensively. His physicality, straight north-south speed (when not tired), backwards speed, 1st pass, and 1-on1s are top tier. IMO his first step/agility/tight space stickhandling is 2nd tier relative to other top defensemen. Tighten up on the strengths and get better decision making around the rest.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I wouldn't say regressing, but we're just stuck in the 18-25 range, and it doesn't appear to be ending anytime soon. Until the organization realizes what is going on, the team is average at best.

We'll probably pick around 9/10 again, and probably pass on high-offense players to draft another 2-way center that won't make the NHL until 2028.

The NHL is trending towards being a league of youth, yet the Wings management is doing the complete opposite, and keeps blocking their youth with players like Fischer, Holl, Gostisbehere, Chiarot, Petry, Perron.
You need to trust the plan. Wings are trending up and that's what is important!

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Maybe I expressed it poorly or too simply when I said "stay at home defenseman". I think he needs to focus more on even-headed defensive responsibility, not getting tilted and caught chasing the pucks or hits, and on the offensive side seeing more team-based escape valves in general (pass opportunities in the neutral zone, and on the o-zone blue line rather than tossing it on net blindly). Starting with a D responsibility message can drive the others.

Those thoughts are also driven by my opinion on him having a little lower ceiling offensively than defensively. His physicality, straight north-south speed (when not tired), backwards speed, 1st pass, and 1-on1s are top tier. IMO his first step/agility/tight space stickhandling is 2nd tier relative to other top defensemen. Tighten up on the strengths and get better decision making around the rest.
I'm totally on board with him continuing to work on things and developing, still plenty he can improve on, I agree. But I also think he can do just about anything. He's shown he can be calculating and efficient defensively, while being heady and skilled offensively. I'd like to see him continue to hone all parts of his game, while not being restricted in any way. In my estimation, he's the rare type of player who can handle way more than average and not be overwhelmed.

48b21251-4c9d-4df2-9555-cc59f5496edd_text.gif

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

100%, sky is the limit with him and he excels at so many aspects of the game. It would be a gargantuan mistake to railroad him into being a one-dimensional player.

Besides, the fact that he is a jack of all trades is a huge advantage. He may never be a PPG+ dman, but he can skate, he can chip in on scoring, he can defend, he sees the ice well, he holds the blueline very well. He is someone you can depend on in any situation. That’s a valuable trait in even a bottom 4/6 player. When you’re talking about a top line player who has these qualities, that is someone you build your team around.

Reactions: odin1981 and jaster

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
what the hell does that have to do with the fact theres a bunch of spiritless cry babys hanging out at this forum , its **** sickening without an adult babysitting
Well have fun trying to fix a problem that has existed ever since the invention of online message boards. You may not believe me but I hope you do solve it.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
The refs complaints don't resonate with me after the refs have us power plays after the Mo reverse hit and the Hughes retaliatory slash. I think we benefitted as much as the Devils from poor reffing.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The refs complaints don't resonate with me after the refs have us power plays after the Mo reverse hit and the Hughes retaliatory slash. I think we benefitted as much as the Devils from poor reffing.
I mean, the no call on Larkin getting his stick slashed out of his hands ended up with the puck in the back of our net seconds later. And then there's the generous icing call that also ended up in a goal against. I think part of what creates more outcry is the immediate goals after the calls.

And if they're gonna call that second Perron slash, then Hughes retaliatory slash was absolutely a penalty.

I don't think the Wings got screwed out of a win by the refs, but they sure weren't helping.

Murmansk16A

Apr 29, 2022
Hughes headbutted him in the face. Mo does a lot of reverse hits, but he has never headbutted anyone in the face.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad