Seravalli: [SEA] Jamie Oleksiak signs with the Kraken (5 years)

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stupid question, can they still take another player from Edmonton and Dallas since technically those players signed as UFAs?

Yes but then Larson and Oleksiak will be able to test the market and might sign elsehwere after all.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I think the best argument for Seattle selecting him is they could retain at the deadline and flip him for some assets. More assets than any other available Flame is worth.
And if they are in a playoff spot or close to one at the deadline, then what? I’d say trade him regardless but not sure management would do it then. It’s a good idea in theory but who knows how the season unfolds.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Stupid question, can they still take another player from Edmonton and Dallas since technically those players signed as UFAs?

No. My understanding is that if Seattle signs a UFA during this exclusive negotiating window, it becomes their selection from the original team.

Reactions: TFHockey

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
No. My understanding is that if Seattle signs a UFA during this exclusive negotiating window, it becomes their selection from the original team.

This is correct

Makes sense tbh....yeah they could have just went for them in FA, but theres a risk involved there, and given either team really didnt have much exposed (Benson from EDM mighta been ok, but i'd rather have Larsson than Benson + maybe Larsson), its not a bad move

Reactions: LokiDog

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Price? I wouldn't touch a 34 year old goalie having hip surgery. Especially one making $10.5M per year.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Oleksiak is just baiting in that he will sign, so they pick him and not another player, and then leave for Dallas :sarcasm:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
And if they are in a playoff spot or close to one at the deadline, then what? I’d say trade him regardless but not sure management would do it then. It’s a good idea in theory but who knows how the season unfolds.

I think that if they’re in a good spot and think they can actually make a run like the inaugural Vegas squad, then they’d be okay with self renting him. A good playoff run would certainly cement their popularity and make them a more desirable spot for future UFAs. That’s getting way ahead of things though. He’s definitely got value at 50% at the TDL to a contender. If they manage to feel like they have a shot at a deep run, he has value to them as their own free rental .

Reactions: Em etah Eh

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
This but I think Gourde is gonna be too tempting...or Tampa is going to bribe them to take Johnson..not sure with what but...
they may take gourde first and than ask for foote as the bribe to take johnson. :naughty:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Oleksiak might still pondering the deal the Stars offered vs what the Kraken are offering . Dunno .

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Owners and GMs are not as butt hurt as NHL fans are. Francis will not bite his nose to spite his face because Kucherov got surgery.

Based on fact that no trade has been made it looks like Seattle will be selecting their number 1 C Gourde.

Easy pick. No need to complicate it.
Unless you are able to select Foote or Joseph today and then get Gourde, Palat or someone else in a steal of a deal tomorrow.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Good for Seattle—getting a reliable top-4 defenseman that can move the puck, chip in offensively, and play a heavy game if needed. Great selection.

Good for Oleksiak—even paired with Heiskanen, he earned a good next contract for himself. He had every right to seek a good payday.

Good for Dallas—they should not be spending limited cap money on Oleksiak. The past few years’ iteration of the blue line has come to an end, and it now needs to be reimagined and rebuilt around Heiskanen as the #1.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'm interested to see if any players end up back with their old team. Will Seattle offer Larsson back to Edmonton for their 1st round pick? Would Edmonton do that? Would Seattle go to Dallas with an offer like that for Oleksiak?
Can't happen

Yes, it can. There's no rule barring Seattle from trading a player back to the team they claimed him from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad