GDT: Sea Monsters @ Milano Chia Heads - Jan 11, 2024 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
That was just hapless.

Watching the game... once it went to 2-0 Kraken you just knew that you might just aswell sweep this under the rug already. They looked like a team without any kind of pulse. It sort of reminded me of the team exactly year ago when they just quit when Carlson got hurt. That said hope they can pick it up with Lindgren back.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Credit to Seattle. That team is a wagon. But I was trying to think while watching them thud through the third: who is this team's most sudden, maneuverable skater? Jensen? (As seen with his Bobby Orr shift?) On paper it could be Kuznetsov but in practice hard to believe that aristocrat wins anything these days. They have far fewer that would put up a challenge than wouldn't, particularly when also tasked with playmaking at pace.

They're still a sad state of affairs athletically and lacking a headliner capable of single-handedly creating. When they face a team that's rolling and need to find another gear (esp. when down) it's often too tall an order. And it's not like it's just a few old, clunky pieces holding them back. They're a team that sort of glides around without much subtlety, so it's just as much about IQ/poise at the end of the day as physical limitations. With Wilson they can try embracing physicality and grind out points but then their centers minus Dowd aren't cut out for it. Vets like Oshie also just add to being behind the beat.

Just about halfway through the season you wonder how they'll manage to even be a mid team offensively any time soon. It's going to take a lot of changes, a lot of clearing out of the dead weight but also a very targeted approach that may take a while to execute.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I don't know why all of a sudden no one on this team can finish. I don't think they have struggled as much to score goals in recent years. Is it the personnel? Ovi is too old? The young guys aren't scoreres? Something about Carbery's system? Doesn't help that Keumper is not very good.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Goal differential at -26 now. When we lose, we get thumped. When we win, we barely scrape by.

We’re 29th in shooting percentage (and could easily be 31st after last night), so math suggests we’re owed a few. But maybe the system requires too much energy expenditure - for this group anyway - in terms with of defense and support and general effort that is not scoring chance-related, that by the time we’re in a position to score, guys are too fatigued.

It would maybe explain the cratering that seems to occur once we get down 2 or more after the midway point of the 2nd - enough guys get a case of the f***-its, and decide the commitment to defense and puck support ain’t worth it, and that fattens the margin of defeat

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
After the 5th drop pass didn't lead to a scoring chance, I turned it off.

When does Chucky get back?

This team has no faith with Keumper in net.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
It's looking less and less like Ted is keeping the promise he ostensibly gave to Ovie to keep the team a competitive team . No wholesale sell-off is one thing, but hey Ted, is this what you call keeping them competitive? You can't even trot out a Mystics-like "Lead the league in attendance" banner for them. What's that, Ted? You got a call coming in from Yungkin? By all means, tend to business. In the meantime, tell us, what marching orders have you given BMac to follow-through on your commitment? Or is whatever he's doing not Big Picture enough for you?

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
My sister lives near Potomac yards metro, no way a stadium works there. The transportation makes downtown look easy to drive. Caps need to stay in Chinatown.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
It's looking less and less like Ted is keeping the promise he ostensibly gave to Ovie to keep the team a competitive team . No wholesale sell-off is one thing, but hey Ted, is this what you call keeping them competitive? You can't even trot out a Mystics-like "Lead the league in attendance" banner for them. What's that, Ted? You got a call coming in from Yungkin? By all means, tend to business. In the meantime, tell us, what marching orders have you given BMac to follow-through on your commitment? Or is whatever he's doing not Big Picture enough for you?
I’d look at BMac before you look at Ted but that’s just me.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
I don't know why all of a sudden no one on this team can finish. I don't think they have struggled as much to score goals in recent years. Is it the personnel? Ovi is too old? The young guys aren't scoreres? Something about Carbery's system? Doesn't help that Keumper is not very good.
Some of it's bad luck with finishing, but this team also seems to go on long stretches almost every game where they absolutely cannot turn offensive zone possession into actual scoring chances. The second and third periods last night were that way. Mostly they turn it over immediately, but when they do manage sustained possession it's by the skin of their teeth. It feels like they're playing hot potato rather than moving the puck with purpose and all they ever generate is point shots. I don't know if the system's to blame or the guys just aren't even good enough to put the system in place. The only way the Caps can score when they get this way is off of defensive zone turnovers and breakaways, so their path to victory is just trying to be the 2010 Habs.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Some of it's bad luck with finishing, but this team also seems to go on long stretches almost every game where they absolutely cannot turn offensive zone possession into actual scoring chances. The second and third periods last night were that way. Mostly they turn it over immediately, but when they do manage sustained possession it's by the skin of their teeth. It feels like they're playing hot potato rather than moving the puck with purpose and all they ever generate is point shots. I don't know if the system's to blame or the guys just aren't even good enough to put the system in place. The only way the Caps can score when they get this way is off of defensive zone turnovers and breakaways, so their path to victory is just trying to be the 2010 Habs.
I think they’re just really limited skill-wise and athletically. We don’t have guys that can really drive play and push the pace. No one really scares and backs up opposing D.

Watch any decent team on a given night and you can see how lacking we are in talent right now. Most teams transition from defense to offense much quicker than us, and have fast, skilled players that pressure opposing D and goalies (instead of fumbling around and turning the puck over).

Add to that an inability to finish due to lack of high end skill and here we are. It is what it is until we get some real difference makers, either in trades or picking in the lottery several more times.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think they’re just really limited skill-wise and athletically. We don’t have guys that can really drive play and push the pace. No one really scares and backs up opposing D.

Watch any decent team on a given night and you can see how lacking we are in talent right now. Most teams transition from defense to offense much quicker than us, and have fast, skilled players that pressure opposing D and goalies (instead of fumbling around and turning the puck over).

Add to that an inability to finish due to lack of high end skill and here we are. It is what it is until we get some real difference makers, either in trades or picking in the lottery several more times.
Yup this…our difference makers (for the most part) are not that any more. Our youngsters are just kinda middling….it is what it is. CMM should be up there leading that group and has been pretty invisible for a month.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I feel ya, I went to a game with my sister with a ton of anti-war protesters on the metro and felt awkward wearing throwback red, white, and blue caps stuff.
Im a bit worried .. how close is freedom plaza to cap one?

google .. oh f***ing great like 4 blocks or less away

Should i suggest she not go?

f***ing A

my brain goes worst case scenario ... they might harrass Caps fans and just business/capitalism as is

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Eeeekk

My wife and her sister are going down to the game tomorrow at 1 pm via metro

big protest thing tomorrow in DC at 1 pm
I was in DC in November to catch a game and apparently there were large protests there too that day but we didn't see anything by the arena. All those morons marched straight to the white house that day. We got lucky i guess. Wishing the same for your wife and sister in law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad