Sean Couturier Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
It’s pathetic the Flyers organization played Couturier with an MCL tear. Players will willingly play through dangerous injuries, because that’s a part of the prevalent, backwards hockey culture. It’s the club’s responsibility to protect them and look out for the player’s health and career. IMO the NHL needs to take better measures to intervene in cases like this.

Reactions: Jiminy Cricket

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I love Couts....but it is amazing how quickly people have just forgotten about Giroux's 102 point season. I guess 19 points in the last 10 games was not good enough leadership.

Coots production dried up the last 1/3 and Giroux had to carry a bigger bulk of the workload for them to even make the playoffs..6 games later and who gives a f***, right?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It’s pathetic the Flyers organization played Couturier with an MCL tear. Players will willingly play through dangerous injuries, because that’s a part of the prevalent, backwards hockey culture. It’s the club’s responsibility to protect them and look out for the player’s health and career. IMO the NHL needs to take better measures to intervene in cases like this.
:doh:

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
And this captaincy talk is exactly what I'm talking about when I say how ridiculously shortsighted and reactionary some of the posting on this board is.

It's honestly embarrassing to see how unappreciated the play of certain players can be.

Couturier literally has one great game and that's enough to strip the C from the only reason we were in the playoffs?

What happens when Couturier goes through his first dry streak? We strip it from him? Give it to anyone who is hot at the time?

Should we have taken the C from Giroux and given it to Filppula after game 5? After all, Filppula had 3 points in that game.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

The guy obviously wanted to play. What's the NHL suppose to do? Couturier knew the risks and took them.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Also, playing hurt doesn't automatically mean he was at risk of further injuring himself. It could have only been a matter of pain tolerance and then getting surgery in the offseason.
He played through an MCL tear by the way. I'm assuming you don't know that because your post wouldn't make any sense otherwise. :teach:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
He played through an MCL tear by the way. I'm assuming you don't know that because your post wouldn't make any sense otherwise. :teach:
Coots didn't give a medical prognosis, but he said he would have missed a month of the season and would not need surgery - which means it was only a partial tear (1st degree), not a full tear (Grade 3, which would require surgery). I have had one of these. Very painful but if you keep it braced, there is no danger of making it worse. The fact he could skate as well as he could tells me it wasn't a total tear. There is good chart here under severity of MCL: Musculoskeletal Pathology

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Coots didn't give a medical prognosis, but he said he would have missed a month of the season and would not need surgery - which means it was only a partial tear (1st degree), not a full tear (Grade 3, which would require surgery). I have had one of these. Very painful but if you keep it braced, there is no danger of making it worse. The fact he could skate as well as he could tells me it wasn't a total tear. There is good chart here under severity of MCL: Musculoskeletal Pathology
A month recovery isn't grade 1 and would carry significant risk that soon after injury. I'd also get a better doctor.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Also, playing hurt doesn't automatically mean he was at risk of further injuring himself. It could have only been a matter of pain tolerance and then getting surgery in the offseason.

Sean Couturier played through torn MCL in Flyers' final 2 games

After the Flyers were eliminated by the Penguins in Game 6 Sunday (see observations), Couturier revealed he had been playing on a torn MCL in his right knee. It will not require surgery, he said.

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Coots production dried up the last 1/3 and Giroux had to carry a bigger bulk of the workload for them to even make the playoffs..6 games later and who gives a ****, right?

It's not even kind of like that, we all love Giroux here if you don't you're not a real fan. But when the lights were the brightest Couturier was the brightest star with a f***ing MCL tear. Giroux was invisible and absolutely dominated in this series. This seriously has the makings of a C swap ala the Sharks Big Joe > Pavelski. I think Coots has all the qualities to lead by example more so than an aging Giroux. Sorry but this was a statement series for me moving forward and Coots showed what he's about as a leader.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's not even kind of like that, we all love Giroux here if you don't you're not a real fan. But when the lights were the brightest Couturier was the brightest star with a ****ing MCL tear. Giroux was invisible and absolutely dominated in this series. This seriously has the makings of a C swap ala the Sharks Big Joe > Pavelski. I think Coots has all the qualities to lead by example more so than an aging Giroux. Sorry but this was a statement series for me moving forward and Coots showed what he's about as a leader.
Huge exaggeration and a horrible argument.

You're still basing this off of literally one game, while ignoring that Couturier was equally as disappointing in the previous losses as Giroux was.

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Huge exaggeration and a horrible argument.

You're still basing this off of literally one game, while ignoring that Couturier was equally as disappointing in the previous losses as Giroux was.

Not one game, the series went 6 games, Giroux was dominated and Coots showed up. Take the glasses off man, come on. He won game 5 with an MCL tear too.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not one game, the series went 6 games, Giroux was dominated and Coots showed up. Take the glasses off man, come on. He won game 5 with an MCL tear too.
Like I said, you're basing this off of one game and exaggerating the rest of the series. You just proved me right...

You're taking one game and pretending Couturier played that way the whole series... which is incorrect.

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Like I said, you're basing this off of one game and exaggerating the rest of the series. You just proved me right...

You're taking one game and pretending Couturier played that way the whole series... which is incorrect.

Game 5, Game 6. That's 2 games by itself, he also drove his line each game. Giroux was invisible and dominated.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Game 5, Game 6. That's 2 games by itself, he also drove his line each game. Giroux was invisible and dominated.
Giroux also scored in game 5...

So I repeat, you’re exaggerating Girouxs negatives and Couturiers positives.

Giroux wasn’t “horrible” or “dominated” all 6 games, just like Couturier wasn’t dominant all 6 games. You’re completely misremembering the series because you’re trying to push this Couturier narrative.

During the 3 other losses Couturier wasn’t making a difference either. They lost 0-7, 1-5, and 0-5.... where was Couturier then? Right next to Giroux in the failure department.

Fact is, they both had bad moments and good moments, the real difference being game 6. Which, for the hundredth time, isn’t even close to enough to prompt a change like you want.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Why? Sorry, but absolutely can't agree with that at all.

Because play on ice, especially in a small sample size, is not the sole indication of who should lead the team. You don't upend your leadership group like that, especially in a conservative social culture like the NHL that prizes loyalty and honouring your teammates.

Couturier may wear the C one day, but until Giroux is traded, retires, goes off the deep end, or chooses to relinquish it, that isn't happening.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Giroux also scored in game 5...

So I repeat, you’re exaggerating Girouxs negatives and Couturiers positives.

Giroux wasn’t “horrible” or “dominated” all 6 games, just like Couturier wasn’t dominant all 6 games. You’re completely misremembering the series because you’re trying to push this Couturier narrative.

During the 3 other losses Couturier wasn’t making a difference either. They lost 0-7, 1-5, and 0-5.... where was Couturier then? Right next to Giroux in the failure department.

Fact is, they both had bad moments and good moments, the real difference being game 6. Which, for the hundredth time, isn’t even close to enough to prompt a change like you want.
in farness He missed game four. So he was only there for 0-7, 1-5 not 0-5. But your point is still valid. The team got smoked and looked completely unprepared. Shutting down giroux has been the theme of every team since 2012. Pressuring G and Ghost on the powerplay has also been the theme for every team since the Caps did it in the playoffs.

To me we should have expect that this would be the strategy and plan accordingly. The PP was so bad. the only times its really looked great all season is when the is more movement and shuffling of players

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Yes these guys need more protection. They should also have ice time limits because some guys just play too much and the longer you play the more likely you are to get injured. Also the skates should not be so sharp because we have seen people get hurt. Perhaps they can also make a speed rule to ensure that no one gets too fast out there because the faster you go the more likely you are to be injured in a collision or a wipeout. Is there a way to make pucks softer but still be usable? I just hope that Couturier and the Flyers learned a valuable lesson here: if you have an injury, even if you can play through it, you shouldn't because I guess fans get mad or something? I'm not even sure what you're mad about.

Also that was sarcastic. If you can play, you play. It would be different he was forced to play through an injury, but I have no problem with a player volunteering to play through an injury.

Reactions: TroutHockey

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I don't want to quote everyone who responded, all I know is when the chips were on the table Couturier put the team on his back and showed up. Look at the type of team the Sharks have become stripping Thornton from C and giving it to Pavelski it's not a negative thing, it's the correct thing. Couturier will lead the youth into the future, for me there no debate here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad