Sean Monahan can rebound and put 60 points season with Habs?

Monahan can rebound a 60 points player with Habs?

• Yes

Votes: 20 8.6%
  • No

Votes: 212 91.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
So you think he will produce more being surrounded by less talent?

Less people on the depth chart ahead of him, lol. It’s the same reason so many players do well after being selected in an expansion draft … they moved from a team where they had no chance at top 6 minutes due to incumbent talent, to a team that didn’t have incumbent talent and will be giving top 6 minutes to players who wouldn’t have gotten those minutes elsewhere.

Now that might not be enough in Monahan’s case. But it is one way moving to a poorer team can result in more production.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Less people on the depth chart ahead of him, lol. It’s the same reason so many players do well after being selected in an expansion draft … they moved from a team where they had no chance at top 6 minutes due to incumbent talent, to a team that didn’t have incumbent talent and will be giving top 6 minutes to players who wouldn’t have gotten those minutes elsewhere.

Now that might not be enough in Monahan’s case. But it is one way moving to a poorer team can result in more production.

Monahan got opportunities at even strength on the power play with the big guns in Calgary last year. He couldn't produce.

He was replaced on the top line for a reason.

I hope he csn bounce back... but don't count on it.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
You'll be lucky if he scores 30. Guy was never that good, but I imagine injuries will hold him back as well.

Him scoring 34 points as a rookie isn't as impressive as you think it is, especially considering he shot at nearly 17%

He never scored at better than a 3rd / 4th line rate without Gaudreau during the entirety of his career. He was never a 60 point player on his own lol.
He shot at 17% because he was a very smart player and knew how to use his minutes. I watched Sean his entire career and I have no doubt he would have been successful with or without Johnny Gaudreau.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He shot at 17% because he was a very smart player and knew how to use his minutes. I watched Sean his entire career and I have no doubt he would have been successful with or without Johnny Gaudreau.
And still only had 34 points.

I also watched his entire career and I also have doubts.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I said yes
"Can"
Theres a slim possibility.

Very slim but pisdible. William Karlsson put up 40 goals with less support

Reactions: The Unshuffler

Oblivion Beckons

Jan 20, 2021
The delusional dream of Habs fans is Monahan having a 60 point bounce back and then he gets traded for a 1st at the deadline.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Lol…what a pipe dream. Why do Habs fans have to have delusions of grandeur? You got a future 1st for a guy who through his skill set combined with injuries is a complete liability in the 2022 NHL universe. Just be happy with the pick and anything above a warm body that a broken down and never quick to begin with Monahan can provide you.

What a ridiculous poll. It was a smart trade to gain a future asset by Hughes. Stop pretending like there is any payoff above that.

Walkingthroughforest

Aug 19, 2007
And still only had 34 points.

I also watched his entire career and I also have doubts.
As an 18 year old. When our leading scorer had 54 points.

Monahan was never a play driver but he is smart, has incredible hands down low, and is a good playmaker. He didn’t need Gaudreau to be a 60 point man.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I don’t think Monahan even plays top 6 in Montreal next year:

Caufield - Suzuki - Hoffman
Drouin - Dvorak - Anderson

As of now he’d be somewhere on the third line and that might even be a stretch considering dach dadanov and maybe slafkovský take those roles. Then there is gallagher who still makes a lot of money to not play top 9 either

All in all, monahan wont be started in a role to play anywhere near that level, not that I think he could if he was given that role

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
As an 18 year old. When our leading scorer had 54 points.

Monahan was never a play driver but he is smart, has incredible hands down low, and is a good playmaker. He didn’t need Gaudreau to be a 60 point man.
He absolutely needed Gaudreau to become a 60 point player. Hell, he was barely one with him.

Dude scored at a career 1.3 p/60 without Gaudreau at 5v5. That's nowhere near a 60 point player - that's like 20-25 5v5 points over a full season.

Also, he was 19 during his rookie season.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Lower the expectation to 30 points if healthy, 40 points is a miracle. His body is done but maybe rebuilds is career as a bottom six player.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He absolutely needed Gaudreau to become a 60 point player. Hell, he was barely one with him.

Dude scored at a career 1.3 p/60 without Gaudreau at 5v5. That's nowhere near a 60 point player - that's like 20-25 5v5 points over a full season.

He played so little without Gaudreau when at his best and rarely in good situations that you can’t really use WOWY to predict what he would have done. He wouldn’t have scored 60 as the best player on his line, but he was a top 6 player still for several years.

Walkingthroughforest

Aug 19, 2007

It’s not fair to use those stats as he played exclusively with Gaudreau after his rookie season and then was taken off his line as injuries took their toll.

You’ve been very vocal with your dislike of Monahan throughout the years and I hope he’s able to make you eat some crow this year.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
No and we don't even need him to be good or play i will be happy with 5 goals 5 assists who cares we are tanking baby

Lol…what a pipe dream. Why do Habs fans have to have delusions of grandeur? You got a future 1st for a guy who through his skill set combined with injuries is a complete liability in the 2022 NHL universe. Just be happy with the pick and anything above a warm body that a broken down and never quick to begin with Monahan can provide you.

What a ridiculous poll. It was a smart trade to gain a future asset by Hughes. Stop pretending like there is any payoff above that.
Most of us are not like this, but yes its quite embarassing

Reactions: BKarchitect
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad