Player Discussion Sean Monahan

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I like the production too but I'm not blind. He's been getting most of his production on the PP while doing very little besides either tapping the puck to Gaudreau or standing in the slot the entire time waiting for Gaudreau to place a perfect pass on his stick.
You do realize that is literally his job on the PP? He plays in the slot as what is often referred to as the "bump" guy. Meaning that due to his positioning in the slot, he will only have enough time to either take a shot, or make a quick bump pass, for which the objective is to relieve pressure on one of the other Flames players. Due to the nature of his positioning, his very job on the PP is to either tap the puck to Gaudreau or wait for a perfect pass for a shot.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
You do realize that is literally his job on the PP? He plays in the slot as what is often referred to as the "bump" guy. Meaning that due to his positioning in the slot, he will only have enough time to either take a shot, or make a quick bump pass, for which the objective is to relieve pressure on one of the other Flames players. Due to the nature of his positioning, his very job on the PP is to either tap the puck to Gaudreau or wait for a perfect pass for a shot.

Hey you don't think a guy should be criticized for doing his job? Sean is the best middle piece in the 1-3-1 in the league. Who's better than Sean at standing in the high slot on the PP? No one.

Also our PP has been filthy ridiculous since we switched to a 1-3-1 permantly (my desires of two seasons were finally answered). 2 high only works with a bomb ie Weber.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
For the Flames to be a real contender, Monahan needs to step up and be a dominant center.

As of now, he is just a goal scorer similar to guys like JVR, Skinner...That is not good but maybe good enough if other pieces come together.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Flames are still rebuilding IMO, though it's about to end. Next year they should at least seriously challenge for playoffs, and it takes 2-3 years after that to be contenders if everything goes well. Monahan has a lot of time to develop.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
For the Flames to be a real contender, Monahan needs to step up and be a dominant center.

As of now, he is just a goal scorer similar to guys like JVR, Skinner...That is not good but maybe good enough if other pieces come together.

Name the finishers Calgary has in their line-up today.

Calgary does not have 1 sniper in their line-up today that Monahan could feed and this leads him to use his skill to score. Many of you mention his winger goals but fail to recognize that there is not a finisher in the line-up other than maybe Thachuk. With the chemistry he has with Backs and Frols it is unlikely Matthew will be moved in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Name the finishers Calgary has in their line-up today.

How does this have anything to do with what I said. I said he is fine as a finisher but the Flames need more from him.

Plays die on his stick more often than not. He does not dominate when he is on the ice. His passing is horrendous.

It's not that he is a bad player (well at least recently), the Flames need more from him. 6.5M more.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

It's impressive, the number of posters who fail to recognize positioning as a skill.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
It's impressive, the number of posters who fail to recognize positioning as a skill.

I recognize it's a skill and I'm not taking anything away from Monahan. He's a hell of an asset on the PP and sets himself up well in the slot. All I'm saying is if you swap Monahan with another one of his PP linemates, he would have a much harder time doing what they do then them having a hard time doing what Monahan does, which is standing in the slot, positioning themselves for a great opportunity.

I'm happy with what Monahan does, because we don't need him to do anything different. But I'm not talking about his play on the PP. I'm talking about his play at even strength.

It's great that he's awesome on the PP and I'm just as happy as anyone to see him producing, but the fact of the matter is that he's still getting killed by the opposition at even strength and he makes boneheaded plays when he has the puck on his stick for more than a couple seconds.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Our PP, and Brouwer both struggled earlier in the year when Brouwer was set up in the high slot with Monahan in front. I know you're not trying to take anything away from him, but his skill set is what allows him to be effective as the bump guy, not everyone can do it. Brouwer wasn't effective earlier in the year, and I'm sure Gaudreau wouldn't be as effective there either.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Our PP, and Brouwer both struggled earlier in the year when Brouwer was set up in the high slot with Monahan in front. I know you're not trying to take anything away from him, but his skill set is what allows him to be effective as the bump guy, not everyone can do it. Brouwer wasn't effective earlier in the year, and I'm sure Gaudreau wouldn't be as effective there either.
There is no point in arguing, Monahan could will the Richard, Art Ross and Selke and these posters will still find a way to **** all over him

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
There is no point in arguing, Monahan could will the Richard, Art Ross and Selke and these posters will still find a way to **** all over him

Considering I've said many times that I love the fact we have Monahan on our team, don't make idiotic claims. If you're happy the way Monahan is and don't care enough to want to see him improve in certain areas, that's fine by me.

I know he's still young and therefor, still has tons of time to improve. I'm not happy settling on the current product we're seeing from Monahan because what I'm currently seeing is disappointing but I know he can perform much better. If you're happy seeing him underachieve, that's fine by me.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I know he's still young and therefor, still has tons of time to improve. I'm not happy settling on the current product we're seeing from Monahan because what I'm currently seeing is disappointing but I know he can perform much better. If you're happy seeing him underachieve, that's fine by me.

That's the way some people are. You cant say anything wrong about their home players

Monahan has certainly been a disappointment for the most part but they wont admit to it.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Gaudreau is more of a playmaker than sniper though, but Monahan has had a decent number of assists on Gaudreau's goals. Monahan's playmaking ability is SEVERELY underrated

JG's playmaking is certainly his greatest attribute, but I think he's pretty underrated as a sniper. The focus on Monahan's shooting ability (which is easily the best thing about him as a player at this point) does mean people tend to ignore his playmaking ability, but I don't know if I'd call it severely underrated. Then again, given the way we've been debating in this thread we probably have differing opinions on his playmaking ability, too. :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That's the way some people are. You cant say anything wrong about their home players

Monahan has certainly been a disappointment for the most part but they wont admit to it.

That's such a pile of crap. Seriously, you or any other poster can feel free to go dig up posts where "Monahan defenders" on this board have called Monahan a top 2-way player. I can almost guarantee that you won't find any in the last 2 years. Pretty much any sane poster has openly admitted Monahan has flaws to his game like basically any player his age does.

Have MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Jones or Lindholm all been studs since their draft? Or let's go back another year and look at more "seasoned" players, Yak, Murray, Galchenyuk, Reilly, Lindholm, none have had any inconsistencies either, huh? Well maybe you think that draft was poor, well in 2014 there was Ekblad, Reinhart, Leon, Bennett, Dal Colle. Monahan is in the same tier as every single player and produced more except for maybe Leon.

My point is, everyone will acknowledge Monahan isn't perfect. But his critics, criticize him because he's not Bergeron or Toews because that was draft profile. Call him what he is, he's a fine young player. If he has holes, that's up to the coach to teach him and deploy him to utilize his strengths and that's being done. Luckily for us we do have Backlund and we can use him as our elite shutdown C until Monahan gets to a point where he's more comfortable in that role. And if that day never comes, I'm still happy as heck that we have a player that can score 35-40 goals and is over 6ft in height.

It's not about defending the Flames at all costs, it's about sticking up for our players over blatant hate that comes off as trolling.

L13

Oct 1, 2015

I wish he was playing like Jeff Skinner, who is the Hurricanes' best player. Monahan has been a possession sieve all season long and the only thing that's changed is that his shots have started to go in again. (Which is, to clarify, a pretty valuable thing, but not something his teammates' play can benefit from.)

When Gulutzan moved him back to Gaudreau's side late in the game against Tampa my blood curdled. Gaudreau and Bennett have been doing well and should stay together. No idea how Monahan's recent play qualifies him to be on the first line and drag Gaudreau into the defensive zone every shift.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Have MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Jones or Lindholm all been studs since their draft?

Yes. :laugh:
Loved that player at the draft.

That being said, right now Monahan is more or less a hired triggerman. He doesn't drive play, his playmaking is not underrated; it's just not great at this time. He's got a killer shot and that's excellent because this team doesn't have a lot of great shots (Bollig might of had one of the best shots on the team last year, that's how 'meh' we are).

It's fair to want more. :popcorn:

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yes. :laugh:
Loved that player at the draft.

That being said, right now Monahan is more or less a hired triggerman. He doesn't drive play, his playmaking is not underrated; it's just not great at this time. He's got a killer shot and that's excellent because this team doesn't have a lot of great shots (Bollig might of had one of the best shots on the team last year, that's how 'meh' we are).

It's fair to want more. :popcorn:

I mean, Barkov has only had one season on Monahans level and now he is really struggling.

Sean does have decent playmaking but when he's the only one who shoots on the team, it goes undeveloped. I have always seen 40 goal upside but I see no reason he can't get 40 assists in a season either.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Oooooh how quick people are to forget. Monahan is far from a terrible passer, some of those tic tac toe plays with Gaudreau and Hudler were downright nasty, but because he's THE finisher on our team, blah blah, what's the point, it's been stated multiple times.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Going back to the 2012 draft only two players have more assists then Sean Monahan. Alex Galchenyuk and Nathan Mackinnon. Guy is a terrible play maker.. It's all Gaudreau. Am I doing this right?

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Going back to the 2012 draft only two players have more assists then Sean Monahan. Alex Galchenyuk and Nathan Mackinnon. Guy is a terrible play maker.. It's all Gaudreau. Am I doing this right?

No, you're failing super hard.

Monahan isn't the best in his draft class. So naturally that means he's just not good at hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00