GDT: SCP Game 5| New York Islanders @ FLPanthers | April 22nd | 8:00 PM | F/2OT 2-1

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
They'll need to keep getting to make Luongo go post to post because he's susceptible to goals. The Pulock and Quine one timers really show that weakness and leddy could've had one too.

Keyserfrans

Feb 14, 2015
Bailey was exceptionally bad tonight BUT.... The irony is that he made a key dig to get it out to the point on Quine's goal which is the second time he has done that in an overtime win this series. Please don't get me wrong, he is bad!!! But credit where credit is due, he contributed at some key moments.

THANK YOU!!!

Nobody talked about that super pinch/dig he made to Nelson, so he could make the great pass to Hickey in game 3.

I agree tho, most of the time he looks as uninterested, as a cashier at McD.

Lets hope Gallant's rolling with 3 lines has made them tired and we take game 6 easy!

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
LOL, so for John Buccigross' OT challenge, 13 people out of around 12,000 picked Hickey, 10 out of about the same number picked Quine. funny when an unexpected guy ends it.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
Maybe we should dress 7 defensemen so that Pelech can play after Zidlicky is Visnovskyed by Garrett Wilson.

I was very happy with Zidlicky's play and pretty surprised at the physical game he showed.

Now game 6? I'd be more open to Pelech or possibly Mayfield because Zidlicky's effectiveness diminishes quickly I guess because of his age. Plays great in spots but have to use him carefully too.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Look, i'm far from his biggest fan but perhaps he just said "**** it" and is revealing a side of him we didn't know about. Between telling the kids to pick their **** up and giving the refs an ear full tonight, he may not be the pushover we've chalked him up to be. He also isn't Hitchcock or a Babcock either.

Until Cappy recognizes that Josh Bailey is the weak link in our lineup and scratches him I can't give Cappy any props. He scapegoated Ryan Strome again last night. One day Capuano will realize that his best lineup will have Strome at center and Brock Nelson on the wing.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
While Pelech is the better defender and the fresher legs the problem is that Zidicky fills the void of Pulock on the power play. They have to roll out with Zid again because there is no one else to QB the point. And he as good last night!

I was very happy with Zidlicky's play and pretty surprised at the physical game he showed.

Now game 6? I'd be more open to Pelech or possibly Mayfield because Zidlicky's effectiveness diminishes quickly I guess because of his age. Plays great in spots but have to use him carefully too.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
They really picked up steam after the second and looked like the better team in overtime. Don't remember many rebound opportunities for Panthers. 4th line was much more effective.

They have to start better the rest of the way. With the win I doubt the line-up changes or the strategy for that matter.

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
That was an amazing game to watch, scary at times because we couldn't sustain pressure - but the same thing could be said about the Panthers.

Quine the hero? That was a great shot and great play to get the puck around to him too.

A lot has been said well in the last few posts. Bailey looked bad again, except for some plays along the boards again. Zid looked like he did 10 years ago, hopefully he has long enough to recharge before Sunday. I don't think we see Pelech in for him at this point.

Greiss was rediculous. Game 5 is usually a pivotal game, especially going back home for game 6. We had a goaltender carrying the team on his back, it's just unfortunate he didn't have the goal support on the other end. Here's to hoping the team can taste victory and comes out and completely owns the next game.

And I'm going to be there to witness it. I don't want to go home with a loss. I want to go home with no voice.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Watching us play rope-a-dope in our end is giving me an ulcer. Maybe, just maybe, we can work on clearing the puck a little better for Game 6.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
At this point I don't think Halak is coming back unless we reach the ECF or Greiss collapses mid-series vs Tampa if we make it there. He's playing well enough now even if Halak is ready come Friday he won't start IMO.

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie
I never had a good feeling going into this game, but having to leave for work with the game going into overtime, had me loving our chances, as I've seen this organization pull these type of games out since the 70's and Quine just added his name to a lengthy list of Islanders overtime heroes. Hopefully, we close this series out on Sunday, as my heart can't take a game 7, but will if it has to. LETS GO ISLANDERS :hockey:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I never had a good feeling going into this game, but having to leave for work with the game going into overtime, had me loving our chances, as I've seen this organization pull these type of games out since the 70's and Quine just added his name to a lengthy list of Islanders overtime heroes. Hopefully, we close this series out on Sunday, as my heart can't take a game 7, but will if it has to. LETS GO ISLANDERS :hockey:

I still do not feel too good about tomorrow. We've just been outplayed too much. You would think at some point we will have a game in the series where we just flat out dominate them, most even series each team has a game where they do that. The Panthers sure have done it already. I do think if somehow they can jump out to an early lead it could deflate Florida. What you hope at this point is Greiss gets in their head and they start trying for perfect plays instead of just shooting, that is a killer when a team starts doing that in the playoffs, because pretty goals rarely happen in the postseason.

TamaTavares

Jan 19, 2013
Richmond, VA
Reading a lotta comments from non-Isles/Cats fans who are saying this series has been great..I guess every game has been close in terms of score, but man, some stretches of those games have been flat-out boring, no? Aside from Greiss, it's certainly been brutal as an Isles fan trying to find positives after each period. Just weird how a rooting interest/critical eye can skew one's view so drastically.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
That

Greiss was rediculous. Game 5 is usually a pivotal game, especially going back home for game 6. We had a goaltender carrying the team on his back, it's just unfortunate he didn't have the goal support on the other end. e.

I was worried about Greiss after game 1. I thought he was flopping around too much and gave up too many rebounds.
So glad he's made me eat my words:laugh:

He has been a beast the last few games.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Watching us play rope-a-dope in our end is giving me an ulcer. Maybe, just maybe, we can work on clearing the puck a little better for Game 6.

LOL.. we had numerous turnovers yesterday (Clutterbuck, CDH and KO had very dangerous ones in our own zone), we lost gap and containment on numerous occasions (JTs led directly to the goal), yet you want and half the board wants to spend all of their energy focusing on Bailey.. Yes he fell down yesterday, which was funny, so did KO a few moments later btw... Bailey but would not have been the reason if we lost yesterday.. Maybe Cappy decides he sits, he hasn't been good. Strome should be in tomorrow but this is one time Cappy has it right and our fanbase is just out of control with the amount of blame placed on this guy.

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
lOAvzCW.jpg

0oiggLi.jpg

cNWi3Az.jpg

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Zidlicky was an unsung hero in that game last night. He was making big hits, shooting everything on the PP at the right times (which we sorely need more of), and that set up for the OT goal of course. He's better than Boychuck on the PP. Sure, the shot isn't AS hard but he gets it on net and shoots when he should.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Crazy game, almost lost my mind by the end of the first overtime lol.

The Panthers are a damn good team, and are gonna be good for a good while. Both teams have promising futures, hopefully we don't end up having to face them too often in the playoffs in the near future, we really just don't have an answer for their possession game if they establish themselves in the Isles zone

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Completely disagree

It wasn't a dominant performance but (especially in OT) the Isles were definitely better

LOL, It never would have gotten to OT if Greiss didn't stand on his head. The Panthers only had a few more shots on goal, but they had so many legitimate scoring opportunities. I didn't go back and look at chances but I'm sure quality scoring opportunities were abundant compared to the Isles. Most of our shots were harmless and from the outside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad